Droid 4 ICS Keyboard Backlight (and other issues)

garybracket

Reaction score
My backlight on my keyboard is gone, the only way to make it work is to open the Brightest Flash Light app. After that, it will stay on till I turn the screen off again.. Whoopdeedoo. The in-pocket detection is also gone on my Droid 4 after the update. Not only that, my e-mail no longer works (always empty, even for the last 4 days, nevermind the fact that I have 20 emails in my email that I can see from my PC), the sync settings for email are GONE (can't adjust when to sync). No e-mail, no backlight, no in-pocket detection. I Factory Reset my phone, and nothing, now I get to reinstall apps and reapply peoples' contact photos. This update looks and feels AWESOME, but to make my phone useless in the dark when I'm in bed (which is the only time I use it other than at work), why? What is the point? I know the backlight is related to the in-pocket detection sensor being disabled (i don't even see the red infrared light in there anymore). I really don't want to send my phone in, I've had it since February and it still works awesome.

snowman

Reaction score
There is a lot here you did a reset which means you don't have to reinstall any contacts or apps
sign into Google it will reinstall all the apps and bring back contacts

my key board light quit till I rebooted the phone
you have to re enter your e-mail settings if you rebooted the phone back to factory stock I'm sure the gmail account is ok just your other one is not
set your Sync options in the phone setup again since you re booted it back to stock
you created a lot of problems yourself by resetting the phone I installed ICS and most everything worked fine except my e-amil account that was not gmail
and a few settings if you have a D4 that is awsome thats pretty weird they just suck mostly compared to a lot others out there most of us are stuck ith them till the
contract runs out if they last that long I'm on my 4th now
you never send it in they just send a refurb and then you send back the old one on their dime, but AFTER A YEAR WARRANTY RUNS out then what?
there is definatley a learning curve on ICS be patient
good luck and welcome to the Forum, snow

OP
G

garybracket

Reaction score
Under sync frequency, I see Automatic (Push), and i can't do anything to it (it's grey). I've re-added, cleared cache, and etc. I have 1 email under g-mail that I got 2 days agom but no others. Other email (hotmail) is empty. Working on keyboard now..my email and keyboard light is the only problem i have..does your sensor for in-pocket still work? I read the keyboard light uses this to turn on?

altarobert

Reaction score
The backlight on your keyboard is now tied into the automatic brightness setting. I was getting frustrated when I couldn't figure out, but after I had turned off the lights in my office at the end of the day and went to send a text message i realized that it only turns on when it is dark enough around. I'm guessing this was one of the many changes to help the battery life when ICS launched. If yours isn't changing based on the lights that are actually on around you I'd try disabling automatic brightness and maxing it out. If it doesn't work after that, a phone reset and possibly contacting the Verizon warranty department might be in order.

OP
G

garybracket

Reaction score
K. I tried auto brightness, turned off and on, nothing. Tried brightness all the way to the right, off and on, nothing. I''m in my pitch black bwdroom under the blankets! It turns on for apps that use it..that's it. I hate that this new update caused me proble s on an other-wise flawless device.

OP
G

garybracket

Reaction score
K. I tried auto brightness, turned off and on, nothing. Tried brightness all the way to the right, off and on, nothing. I''m in my pitch black bwdroom under the blankets! It turns on for apps that use it..that's it. I hate that this new update caused me proble s on an other-wise flawless device.

OP
G

garybracket

Reaction score
Got my email working. If I could just get my keyboard light working..i'd say ICS is best thing everrr.