1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Droid 4 from Motorola Officially Announced on Verizon

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Jan 9, 2012.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

Verizon decided to let the cat officially out of the bag on the Motorola Droid 4. They just issued their press release officially launching the phone. The specs line up with what we already knew. It is pretty much a slightly smaller (4-inch screen) version of the Droid RAZR but with a slide-out QWERTY keyboard. We should see it available within the next few "coming weeks", according to their presser. Here it is below:
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  2. shanimal92

shanimal92 New Member

looks cool
  3. Breakerbaker

Breakerbaker New Member

Nice I have been waiting for this phone for months.

Sent from my rooted DROID X2
  4. wolfman4u

wolfman4u New Member

Is the keyboard a slider?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
  5. shanimal92

shanimal92 New Member

yes it is
  6. garrett

garrett Beta Team Theme Developer Developer

yes...
  7. silverfang77

silverfang77 Member

Unless something major happens between now and July, that's my next phone!

Tappin' and talkin' with Tapatalk
  8. apotheosis415

apotheosis415 New Member

Wow

So less than 8 months later, they have another droid coming out. Im over the moto spawning of droid devices. It appears that every new version with some minor tweaks gets the green light. Meanwhile my droid 3, riddled with issues, weaps. I can only hope that after a few more send backs, they upgrade me to the D4. Or something that works.
  9. thinkmega

thinkmega New Member

What happens to your D3? Can you share your experiences?

10. apotheosis415

apotheosis415 New Member

Where to begin:

Camera has blue tint to every picture on stock camera
    Takes over 10 seconds to focus and take a picture

Camcorder has a rack focusing issue where it never stays in focus
    aperture issues where the camera stops to closed creating a black frame, then re racks focus

Rebooting constantly, even after the fix of google sync, which worked for a good time, they are back

front facing camera is no longer working, wiped to factory and still wont work

Impossible to reboot phone without DROID, and the SD card initialize noise

Keypad is far worse at staying closed then the D1 or D2 ever was.

Im stuck with this NON HD camera, which is why I choose the D3. Until 2013!!! Then I hear about this Droid 4, less then a year later?!?! The HD camcorder is why I bought the D3, and I cant use ANY of those features effectively. I have no recourse of action. But get yet ANOTHER refurb'd phone with the same issues.

I know tech moves fast but this is unreal. The d3 never should have been made and Im a fool for buying it.
  11. BJPalmer85

BJPalmer85 New Member

ditto...i had one problem out of my D3. enough to get a replacement. after that i have had no problems.

now my D2G and my wifes X and X2 are completely different stories

B
  12. BJPalmer85

BJPalmer85 New Member

back on topic...not that big of a fan of it. ill just wait for the D5 which is bound to be out in sept/oct at the rate they are going...:p

B
  13. NoBloatware

NoBloatware New Member

I love my D3 although I'm on my 4th one. (1st a dead pixel, then WIFI burned out/cameras stopped working/keyboard was insensitive on 2nd, then touchscreen didn't work on 3rd replacement right out of the box. A bit of a slog, but I finally got one without hardware issues. Stable and great.)

Back on topic, Motorola could put out an updated version every week and I wouldn't care. (Droid 52 rocks...) The smart phone industry has been moving so quickly lately and I don't see any valid criticisms for this type of rapid progress. You want Motorola to slow down/stagnate so you feel better about your purchase? Come on.

As for 4G, I'm not all that interested. I like having plenty of battery power and 4G is currently the enemy of battery power. Sure, once in a while it would be handy to turn on 4G but for me, for all practical purposes, 3G and/or WIFI are adequate.

Now, my only real question about the D4 is does it have symbols on the keyboard? In the leaked picks of the mockup phone there were hardly any symbols. That's a pretty big reason to reject the D4, at least for me.
  14. braveone772

braveone772 New Member

Not surprised...To be honest, I thought they should have waited and retooled the D3 for LTE access. That's essentially what they did here....in a new pretty packaging to look like the RAZR.
  15. apotheosis415

apotheosis415 New Member

There needs to be a program to allow for quicker updates on devices if this is the case of having 52 droids. I dont want them to slow progress, I want the 250 dollar device to be functional and working. And if its not doing what it says it does, I have the ability to exchange it longer then 15 days. If there is a lemon, there needs to be a way to get a newer phone for a reasonable amount of money.

A larger fear is upgrades to the OS that leave behind a phone less then a year old. Not saying that is the case here, but this is still a big concern for me.
  16. NoBloatware

NoBloatware New Member

OK, I see what you're saying. Your points about putting out devices that function properly and about abandoning phones without upgrades are definitely valid in my book so I now understand why 52 devices a year would not be a good move.

As far as the lemon, I've had my share of D3 hardware issues but it was ironed out rather quickly through Verizon's warranty program. As long as your phone hasn't gotten wet and is in good shape, they'll send you a like new replacement. I recommend it because I am now happy with my D3.
  17. thinkmega

thinkmega New Member

It's terrible! Can you return it or ask for warranty service?

How long these problems started surfacing after owning the phone?

18. apotheosis415

apotheosis415 New Member

Yeah but it is the same with every phone I have gotten back from them. I'm going to keep trying to send it back....again.
    The camcorder I noticed the day I got the phone. Same with the blue tint on the camera. Luckily camera 360 is much faster then the stock app. SO glad they finally got that app back on the android app market.
  19. debdroid1a

debdroid1a New Member

In the pics it looks like there's a button SYM in the lower left hand corner. It probably brings up a symbol box on the screen.

I'm not sure if I'm all that excited about it now as the Droid 4 is just the Razr with a keyboard and the Razr has been out since 11/11/11.
    My D1 is okay. Still running stock. Had to factory reset, but it's fine now. So I may keep it until May when my NE2 is up and see what my other options are. Unless it dies on me.
  20. thinkmega

thinkmega New Member

I just got mine two weeks ago and LOVE it. Yes, the camera appears to be slow in action. Camcorder sometimes has difficulties to stay focused. However, it is a GREAT phone compared to D1.

I am not too bothered by D4's 4G capability due to its unremovable battery and battery demanding nature in 4G environment. The 1.2G cpu over 1G is just marginal IMO. The advantage of having 1G RAM over 512RAM is really subject to the user's requirement. Some may benefit more. To me at this point 1G appears to be indifferent.

I think by the time I reach my next upgrade (20 months from now), everything we see today would be so outdated. Therefore, relax and enjoy D3!