Droid 4 from Motorola Officially Announced on Verizon

NoBloatware

Reaction score
There needs to be a program to allow for quicker updates on devices if this is the case of having 52 droids. I dont want them to slow progress, I want the 250 dollar device to be functional and working. And if its not doing what it says it does, I have the ability to exchange it longer then 15 days. If there is a lemon, there needs to be a way to get a newer phone for a reasonable amount of money.

A larger fear is upgrades to the OS that leave behind a phone less then a year old. Not saying that is the case here, but this is still a big concern for me.

OK, I see what you're saying. Your points about putting out devices that function properly and about abandoning phones without upgrades are definitely valid in my book so I now understand why 52 devices a year would not be a good move.

As far as the lemon, I've had my share of D3 hardware issues but it was ironed out rather quickly through Verizon's warranty program. As long as your phone hasn't gotten wet and is in good shape, they'll send you a like new replacement. I recommend it because I am now happy with my D3.

Last edited:

thinkmega

Reaction score
It's terrible! Can you return it or ask for warranty service?

How long these problems started surfacing after owning the phone?

Where to begin:

Camera has blue tint to every picture on stock camera
Takes over 10 seconds to focus and take a picture

Camcorder has a rack focusing issue where it never stays in focus
aperture issues where the camera stops to closed creating a black frame, then re racks focus

Rebooting constantly, even after the fix of google sync, which worked for a good time, they are back

front facing camera is no longer working, wiped to factory and still wont work

Impossible to reboot phone without DROID, and the SD card initialize noise

Keypad is far worse at staying closed then the D1 or D2 ever was.

Im stuck with this NON HD camera, which is why I choose the D3. Until 2013!!! Then I hear about this Droid 4, less then a year later?!?! The HD camcorder is why I bought the D3, and I cant use ANY of those features effectively. I have no recourse of action. But get yet ANOTHER refurb'd phone with the same issues.

I know tech moves fast but this is unreal. The d3 never should have been made and Im a fool for buying it.

apotheosis415

Reaction score
It's terrible! Can you return it or ask for warranty service?

How long these problems started surfacing after owning the phone?

Yeah but it is the same with every phone I have gotten back from them. I'm going to keep trying to send it back....again.
The camcorder I noticed the day I got the phone. Same with the blue tint on the camera. Luckily camera 360 is much faster then the stock app. SO glad they finally got that app back on the android app market.

debdroid1a

Reaction score
Now, my only real question about the D4 is does it have symbols on the keyboard? In the leaked picks of the mockup phone there were hardly any symbols. That's a pretty big reason to reject the D4, at least for me.

In the pics it looks like there's a button SYM in the lower left hand corner. It probably brings up a symbol box on the screen.

I'm not sure if I'm all that excited about it now as the Droid 4 is just the Razr with a keyboard and the Razr has been out since 11/11/11.
My D1 is okay. Still running stock. Had to factory reset, but it's fine now. So I may keep it until May when my NE2 is up and see what my other options are. Unless it dies on me.

thinkmega

Reaction score
I just got mine two weeks ago and LOVE it. Yes, the camera appears to be slow in action. Camcorder sometimes has difficulties to stay focused. However, it is a GREAT phone compared to D1.

I am not too bothered by D4's 4G capability due to its unremovable battery and battery demanding nature in 4G environment. The 1.2G cpu over 1G is just marginal IMO. The advantage of having 1G RAM over 512RAM is really subject to the user's requirement. Some may benefit more. To me at this point 1G appears to be indifferent.

I think by the time I reach my next upgrade (20 months from now), everything we see today would be so outdated. Therefore, relax and enjoy D3!

