Droid 4 and the future of QWERTY

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 4' started by InfiniteClouds, Jan 11, 2012.

1. InfiniteClouds

InfiniteClouds New Member

I'm still on my OG Droid I was contemplating upgrading when the Droid 4 comes out. It's beginning to look a lot less attractive, however. If people don't like what they see here and pass it up will manufacturers take this as a 'referendum' on QWERTY phones rather than recognizing the failures of the device itself?

What are the chances of seeing a QWERTY 4G LTE Android Device with a 720p screen and a removable battery sometime in 2012? Or is this likely to be the last of the QWERTYs
  2. wildride89

wildride89 New Member

I'm sure with technology and a wide spectrum of phone users phone manufacturers will continue to make atleast 1 phone with a physical keyboard imo. Someone was saying in here with the size of the screens and the ways that you can alter virtual keyboard sizes that maybe physical keyboards are becoming old technology. I like having the option of having both with my d3.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums
  3. kptphalkon

kptphalkon New Member

Physical keyboards have certainly been on the path to outdated technology as touch interfaces have gained mass appeal. You can pack more hardware into the same package without a keyboard, or the same amount in a smaller size. It's evident that keyboards are not as relevant as they used to be, but I also do not believe they will be fully replaced any time soon.
  4. debdroid1a

debdroid1a New Member

I posted this somewhere else, but they're now making bluetooth slider keyboards you can attach to the bottom iPhones. So if you want a keyboard you buy it separately. That may be the wave of the future. Especially if the D4 doesn't do very well. It was an extra $70 (but that was probably becuase it's an Apple product or would be used with an Apple product and they can get away with selling it extremely expensive). I saw it on HSN (a TV shopping channel--oh, I don't have cable so I was bored with what was on tv and flipping what channels I do have).
  5. fastpat

fastpat New Member

That's a valid concern. One wonders where Motorola is going with this kind of machine, two steps forward and one step backward (with the non-removable battery). Are they intentionally trying to anger people? One wonders.
  6. NoBloatware

NoBloatware New Member

This way they can release the Droid 4 MAXX and get all the money that would go to 3rd party extended battery vendors.

Personally, I love my D3. LTE would come in handy once in a while for sure but it burns battery power so I'd definitely be keeping it off most of the time. Besides I'm usually around WIFI. D5 for me. I'm on the odd numbers. 1...3...5
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  7. debdroid1a

debdroid1a New Member

Not necessarily. With extended use on any smart phone the battery needs to be recharged so poeple will buy 3rd party rechargers. I know, mines not made by Motorola so threy didn't earn any money from me for that purchase.

And the Maxx only mentions "talk" time,not data or streaming movies time.

Sent from my Droid 1 using DroidForums
  8. TC_Mits

TC_Mits New Member

That, perish the thought, may be precisely vzw's intent with this allegedly "botched" release.

QWERTYs won't go away; business needs them. They may never again be top-of-the-line. Only time will tell.

What scares me is a future with no removable batteries. That is very possible.

Perspective instantiates reality.
    ( By DX w/DF app. )
  9. debdroid1a

debdroid1a New Member

Wouldn't businesses just use lapdocks. Instead of traveling with a laptop, a lapdock, a phone and the cloud. Long emails will have to wait. Or tablets (and phones).

Unfortunately a lot of my managers have chosen iPhones. The top managers have also received iPads. Those that chose to respond to emails with their phone, write short emails. I don't think any of them with any phone have a keyboard.

10. NoBloatware

NoBloatware New Member

Managers don't do any actual work though. People that write, edit documents, code, stuff like that prefer a physical keyboard. Right now, virtual keyboards are not good for that kind of work.
  11. spunker88

spunker88 New Member

I think Motorola is still trying to target business users if you look at the Droid Pro and the bloatware they put on the Droid phones is business related (Citrix, GotoMeeting, etc). The big business phone brand is Blackberry and they've been known for their keyboards. The Droid 3 sold well, or better than Verizon anticipated as it was out of stock quite a bit in late July to early August of 2011. I imagine the QWERTY slider will be around for a while.
  12. TC_Mits

TC_Mits New Member

The business side of Android is going to lag until malware issues are confronted and dealt with effectively. How safe can military grade file encryption make you feel if you know that nobody checks market apps for Trojans, spyware, or keyloggers, and even your own 'carrier' has the IQ to put one on your phone. If vzw didn't use carrier IQ, it was because they have another one they think is better.

