Droid 4 and the future of QWERTY

InfiniteClouds

Reaction score
I'm still on my OG Droid I was contemplating upgrading when the Droid 4 comes out. It's beginning to look a lot less attractive, however. If people don't like what they see here and pass it up will manufacturers take this as a 'referendum' on QWERTY phones rather than recognizing the failures of the device itself?

What are the chances of seeing a QWERTY 4G LTE Android Device with a 720p screen and a removable battery sometime in 2012? Or is this likely to be the last of the QWERTYs

wildride89

Reaction score
I'm sure with technology and a wide spectrum of phone users phone manufacturers will continue to make atleast 1 phone with a physical keyboard imo. Someone was saying in here with the size of the screens and the ways that you can alter virtual keyboard sizes that maybe physical keyboards are becoming old technology. I like having the option of having both with my d3.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Physical keyboards have certainly been on the path to outdated technology as touch interfaces have gained mass appeal. You can pack more hardware into the same package without a keyboard, or the same amount in a smaller size. It's evident that keyboards are not as relevant as they used to be, but I also do not believe they will be fully replaced any time soon.

debdroid1a

Reaction score
I posted this somewhere else, but they're now making bluetooth slider keyboards you can attach to the bottom iPhones. So if you want a keyboard you buy it separately. That may be the wave of the future. Especially if the D4 doesn't do very well. It was an extra $70 (but that was probably becuase it's an Apple product or would be used with an Apple product and they can get away with selling it extremely expensive). I saw it on HSN (a TV shopping channel--oh, I don't have cable so I was bored with what was on tv and flipping what channels I do have).

fastpat

Reaction score
I'm still on my OG Droid I was contemplating upgrading when the Droid 4 comes out. It's beginning to look a lot less attractive, however. If people don't like what they see here and pass it up will manufacturers take this as a 'referendum' on QWERTY phones rather than recognizing the failures of the device itself?

What are the chances of seeing a QWERTY 4G LTE Android Device with a 720p screen and a removable battery sometime in 2012? Or is this likely to be the last of the QWERTYs
That's a valid concern. One wonders where Motorola is going with this kind of machine, two steps forward and one step backward (with the non-removable battery). Are they intentionally trying to anger people? One wonders.

NoBloatware

Reaction score
This way they can release the Droid 4 MAXX and get all the money that would go to 3rd party extended battery vendors.

Personally, I love my D3. LTE would come in handy once in a while for sure but it burns battery power so I'd definitely be keeping it off most of the time. Besides I'm usually around WIFI. D5 for me. I'm on the odd numbers. 1...3...5

Last edited:

debdroid1a

Reaction score
Not necessarily. With extended use on any smart phone the battery needs to be recharged so poeple will buy 3rd party rechargers. I know, mines not made by Motorola so threy didn't earn any money from me for that purchase.

And the Maxx only mentions "talk" time,not data or streaming movies time.

Sent from my Droid 1 using DroidForums

TC_Mits

Reaction score

That, perish the thought, may be precisely vzw's intent with this allegedly "botched" release.

QWERTYs won't go away; business needs them. They may never again be top-of-the-line. Only time will tell.

What scares me is a future with no removable batteries. That is very possible.

Perspective instantiates reality.
( By DX w/DF app. )

debdroid1a

Reaction score
Wouldn't businesses just use lapdocks. Instead of traveling with a laptop, a lapdock, a phone and the cloud. Long emails will have to wait. Or tablets (and phones).

Unfortunately a lot of my managers have chosen iPhones. The top managers have also received iPads. Those that chose to respond to emails with their phone, write short emails. I don't think any of them with any phone have a keyboard.

NoBloatware

Reaction score
Wouldn't businesses just use lapdocks. Instead of traveling with a laptop, a lapdock, a phone and the cloud. Long emails will have to wait. Or tablets (and phones).

Unfortunately a lot of my managers have chosen iPhones. The top managers have also received iPads. Those that chose to respond to emails with their phone, write short emails. I don't think any of them with any phone have a keyboard.

Managers don't do any actual work though. People that write, edit documents, code, stuff like that prefer a physical keyboard. Right now, virtual keyboards are not good for that kind of work.

spunker88

Reaction score
I think Motorola is still trying to target business users if you look at the Droid Pro and the bloatware they put on the Droid phones is business related (Citrix, GotoMeeting, etc). The big business phone brand is Blackberry and they've been known for their keyboards. The Droid 3 sold well, or better than Verizon anticipated as it was out of stock quite a bit in late July to early August of 2011. I imagine the QWERTY slider will be around for a while.