Yeah but it is the same with every phone I have gotten back from them. I'm going to keep trying to send it back....again.
The camcorder I noticed the day I got the phone. Same with the blue tint on the camera. Luckily camera 360 is much faster then the stock app. SO glad they finally got that app back on the android app market.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I will probably dump my bionic for this, even though it's .3 inches smaller on the screen the physical keyboard is WAY nice..... though that purple razr sounds pretty awesome, yes purple... I know I'd of bought the htc rhyme if it had been more powerful.

jedihep

Reaction score
My question is if it is essentially a Razor with a slightly smaller screen and a slide out kdeyboard then why Moto did we have to wait for it's release!!? Why if we had to wait for it doesn't it have 32Gb and the 3,300mAh battery that the Maxx does!!!? Moto you bunch of marketing prostitutes stop back seating the Droid just to invigorate the Razor name! As I said before you are a bunch of idiots. Give us the best most advanced processor, a slide out keyboard, and a removable battery or at least the biggest one available, and release it so that it is the most advanced in the line and you will sell them hand over fist like you did the OG Droid! Simply put Moto! STOP backseating the Droid to push and build a market for the Razor!!! If I wanted thin crap I'd buy it for that reason alone! STOP sabotageing the Droid and treating it's loyal users/consumers as a third class second rate afterthought! Let's face facts Verizon, you are on top not because of the Razor, not for your faulty 4G network, but because of the impact of the OG Droid and it's loyal support! What other phone receives the attention and continued support like the OG! Verizon, you have the pull and the clout to demand that Moto changes it's ways and builds and provides this phone for your customers! Wake up and stop the denial of a formula that is and would continue to be a total success! Make a modern OG flagship phone!

Last edited:

Jonas

Reaction score
Alright, well I have a few actually rational questions other than "is this gonna suck"? For all you D3 guys out there trashing on the Droid 4, I'm sorry, but I have the D2G, upgraded through insurance from the OG, and other than having a locked bootloader, I have not had a problem with the phone itself. I have had specific problems with specific phones, but over all, I love this phone. Which is why I'm leaning towards this phone.

Does anyone know if this phone will follow suit with the locked bootloader, or if we will finally get a droid with an unlocked bootloader? That will be a deal killer, because I am exceedingly tired of having halfway ROMs for the D2G. If this is locked, I think I might call it a day with Moto, and take my business over to Samsung, or HTC, they seem to have their collective ingredients in a group.

soops

Reaction score
Finally a nice 4" screen, with KB & lte. This is almost worthy to retire my D1. Unlocked bootloader is the only thing separating D4 from a true D1 successor worthy of the name.

Sent from my DROID using Tapatalk

hradek422

Reaction score
Not sure if everyone knows this, but the D4 is out on the Droid Does website now.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The 3 had duel core.. I would assume this does? Haven't looked at the specs though so maybe not since it got 4g. Key sure it does though.

This phone would have been mine if they didn't keep the same screen as my droid 3. And possible ICS. When I get a new phone I want a legit upgrade. But it is a great phone if going from the Droid.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Last edited:

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So less than 8 months later, they have another droid coming out. Im over the moto spawning of droid devices. It appears that every new version with some minor tweaks gets the green light. Meanwhile my droid 3, riddled with issues, weaps. I can only hope that after a few more send backs, they upgrade me to the D4. Or something that works.

Really? My phone was literally pretty much perfect. Rooted and everything of course.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

braveone772

Reaction score
I just realized this phone doesn't even have a dual core processor..Am I wrong in thinking this is an issue?

Uhhh...

DROID 4 is deceivingly slim at half an inch thin – packing not only a dual-core 1.2 GHz processor and 1 GB of RAM, but also a five-row QWERTY keyboard with a PC-like layout and edge-lit keys for fast, precise typing, even in the dark. It’s Business Ready with government-grade encryption to keep data secure. It features software tools such as MotoCast™ for remote access to music, pictures and videos on home or work computers, Smart Actions application to automate everyday tasks and the revolutionary webtop application for a multi-window environment with full Firefox® browser on a larger screen to boost productivity while on the road. An 8-megapixel camera with 1080p HD video capture and Mirror Mode to display images and video on an HDTV, give DROID 4 users even more flexibility while at work or for play. DROID 4 delivers expected speeds of 5 to 12 megabits per second (Mbps) and upload speeds of 2 to 5 Mbps within 4G LTE Mobile Broadband coverage areas for blazing fast Web browsing, video streaming and online collaboration.

There ya go.

sonicxtacy02

Reaction score
Got to play with this device for about 40 minutes at CES. It's a BEAST. Very thin for a slider (thinner than my bionic with extended battery), and everything was lightening fast. The keyboard is by far the best of the Droid series and may be the best i've encountered at all. Just enough raise and firm response. I'll be getting this for my wife.