Edit:
    http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Virus-Malware-Android-Apps-Malicious,news-13225.html

Android malware is spiking. There's new trojan now that piggybacks on Carrier IQ. Similar security issues crippled Windows for a time. Google take heed.

Perspective instantiates reality.
    ( By DX w/DF app. )
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  13. JRParsons

JRParsons Member

I was able to swap a Tbolt straight up for a Stratosphere, I can notice the diminished performance, but didn't realize how much I missed my slider.
    I would have jumped all over the Droid 4, a topline device with a slider, but they had to put that stupid non-removable battery in it. I travel a lot in a day with GPS running on a motorcycle, no access to a charger. I always just took a couple of spare batteries with me.
    Hey HTC, any chance we could get a device with Rezound specs and screen size, and a slider. Personally I'd pay 399.
    What also scares me about the Droid 4 is the delay. Something isn't working or it would have been released, I know Moto doesn't make any money back on the millions its got invested in the device until its released, so they have nothing to gain by sitting on it. Further, the technology in the device is getting older by the day. The last 2 devices that were delayed for an extended period of time were the Thunderbolt and the Bionic, we all know how those devices turned out. The thunderbolt wasn't "fixed" for about 6 months, and they're still working on the Bionic.
    Sorry for the long post, but I have a keyboard again.
  14. debdroid1a

debdroid1a New Member

I think they delayed it for 2 reasons.
    1. Droid 3 owers cried that a Dec release was too soon.
    2. The 4G covereage isn't that great and there's been too much trouble so they wanted to wait until it stabalized a bit.

Now that I've been thinking about not using a keyboard, I realized I really like my keyboard. Especially since I don't have internet at home. Like some else said (sorry can't remeber who) this is my handheld computer.

I don't think the delay will hurt keyboard sales.

Lots of people still like them.
    Anyone coming off blackberry.
    Anyone coming off a phone without a keyboard or touch screen and texts a lot will see this as a plus (I did with my eNV 2 as it had a keyboard, and even a frien d choose another phone with a keyboard).
    Touch typists who. Want a 4G phone.
    Etc.

15. JRParsons

JRParsons Member

I'm not sure Moto cares what Droid 3 owners think, they released the Razor on the heels of the Bionic and the Razor Max on the Heels of the Razor. Unless the Droid 3 owners are going to pay full retail, they are not Moto's target customer. Once they have your money they are a lot less interested in what you want. (I am not a Moto basher, this applies to Samsung, HTC, LG, etc.)

And I know many are blaming the network for the data issues, but my old Thunderbolt and my spare (Thunderbolt) would never drop data, it was always connected, 1x/3g/4g/wifi, never a problem with any of them. (except when there were national outages) of course they are Thunderbolts, so they had many other issues, the final one for me was the spotty Btooth connectivity. I would drive around and my Truck (Ford Sync) would keep telling me "phone connected, phone disconnected" usually about 3-4 times an hour. Sometimes in the middle of a phone call, which had me searching through my pockets to find the phone so I could continue to talk to the person on the other end. This was embarassing when on the phone with a client. (I also had the reboots and GPS issues that everyone had, for some reason my phone would think I was in Waco Texas - I live in Massachusetts) My Stratospher also connects flawlessly, and seems to be "bugless" so far. (just much less of a phone than I am used to)

I'm less technically knowledgeable than most people on this forum, but I think Moto is having trouble with the "hand off" between 1x/3g/4g/wifi, I know from experience that the Bionic suffers from that, not sure about the Razor. Since the Candy Bar phones are aimed at "entertainment" users, and the sliders more for business, I think no data for a Netflix movie is not nearly as devestating as not getting an email from a 1/2 million dollar client. (not saying I have a 1/2 million dollar client, wish I did) If the communication, which is the heart of any mobile device, is spotty, businesses will be less likely to supply them to their employees. Moto needs the D4 to be rock solid, business users aren't going to put up with a phone that works most of the time.

Just my 2 cents.
  16. debdroid1a

debdroid1a New Member

No Moto doesn't care too much, but trust me there was a BIG out cry. On this board. On websites that allowed comments. On their facebook page. On Twitter. They may not respond that they heard because it would mean they would have to reply to everyone who complains, but they heard the crying.

Yes it's Moto that's have the 4g droppage as well as others. Nexus owners had same problem. Unless you weren't in an area that wasn't effected, I'm not sure why your thunderbolt didn't drop 4G. Maybe HTC does have better reception. But does HTC make a 4G keyboard slider for Verizon? If so, please do tell. That's what we're looking at here in the Droid 4 section (um, yes that's why this is posted in the Droid 4 section).

