DROID 4 ICS wipe data

Discussion in 'Droid 4 Tech Support' started by jasonian2255, Jul 1, 2012.

1. jasonian2255

jasonian2255 New Member

I have a droid 4 with ICS loaded on it. Is it safe to do a wipe data/factory reset on it?
  2. kwyrt

kwyrt New Member

When you say you are on ICS, are you talking about one of the ICS leaks? A factory reset shouldn't break your phone if that is what you are asking. All it really does is wipe out all your personal data.
  3. jasonian2255

jasonian2255 New Member

Yes i have the 213 leak, i didnt know if it did the wipe data if it would mess up cuz factory is gingerbread os
  4. hradek422

hradek422 Member

I can confirm that a factory data reset does not break your phone. I just did one without even thinking to look for a thread like this. Luckily, all went well.
  5. tcrews

tcrews Premium Member Premium Member Developer

A "Factory Reset" doesn't do anything but wipe user install apps and configured settings. As a "user" has no access to /system or anything else a "Factory Reset" does not touch those protected partitions. It has no clue or idea of what OS you are running, it just wipes out all the configurations you've done and the apps you've installed.

This is why a "Factory Reset" can be so bad for users who root their devices and do things in the /system partition. Some "bloatware" apps are needed for the setup process so when all that configuration information is wiped...and the apps are no longer there to run because a user deleted them....the setup process fails and the user is unable to complete a boot of the device.

There is no backup/spare/hidden copy of the OS on the phone. What is on it is what is on it.......stock, screwed up stock, updated to ICS, whatever.....Factory Reset doesn't do anything with that aspect of the device. It just wipes out your settings/configurations/data/downloaded apps.
Search tags for this page
android ics data wipe
data wipe on droid 4

droid 4 factory data reset ics

droid 4 factory reset

droid 4 factory wipe
droid 4 reset with user data wipe

droid 4 wipe

factory data reset droid 4

how to wipe a droid
reset droid 4 wipe
wipe data android ics