Droid 4 and car Bluetooth music streaming

battlecanary

Reaction score
Wanted to start a thread on this since I haven't found any info anywhere...

My original setup: Rooted, stock rom Droid 1 running Froyo paired to a 2012 Mazda 3 Skyactive stock stereo
My new setup: Un-rooted, stock rom Droid 4 running 2.3.6 paired to the same

Recently upgraded from a Droid 1 to a Droid 4. I previously used my Droid 1 as a media player linked to my car's Bluetooth connection. After the initial pairing when I first purchased the car the phone would automatically reconnect when I turned on the ignition, as well as resume playback where it had left off. I used the stock Music app (Play Music) before and after the recent updates. On occasion it would lag or skip a bit, but this was due to the phone being old and struggling to run in general. I used the steering wheel controls as well as the console radio controls to operate the phone. Essentially the connection had zero flaws and worked great all the time. Bluetooth calling was also perfect.

Since the upgrade calling works perfectly but music has several issues. To start, the Play Music app does not respond properly with the steering wheel controls. If I advance a track on the wheel the phone switches tracks, but then pauses and requires play to be pressed on the phone to restart playback. If you watch the phone screen while pressing advance, you can see that the track plays for a split second before pausing. Additionally, since the phone supports A2DP my car's display should now show track info, however it generally is stuck on either the track time which stays at 0'00", or the word PAUSE (even if the song is playing). Essentially I have to operate the music controls from the phone, thus making the hands free control useless and being rather unsafe as a driver.

I finally realized though that there were two music apps installed stock, Play Music and Verizon's My Music. Using My Music actually corrected the above problems. Playback is continuous between tracks, I can use the steering wheel controls, and track info displays properly. The track time still doesn't work but at least the PAUSE message is gone. The only issue with My Music (which bothers me a lot) is that playback doesn't resume when I restart the car. I have to physically take the phone out of my pocket, reopen the app, and press play. It's a shame that Verizon's added social network sharing garbage takes precedent over having a music player that works properly (or leaving in the stock Gallery app for that matter, grrrr).

I have looked at Mazda forums and found nothing. The Bluetooth profiles installed should be up to date enough for the car's software since other recent phones seem to have zero issues with it (RAZR and Nexus seem to be fine). I know my Droid 1 didn't have much extra functionality without A2DP but it worked. Now I have all the bells and whistles but a lack of functionality. All I can determine is the phone is the cause software wise.

I've tried factory resets, I've paired and unpaired the phone a million times, and I've searched Mazda forums for feedback. I'm not particularly asking a question here, but just documenting an issue for others to reference should they experience something similar. It's frustrating with the amount of garbage software Verizon seems to think we need, that the primary (and most enjoyable) use I have for my phone doesn't work. I love the phone as a piece of hardware, but the software is failing me and making me miss my OG Droid.

Cheers,
Mike

Last edited:
OP
battlecanary

battlecanary

Reaction score
Another detail: I tried out Winamp as a test of another music app. While it did resume playback after the car was off it experienced issues with the info displays. The info for artist was stuck on the last track I played on My Music and the time never updated. The wheel controls behaved properly.

As a further test I'll try to pair my phone to a friend's Prius tonight and see what happens. I suppose that'll be a more conclusive test of where the problem is.

OP
battlecanary

battlecanary

Reaction score
The Prius test played music back successfully, but had issues with the steering wheel controls not working at all. I guess it's the phone then. Would this be a problem with just my phone though, or something in the overall software? I haven't seen other complaints so I'd assume other people are having success with pairing their Droid 4s to other new cars.

boddah

Reaction score
Try this: Get a root explorer if you don't have one, go to your system/app/ directory on your phone, and add a .bak extension to blur_music.apk then reboot. I don't own the kind of car you're having problems with, but my Droid 4 didn't do well with bluetooth commands when there were multiple music players.

OP
battlecanary

battlecanary

Reaction score
Thanks for the response and the suggestion. Sadly neither renaming and restarting or freezing the apk in Titanium Backup had an effect on the wheel controls working properly. Still had the same issue as described above. It does seem odd that Android doesn't have a way to set a default music player. If Play Music thinks it should resume when I get in the car, but I had previously been listening to Winamp, both programs will play on top of each other. Seems like it could definitely screw with the bluetooth commands but I have no idea how one would get around this.

BensChillaxin

Reaction score
Hey man I'm in the same situation you are! Same 2012 Mazda 3. Steering wheel controls stopped changing songs for me.
Before it happened I was exploring alternative music apps that included equalizer controls. I was able to switch between the two apps and still have the steering wheel controls function properly. Later in the day I updated my phone's os to gingerbread 2.3.3. In the evening I went to open the new music app to play with the equalizer but it's trial period expired. I deleted the app. No controls work with this phone. I paired an old iPhone and the controls worked with that phone.

It's something with the phone... I'll post back if I resolve this.
:blink:

BensChillaxin

Reaction score
UPDATE - Ok. So I went to my car this morning and it still wasn't working. No resume playback and no steering wheel controls. :angry:

I downloaded another music app (WinAmp) and the bluetooth controls work with that app! However, once the screen sleeps the controls stop working until I have the app active with the screen awake. I tried everything from using both apps at once and playing songs over each other to uninstalling WinAmp. No success yet with the stock music app. Old Iphone still worked with bluetooth controls.

