Droid 4 internal battery swap possibility?

MistaMean

Reaction score
I found an article detailing how a normal Droid RAZR's battery was swapped and fitted with a RAZR MAXX battery after some small modifications.

Tech Crunch:
Wish Your Droid Razr Had Maxx Battery Life? It Can! | TechCrunch

Droid Life:
Battery Jealous DROID RAZR Owners, the RAZR MAXX Battery and Cover Will Fit Your Device – Time to Get Modding – Droid Life

This led me to search the Internet for a replacement battery for the Droid 4, and I found the following.
Motorola Droid 4 XT894 Battery SNN5905A

Now, after reading these articles and seeing pictures of the battery being removed from the Droid 4, I feel very optimistic about an aftermarket company being able to develop a larger battery and back cover for the Droid 4. If all that needs to be done is peel the sticker off and remove a few small screws then that seems easy enough. I have noticed that when I take the back cover off my Droid 4 there seems to be a little extra space in between that may be able to accommodate let say a 2,500 mAh battery. I would like to see templates for at least two different sizes, a 2,500 mAh and a 3,300 mAh battery that could rival the RAZR Maxx. Now, I know we are still early in the life of the Droid 4 and I don't have any intentions of trading my Droid 4 in for a RAZR Maxx but I still wouldn't mind having a little extra juice for my Droid 4. What do you guys think and would you like to see a larger capacity battery/back cover developed for our Motorola Droid 4?

ezeddiekun

Reaction score
Ehh I would only consider doing a mod like this after a year since peeling the sticker voids the warranty..

Sent from my DROID4 using DroidForums

TC_Mits

Reaction score
For me, the question that keeps coming back is, 'WHY?!!'

What could be the reason that vzw demanded Moto put us through all these absurd gyrations?

It's not, as it's always supposed to be, about the money. The plastic bag hybrid battery costs more.

It appears that some vzw genius thinks that the best way to compete with Apple in this maverick Android market is to force us to buy Android phones that are more and more like iPhones.

Brilliant!

There are still folks out there that think Android style. Mozilla is about to out-Android Google:

http://m.cnet.com/Article.rbml?nid=57376349&bid=57376349&bcid=null&test=null

http://www.extremetech.com/computin...o-combat-apple-and-google-with-its-own-device

I can't wait!

Perspective instantiates reality.
( By DX w/DF app. )

B-Unit

Reaction score
What I want to know is where you get this idea that VZW is behind the non-removeable battery? Moto designs the phone, then shops it to carriers, either they bite or they dont.

TC_Mits

Reaction score
What I want to know is where you get this idea that VZW is behind the non-removeable battery? Moto designs the phone, then shops it to carriers, either they bite or they dont.

Nah. No manufacturer makes anything without an eye to the market. Many, if not most, produce to fill customer orders.

In this case, it is well-known, for example, that Moto makes global phones and that vzw then demands that the GSM capabilities be disabled -- like with the D4.

The 'RAZR' concept is all vzw, not Moto. The Lady in Red, like Lola, gets what she wants. And it was her addictive mania for cellular anorexia that demanded the expensive, inconvenient, potentially dangerous, and altogether unnecessary polymer hybrid battery-in-a-bag.

( By DX w/DF app. )

B-Unit

Reaction score
Thats a great story. Got any evidence to back it?

Reaction score
That os has nothing to it if that is really what Firefox os really looks like

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

OP
MistaMean

MistaMean

Reaction score
Well, I was wondering if Motorola has a patent on this battery design that could prevent an after market company from making a compatible larger capacity battery for the Droid 4? Maybe we'll have to wait for when the mythical Droid 4 Maxx Global becomes available and their batteries and spare parts start to show up on Ebay:biggrin:. Now, I would like to make it very clear that I am satisfied with the D4, but I guess I have the itch to supe it up even more than just rooting it. Right now we are just waiting on fastboot for D4, ICS:blink:, after market replacement parts, and the possibility of a future software update to enable the GSM radio (going to Germany for 2 weeks this summer). All these seem obtainable and not so far fetched to me. Check out this additional information in the links below.

Global Phone update?
Motorola Droid 4 and LG Spectrum will have global GSM roaming, eventually | The Verge
https://forums.motorola.com/posts/72961d1549?start=1&stop=15

iFixit tear down of the Motorola Droid 4:
Motorola Droid 4 Teardown - iFixit

TC_Mits

Reaction score
It appears that some vzw genius thinks that the best way to compete with Apple in this maverick Android market is to force us to buy Android phones that are more and more like iPhones.

Brilliant!

A Singer who can "sound like the stars" (e.g. Billy Voltaire) is a lounge rat. You need to differentiate to reach the top.

( By DX w/DF app. )

TC_Mits

Reaction score
Well, I was wondering if Motorola has a patent on this battery design that could prevent an after market company from making a compatible larger capacity battery for the Droid 4?

No Moto patent. It's the same battery tech used in iPhones.

What I'd really like to see is a std Lithium hard metal case extended battery that would fit the D4. So, it'll be a major brick in my pocket -- it'll be a much more useful brick!

( By DX w/DF app. )

TC_Mits

Reaction score
That os has nothing to it if that is really what Firefox os really looks like

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Nope. Totally different concept. More along the lines of Chrome OS.

Don't be too quick to count Mozilla out. The Firefox browser beat out IE when MS had 90% of the market. Firefox, of course, is a browser and not an operating system.

Btw FF11 browser out March 13 does have Flash support.

( By DX w/DF app. )

HazQuest

Reaction score
3D printing to make back cover.

No Moto patent. It's the same battery tech used in iPhones.

What I'd really like to see is a std Lithium hard metal case extended battery that would fit the D4. So, it'll be a major brick in my pocket -- it'll be a much more useful brick!

( By DX w/DF app. )

Getting a larger back cover shouldn't be so hard or expensive. With todays 3D printing services you can choose to make it out of metal or plastic and since its a small object it will be inexpensive. Drawing the template shouldn't be so hard either, since using the old cover for dimensions.

Sparkimus

Reaction score
Nah. No manufacturer makes anything without an eye to the market. Many, if not most, produce to fill customer orders.

In this case, it is well-known, for example, that Moto makes global phones and that vzw then demands that the GSM capabilities be disabled -- like with the D4.

The 'RAZR' concept is all vzw, not Moto. The Lady in Red, like Lola, gets what she wants. And it was her addictive mania for cellular anorexia that demanded the expensive, inconvenient, potentially dangerous, and altogether unnecessary polymer hybrid battery-in-a-bag.

( By DX w/DF app. )

If VZW told Motorola to make phones with non removable batteries, then why do the international versions of the RAZR (including the various Chinese models) have the same setup?

RAZR is completely Motorola's thing. The only thing VZW has is the name Droid, and they are paying Mr. Lucas to use that.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2