TC_Mits

Reaction score
I think Motorola is still trying to target business users if you look at the Droid Pro and the bloatware they put on the Droid phones is business related (Citrix, GotoMeeting, etc). The big business phone brand is Blackberry and they've been known for their keyboards. The Droid 3 sold well, or better than Verizon anticipated as it was out of stock quite a bit in late July to early August of 2011. I imagine the QWERTY slider will be around for a while.

The business side of Android is going to lag until malware issues are confronted and dealt with effectively. How safe can military grade file encryption make you feel if you know that nobody checks market apps for Trojans, spyware, or keyloggers, and even your own 'carrier' has the IQ to put one on your phone. If vzw didn't use carrier IQ, it was because they have another one they think is better.

Edit:
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Virus-Malware-Android-Apps-Malicious,news-13225.html

Android malware is spiking. There's new trojan now that piggybacks on Carrier IQ. Similar security issues crippled Windows for a time. Google take heed.

Perspective instantiates reality.
( By DX w/DF app. )

Last edited:

JRParsons

Reaction score
I was able to swap a Tbolt straight up for a Stratosphere, I can notice the diminished performance, but didn't realize how much I missed my slider.
I would have jumped all over the Droid 4, a topline device with a slider, but they had to put that stupid non-removable battery in it. I travel a lot in a day with GPS running on a motorcycle, no access to a charger. I always just took a couple of spare batteries with me.
Hey HTC, any chance we could get a device with Rezound specs and screen size, and a slider. Personally I'd pay 399.
What also scares me about the Droid 4 is the delay. Something isn't working or it would have been released, I know Moto doesn't make any money back on the millions its got invested in the device until its released, so they have nothing to gain by sitting on it. Further, the technology in the device is getting older by the day. The last 2 devices that were delayed for an extended period of time were the Thunderbolt and the Bionic, we all know how those devices turned out. The thunderbolt wasn't "fixed" for about 6 months, and they're still working on the Bionic.
Sorry for the long post, but I have a keyboard again.

debdroid1a

Reaction score
I think they delayed it for 2 reasons.
1. Droid 3 owers cried that a Dec release was too soon.
2. The 4G covereage isn't that great and there's been too much trouble so they wanted to wait until it stabalized a bit.

Now that I've been thinking about not using a keyboard, I realized I really like my keyboard. Especially since I don't have internet at home. Like some else said (sorry can't remeber who) this is my handheld computer.

I don't think the delay will hurt keyboard sales.

Lots of people still like them.
Anyone coming off blackberry.
Anyone coming off a phone without a keyboard or touch screen and texts a lot will see this as a plus (I did with my eNV 2 as it had a keyboard, and even a frien d choose another phone with a keyboard).
Touch typists who. Want a 4G phone.
Etc.

JRParsons

Reaction score
I'm not sure Moto cares what Droid 3 owners think, they released the Razor on the heels of the Bionic and the Razor Max on the Heels of the Razor. Unless the Droid 3 owners are going to pay full retail, they are not Moto's target customer. Once they have your money they are a lot less interested in what you want. (I am not a Moto basher, this applies to Samsung, HTC, LG, etc.)

And I know many are blaming the network for the data issues, but my old Thunderbolt and my spare (Thunderbolt) would never drop data, it was always connected, 1x/3g/4g/wifi, never a problem with any of them. (except when there were national outages) of course they are Thunderbolts, so they had many other issues, the final one for me was the spotty Btooth connectivity. I would drive around and my Truck (Ford Sync) would keep telling me "phone connected, phone disconnected" usually about 3-4 times an hour. Sometimes in the middle of a phone call, which had me searching through my pockets to find the phone so I could continue to talk to the person on the other end. This was embarassing when on the phone with a client. (I also had the reboots and GPS issues that everyone had, for some reason my phone would think I was in Waco Texas - I live in Massachusetts) My Stratospher also connects flawlessly, and seems to be "bugless" so far. (just much less of a phone than I am used to)

I'm less technically knowledgeable than most people on this forum, but I think Moto is having trouble with the "hand off" between 1x/3g/4g/wifi, I know from experience that the Bionic suffers from that, not sure about the Razor. Since the Candy Bar phones are aimed at "entertainment" users, and the sliders more for business, I think no data for a Netflix movie is not nearly as devestating as not getting an email from a 1/2 million dollar client. (not saying I have a 1/2 million dollar client, wish I did) If the communication, which is the heart of any mobile device, is spotty, businesses will be less likely to supply them to their employees. Moto needs the D4 to be rock solid, business users aren't going to put up with a phone that works most of the time.

Just my 2 cents.