I'll play around some more on my lunch break. I'm as determined as ever to figure this out. I think it has something to do with bluetooth permissions in the phone, but I can't find anything within the bluetooth options and my HTC EVO doesn't have many options for the stock Android music app.

BensChillaxin

Reaction score
Fixed it!!! I powered down my phone and took the battery out for 10 seconds. After I put it back in everything was back to normal with the stock android music app. Go me! Haha :D

OP
battlecanary

battlecanary

Reaction score
Awesome to get some more feedback. So I have a bit of a problem in that I can't remove my battery on my Droid 4 without some hassle. But I have tested and duplicated my problem after a number of power off, resets, and factory resets, both rooted and unrooted. I still agree that it's the bluetooth software in the phone being weird, but I can't get much beyond that : (

Edit: The phone that I have that does have a removable battery is my old Droid 1, but as I said above that one works perfectly and has for ages, so no problem there.

Last edited:
OP
battlecanary

battlecanary

Reaction score
Okay, long response here. So I had a fluke happen earlier today. I was making a call when I got in the car waiting for the BT to connect. It paired and I finished the call at which point the Play Music app started pumping out music to the car's stereo. What was weird was that the car's display read "BT AUDIO," which is what it displayed when my old Droid 1 was connected, instead of "BT 01 0'00"" like it does when it tries to send track info over A2DP with the Droid 4. The wheel controls were responding and everything was working as it should normally (albeit there was no track info displayed on the dash, but I don't care about that).

Everything worked fine until I answered an incoming call, at which point when I hung up the track time mentioned above reappeared and the controls stopped functioning properly. When I got home I did some checking about disabling the individual component Bluetooth profiles and low and behold I discover that you can edit the BT configuration manually. After poking around and experimenting with changes I found a fix! Seems to be just disabling one value did the trick.

So here's what I did:

- launched the Root Explorer app (my phone is currently rooted)
- went to /etc/bluetooth
- mounted R/W
- opened audio.conf in the built-in text editor
- changed the line near the bottom that reads:

MetaDataSupport=1
to
MetaDataSupport=0

After saving, rebooting, and then re-pairing the car and phone, the display reads "BT AUDIO" and the controls are working perfectly again. I rebooted several times and tested all the wheel controls to make sure something wasn't giving me false hope. Everything worked.

The only caveat here is that if you care about the mp3 tag data displaying on the dash display you won't get it, but it solved whatever problem I was having. I still don't understand what caused the fluke where it worked earlier, but it gave me the idea to check for manual settings so all in all it's a win. Thanks to BensChillaxin for making me screw with the problem again. I had temporarily given up in disgust and was tired of getting nowhere. Needless to say there was much celebratory swearing and cheering when the damn thing worked.

I suppose if anyone else has a similar issue there might be a variable in the audio.conf file that could potentially resolve things, so make a backup and experiment. In this case it totally paid off!

OP
battlecanary

battlecanary

Reaction score
In case it helps here is the full text of the audio.conf file after editing:

# Configuration file for the audio service

# This section contains options which are not specific to any
# particular interface
# NOTE: Enable=Sink means that bluetoothd exposes Sink interface for remote
# devices, and the local device is a Source
[General]
Enable=Sink,Control
Disable=Headset,Gateway,Source

# Do not require master role for incoming connections
Master=false

# SCO routing. Either PCM or HCI (in which case audio is routed to/from ALSA)
# Defaults to HCI
#SCORouting=PCM

# Automatically connect both A2DP and HFP/HSP profiles for incoming
# connections. Some headsets that support both profiles will only connect the
# other one automatically so the default setting of true is usually a good
# idea.
#AutoConnect=true

# Headset interface specific options (i.e. options which affect how the audio
# service interacts with remote headset devices)
#[Headset]

# Set to true to support HFP (in addition to HSP only which is the default)
# Defaults to false
#HFP=true

# Maximum number of connected HSP/HFP devices per adapter. Defaults to 1
#MaxConnections=1

# Just an example of potential config options for the other interfaces
# Add MPEG12Sources=1 for MP3 codec support
[A2DP]
SBCSources=1
APTXSources=1

[AVRCP]
InputDeviceName=AVRCP
MetaDataSupport=0
ControllerSupport=1

BensChillaxin

Reaction score
Awesome! Glad to hear you got it fixed too. It was a short lived issue but it sure did get on my nerves!

I've never had the song name/time show up. I thought it was something I had to change in the mp3 tag or something. I might dive into that another day, but for now I'm happy the steering wheel controls are working again on my car! Zoom Zoom! :biggrin:

Deftrack

Reaction score
[...]
APTXSources=1
[...]
Does this mean that the Droid 4 supports APT-X? (High quality audio over bluetooth.)
(The Droid 4 looks a lot like the Razr. The Razr has APT-X support, which is confirmed here: Motorola RAZR XT910 review: Through thick and thin - Reader comments (see the quote from the user "jagguli", who has posted an email from Motorola), even though the Razr doesn't have APT-X listed in the official specs.)