Droid 4 and the future of QWERTY

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 4' started by InfiniteClouds, Jan 11, 2012.

1. kenoshabrew

kenoshabrew New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The Droid 3 was out of stock for a while there because they recalled a ton of them. They had so many problems at first release they issued a quiet recall to VZ stores. My friend went through 5 in a couple month due to hardware failures (no drops or abuse). His fifth one was post recall. They didn't tell the general public because if you weren't having problems, why replace it? But the failure rate was astronomical on the first batch of D3's.

2. kenoshabrew

kenoshabrew New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    They delayed it because (imo) they didn't want to release the RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, and D4 at the same time. 3 top tier phones is a lot. I agree though, the removable battery is AGONIZING me. I'm going to get the D4 as soon as it comes out. Right now I am spoiled with 4 batteries on my D2Global. I honestly think in about 2 months they will release a Droid 4 MAXX with larger battery and slightly bigger dimensions. I was going to wait for that, but if you keep waiting for the next best thing you'll never get anything. I have a friend at Motorola who gets to tests prototypes. I'm going to try to find out if they have a D4 Maxx in the works and how long it will take to come out. My real worry is I'm grandfathered in with unlimited data and that keeps even when going to 4G. That isn't going to last forever. Sooner or later, VZ is going to cancel unlimited data for everyone. This way at least I'll be locked in another 2 years of unlimited data on 4G. My solution to the battery problem is going to be a portable rechargeable battery (Moto makes one that has great reviews). Yes it's more of a hassle than just swapping in a new battery, but it's battery then the thing dying when you want it to work. I'm spoiled with my 4 batteries, I use power like it's going out of style so it's going to be very hard for me to limit myself with this new phone. Here's a link for that battery I'm talking about. It's a link to Verizon Wireless's page. After you enter your zip it should come up.

Set Your Location

3. kenoshabrew

kenoshabrew New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry about the double reply but I did more research. Motorola is selling a P793 portable battery booster/charger/thingy (whateverthehell you want to call it) on their website. Verizon is selling the P893. From the looks of it, the P893 has about 30% more power available in it. I just wanted to warn people about this as I could NOT find the P893 on Motorola's website, only Verizon's.

4. kenoshabrew

kenoshabrew New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Set Your Location

5. notoriousplaya9

notoriousplaya9 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    And the Maxx only mentions "talk" time,not data or streaming movies time.

Sent from my Droid 1 using DroidForums[/QUOTE]

That's the dumbest thing ive ever heard first of all; second, I think the DROID 4 is a good choice and with the keyboard it makes it better. Physical keyboards are faster than virtual but being good at virtual u can be faster than phulysical. Also some ppl like variety with their phones

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

6. kenoshabrew

kenoshabrew New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That's the dumbest thing ive ever heard first of all; second, I think the DROID 4 is a good choice and with the keyboard it makes it better. Physical keyboards are faster than virtual but being good at virtual u can be faster than phulysical. Also some ppl like variety with their phones

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums[/QUOTE]

Uhh yeah.. The Droid RAZR has a 1780mAh battery while the RAZR MAXX has a 3300mAh battery. That's 85% larger. And if you don't think that translates to more than just extended talk time, someone needs to learn more about batteries... It also DOES list on the Droiddoes website that the RAZR MAXX has 7hrs web browsing and 15 hours movie watching (it does not mention if this is 3g,4g or wifi). I'm sure real world figures will vary..but it's not like an 85% larger battery is ONLY going to give you extended talk time. For comparison, the D4 has a 1785mAH battery. Personally I wouldn't mind a fatter profile for a 3300mAh battery stuffed in a D4 to get those extended usage times. It makes me wonder about the screens on the two devices though... with the RAZR you have basically an advanced OLED that doesn't take much power. On the D4 it's an LCD that's going to suck more power (but be able to be seen better in daylight). There's always trade offs I guess, but I'm still going for the D4 :)

7. TC_Mits

TC_Mits Member

Ratings:
    +0
    First, well-reasoned case for the Maxx.

Second, which D4 will you go for?
    The underpowered D4 to release early next month with no global or ICS?
    Or, the D4 MAXX with the 3.3 amp battery you like.
    Or, the D4G version to come when some overseas "network issues" are resolved?
    Or, the D4G MAXX?
    Or, will you wait for the ICS announcement, so you won't have to worry, like Bionic folks now, whether that's really gonna happen or not?

Please help me. I, too, really need a KB, but all this has me confused and you seem to know what you're doing.

Perspective instantiates reality.
    ( By DX w/DF app. )

#31 TC_Mits, Jan 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  8. kenoshabrew

kenoshabrew New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Going for the announced one coming out hopefully soon. My reasoning as I stated in another forum is I'm worried they will take current customers grandfathered unlimited data away. I almost bought the Stratosphere for the same reason but I really didn't want the single core processor for 2 years. I'll buy an external battery pack for trips if power is a problem (and I'm sure it will be for me). I just don't want to loose unlimited data by waiting any longer. I've been up for an upgrade for a while now. Time to cash in my chips.

I also believe the current announced D4 will have global capability. I just think it will, but I have no proof to back that up.

As far as ICS, that would be nice but I also learned a lesson with owning a D1, D2, D2G, and my friend getting D3. Buy what makes you happy now. I'm pretty happy with GB. So if I get ICS in the future, sure that would be cool as hell. But I'll never again buy a phone on what it MIGHT get in the future. It should get it. But my main draw is the better screen, faster processor (there are some good adult sites that use flash that should be a little quicker to load! ;) and the 4G is MAJOR for me since I tether a LOT. With unlimited data it'll be like having broadband wherever I go (as long as a 4G tower is nearby). I just do NOT want to loose my unlimited data. I'll put up with external battery rechargers like the Motorola P893 if I have to. If I already didn't have unlimited data, I would probably wait two months to see if rumors of a D4 Maxx comes out.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

9. debdroid1a

debdroid1a Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Not sure if theyn will release other D4 phones. Just s D3 buyers were upset and cried at a Dec release for a D4, that was small in comparison to the Razr buyers when the Maxx was announced.

Besides Moto said they were going to slow releases .

Sent from my Droid 1 using DroidForums

#33 debdroid1a, Jan 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
Search tags for this page

future of

the future of qwerty phones

upcoming androad querty phone