Back to the topic at hand. Unless other makers (like HTC) come out with physical keyboards on phones, I see Moto have the monopoly on this and it not going away any time soon. They may not make as much as other phones they sell, but they won't stop unless someone else comes out with better specs for a physical keyboard phone.
    Unless of course, like I mentioned in another post, they make bluetooth keyboards you can attach to a phone (like a slider keyboard) that is available for the iPhone. But users like more options then that--well Android users.
  17. JRParsons

JRParsons Member

I do have a good friend who waited patiently for the Bionic, then was truly P.O.ed when they released the Razor. I think I convinced him they were different phones for different people and the Razor was not better, just different. Since then he has been very happy with his Bionic, no issues, no data drops etc.

Personally, other than 10 months with a Thunderbolt, I have always had a slider, dating back to the XV6800 which ran WM 5.xx and cost about $500 on contract (had a stylus and scroll wheel). Traded that for the Touch Pro II (just a stylus) (really good phone for its time by the way).

I really wish I didn't have to sacrifice so much in the way of specs to have a slider. I was really looking forward to the D4, but don't think I can live with the non-removable battery. I'm sure most people never take their battery out, but I replace mine at least once a day when I'm travelling. (No access to a charger)

There were rumers of an HTC Slider on Verizon ADR6410, (Fireball), havn't seen/heard anything lateley. The ADR6410 falls in between the Thunderbolt and the Rezound. (6400 and 6425) I was hoping for a slider with at least the specs of the Thunderbolt. In the meantime I'm rockin the Strat. LOL (that would be funnier if you knew I was a 40+ year old married, quasi professional, who lost any hope of being "cool" about a decade ago)
  18. jkaod

jkaod Active Member

It always amazes me when people get angry that a new phone is released in their opinion, "too soon" after they bought their new phone. Their phone is still the same, it's just that they don't have claim to "the newest phone" Sorry, but that's just plain stupid. There will always be new phones coming out which will be better in some ways than what we currently have...learn to deal with it. Life is way too short to have phone envy and be angry because a new phone came out too soon. The D4 will be an awesome phone in some ways, but not for everyone. It doesn't make the D3 any worse. Rant completed, off soap box now.
  19. hellmonkey

hellmonkey New Member

For me atleast, I would be pissed if I bought a phone, then saw a better one of the same type released just afterwards. I was about to get my wife a droid3, but then went out on the net and saw that the D4 is about to drop. Most people dont do that kind of research. I think its less about phone envy and more about buyers remourse and OOOOOO i shoulda waited one more month.
  20. debdroid1a

debdroid1a New Member

The only problem is they can't wait several months before releasing a new phone. Even if the D3 had been out a year, someone would have bought it a month before the D4 release and without research never had known it was coming. So they may have buyers remourse anyway. And if it's time to upgrade the Verion rep would probably ster them to "the next big thing" not a year old phone (unless it's the iphone which the price doesn't drop until a new one is out).

And if, say Moto didn't have a keyboard phone out on the market so people wouldn't have buyers remorse, people would buy the Stratosphere if they were looking for an Android keyboard phone at Verizon, so then Moto would have lost money.

So Moto is going to get backlash if they don't wait or wait for a release. And I think earning money is more important to a business then letting buyers get some other phone and lose business. Every sales person does this. They try to keep the customers they have (admitedly Moto hasn't done very well with no updates on phones or late updates) and get new customers.

I think droping the price is the best thing for Moto to do. A free Droid 3, or even a $49 D3, is better then a $200 phone and then a month later the better one comes out. Now if you have buyers remourse because you got a free phone, then that's something you have to deal with. And maybe you were looking when it was $99 at Verizon and $49 on the web.

I bought a 7" tablet in July last year. Three months later a better Android table, Amazon fire came out. Was I mad? No. I wasn't happy about a better tablet coming out, but I was happy with mine. It did what I needed it to. I still have it and haven't even looked at buying another tablet (although I like to see what's out there).

OP
    Sorry, forgot the topic with all these off topic posts... :happy3:

As I said, no matter what goes on, malware, better spec phones, etc., there will still be a need for a physical keyboard. Some people just prefer it. That's why people bought the bluetooth iphone keyboard MSN was selling a few weeks ago. And why they have one. Their customers would buy one no matter the price or specs (it was like $70 us :p).
Search tags for this page

future of

the future of qwerty phones

upcoming androad querty phone