Droid 4 Early Update Petition

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Hah, good luck that making any difference at all... Welcome to the world of electronics and computers. You buy one, it becomes 'trash' in no time. Its a fast paced money making bussiness... Welcome to it!

kptphalkon

Reaction score
You bought what you wanted. Stop griping about what you could have had if you waited. the only difference is LTE and a larger screen anyways.

doogald

Reaction score
Verizon's LTE network is having the second major outage in three months - and when this happens, LTE phones cannot get even 3G data. Are you guys absolutely sure that you want to give up your stable 3G phone right now?

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
You're wasting your time. If they did nothing for Bionic users they're not going to do anything for D3 users. It's technology, it gets outdated. Get over it.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

illmatic636

Reaction score
You bought what you wanted. Stop griping about what you could have had if you waited. the only difference is LTE and a larger screen anyways.

Also more ram I believe.

I agree tho. Lately Android phones are kinda "Playing themselves out" It's ridiculous that they found a sector that can generate so much money on putting out an updated product one after another after another. I got so fed up that I bought an iPhone 4s.
Figured, it cost Apple $188 in hardware to make, I'll buy it for $199.00 By the time my upgrade is do again, who knows what will be out. Android wise, or iPhone 5s.

What ever. Don't try cheating the system cause you can't. You will not upgrade early unless you pay BIG bucks for the phone.

Namiste

Last edited:

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I worked at a computer shop for 10 years. I saw the same thing happen with Video Cards / Processors. Customer would purchase a top of the line gaming rig one week, and 2 weeks later there would be something better out. It all goes back to what phone makes you happy and does job.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Hey change.org has made a difference in a lot of different areas. So doesn't hurt to try. But when I called the local vzw store thismorning, the guy said he never even heard of the droid 4. I was like, well, you're supposed to be releasing it tomorrow.. he said, 'News to me'.

OP
T

TopGun960

Reaction score
I honestly do understand what all of you are saying. Planned obsolescence is just a part of electronics. But I think that 5 or 6 months is just ridiculous. And it cant hurt to try...

apl3

Reaction score
I really doubt they will do an early upgrade that opens a big can of worms. Thing is I love my D3 also for me I could care less about the D4 since it is not a global phone, plus i cant put on a bigger battery. If people think that the phones are being upgraded to fast go back to apple they are still running single core processors. Get an iphone you dont have to worry you will be behind the curve for two years Android gives you alot more upgrades.

Last edited:

Shimmy549

Reaction score
I guess I'm one of those complacent people. I wouldn't upgrade now, even if Verizon gave me a free one. Android phone manufacturers and cell providers are helping each other vacuum out consumers' pockets. In principle, that sucks. In reality, all they're doing is trying to separate consumers from their money by enticing them with the new "it" phone. I couldn't care less because I don't want the "it" phone. Honestly, I'm still just relieved that this one works.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

ConqSoft

Reaction score
I honestly do understand what all of you are saying. Planned obsolescence is just a part of electronics. But I think that 5 or 6 months is just ridiculous. And it cant hurt to try...

If 5 or 6 months is ridiculous, what about the 6 WEEKS between the the Bionic and the RAZR? And they did nothing for Bionic owners.

Snow02

Reaction score
No one held a gun to your head and made you buy anything. You made a decision, live with it.

And if you're ok with not having just-released handsets you can trade up about every six months to something better for less than $100 usually by selling your old phone and buying one used. That way you get to scratch that upgrade itch and not wreck your wallet.

For example, if you bought a thunderbolt around release you can definitely get $250 out of it and grab something like a bionic for < $350. Many times you'll be able to upgrade for almost nothing if you can get a deal.

Fr33dom

Reaction score
If 5 or 6 months is ridiculous, what about the 6 WEEKS between the the Bionic and the RAZR? And they did nothing for Bionic owners.

That is an Apples and Oranges comparison. There is very little difference between the Bionic and the Razor. Those folks that are upset about those two phones are just wanting the latest and greatest and are caught-up in the reality that every phone is obsolete shortly after it comes out. The Droid on the other hand is at version 3 and a new version was announced within 6 months of its birthing. The Bionic and Razor are comparable phones, but neither compare to the Droid 3 since the D3 has a keyboard and most of its users bought it for that reason. Both the Bionic and Razor are guaranteed to get ICS, while the D3 might, we have no guarantee. So the comparison doesn't quite fit.

And please folks, quit telling us to get use to an update schedule that has NEVER existed before. If you're talking to people upset that the Razor came out shortly after the Bionic then you have a point. But you don't with the D3 and your condescending tone is not helpful.

At the time the D3 came out there were plenty of stories claiming problems with LTE on phones with a hardware keyboard. There was also lots of hand-wringing over the D3 not having LTE. It is correct that people who bought the D3 did so at some risk and could have waited. It is not true that the 'bought the phone they wanted.' They (I) bought the best keyboard phone they thought they'd get.

A more salient point would be that the phone hasn't been released yet and to my knowledge doesn't have a release date yet. So the 6 Months bit is really not all that persuasive. Had they released the phone in that time period, I'd jump on that band-wagon. As it looks now, it will be released at about the year point which is actually at about the schedule we've seen such updates in the past. For me its also at the point where I thought I might be looking for a new phone with LTE.

If your only point in responding to this post is to condescend, then why bother.