Droid 3!

OP
woodyman

woodyman

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.droidconcepts.com
Going to respond to each section on its own and break it up to make it clear and better to understand.

Lol I love the new found D3 drama, so entertaining.

Yes, it can be so. This phone has only been released fully to the wild two days ago and there is already a ROM subsection in the Droid 3 section, hosted/started by our beloved woodyman author of some pretty good A855 Roms.

But the Earp is going to go ahead and open the drama ball a bit more than his previous response in this thread. Here is the OP of this thread by our venerated author, posted 7/7/11:

Why I stated overnight is probably because I was excited, I wish I could have gotten same day.. lol, [and well if I wanted to get technical and be a douche about it I could say because there was also an option for regular and I wanted everyone to know I got one day, but that's not why I said it]

Yes I got the same phone as everyone else, ordered from the VZW corporate store near me, and yes it was my belief at the time that the stock VZW phones were coming locked with an unlockable bootloader just like the Xoom, which is why I pushed it even though I shouldn't have been, and I later realized that and tried to correct my mistake and I believe I apologized already, we all know how it is when you get a new toy. Every kid and adult too want to brag to their friends and everyone else about their new toys.

As far as the custom ROM section I made this thread in my D1 section and it got moved here, I did mention to make me a section to an admin because again I FIGURED it would be coming unlockable, keyword here is FIGURED. As far as your leaked SBF file I've had them I've tried them they brick the production versions That SBF was pre-production I ASSUMED it would work on the production, and i was wrong, I wish I had a production SBF but I havn't been able to get me one yet, I am working on it and hope to have one soon, but as of now I do not and if I did it would be posted. To be honest VZW corporate stores near me don't even the SBF yet, I took in the D3 in the bootloader to all the 4 corporate stores near me and they all told me they don't have the files they would need to program my phone and I would have to send it back or wait until they get them. So as far as an SBF file coming I'd say it wont be coming in the next few days, most people are actually saying stores near them don't even have the device in stock, all the stores near me have a few of them but not many and most were sold out, and NONE of them had accessories for it. Mind you this is 4 corporate stores, 3 other retailers and 2 mall outlets, and the mall ones didn't even know the device was out when I asked for accessories they guy actually asked to see it because he hadn't even saw one yet, lol. So at this time as far as I KNOW SBF is not in the next few days, again though this is me and in my part of the country, as far as more popular regions like NY they may very well have the SBF and it could be released tonight or tomorrow or at any time.

Ordered my D3 today with overnight shipping, <snip>

The rest of the quote I snipped as it was irrelevant to my point. When one orders a new phone from VZW it is almost always overnight shipping, that being the case it is inferred to me that woody ordered the phone from VZW. A stock phone. The same that anyone else would receive. But then this thread goes on (and rightfully so) that this phone is still 'locked' and/or has a locked bootloader (this part I replied to). But at the end of the day, we don't even know! This phone has yet to even be rooted, yet we have a custom rom section for it? There was one who posted in this section somewhere that all the exploits are closed but all we have to do is roll it back to Froyo (2.2.x) to root it. Now how is that done with a phone that ships with Gingerbread (2.3.x)? Now a good point was raised there, that if anyone could find a leaked .sbf file, it would be Team Black Hat. That is a FACT.

Answered above mostly. If I really wanted a development version of the phone I could probably check into and possibly get one, I don't know for sure, if I was offered would I pass it up probably not, but like you said I would state that and let people know. We all know why we can't name sources people can't afford to lose their jobs over this stuff as much as it helps all of us, we have to consider where these files come from as well, its a big risk for everyone involved with handling and transferring of the files, we've all seen the C&D's from Moto and others, so we all know how serious it is.

But anyways, then it is inferred:

You don't really think Woody would buy an unlockable device do you???? ;)

Which leads me to believe that woodyman did NOT order his D3 from VZW, but from one of the same channels that I am familiar with for development phones, but those sources, though already partially mentioned, do speak clearly and just say, yes I will be buying a D3 development phone from my source whom I cannot name (the guys behind TBH, one of which whom I am also an acquaintance)

I think this is my favorite.. lol.. I said this because I DIDN'T have the production version yet and I figured it would be unlockable just like the pre-production. To be honest to me if the pre-production version had it and with all the controversy and complaints about the locked bootloaders I figured it was 95% shot that it was coming unlockable. I was wrong.

as far as my sources If I COULD give details I would, it would be great to truly give give the credit behind all the leaks to the person actually behind them, instead we all recognize the person who posts it, sometimes the same person who actually gets the leak, but not always. I have meet countless people over the past year most of which work in the IT/Tech industry and they have all been great people to talk with and work beside and most of which I talk to daily. I know some of them personally and others only over the forums or chat. As far as custom ROMs I DO strongly believe that even if a future update does not enable an unlockable bootloader like what was done with the Motorola Atrix then someone in the community will get it, just like many of the phones have been. I am not saying it will be me, it could be anyone everyone has the same potential on new phones like this, its mostly a luck of the draw because everything up to this point isn't working and this needs something new so who knows who will unlock it and when. Yeah I wish it could be me would be nice to accomplish that on a personal level not just for the popularity here. I have been working with birdman to try some new methods and old methods of trying to root we haven't been successful yet but hey we learned how to not root the D3! 2 of my favorite quotes of all time.

“There are no failures - just experiences and your reactions to them.”

“I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong”

To me its not about the failures, its what you gain from them, and the success you find in them that matters, nothing else.

I don't know what locked means...... ;)

So what is it, woody? Do you have a friend (and/or a friend of a friend who works for Moto) or are you just getting the same as the rest and are going to root it with RATC or some other method? Thereby allowing us to load a custom ROM? But then, even if you are getting a developer's phone, will that help the rest of us serfs get our regular D3's rooted and rommed?

Stirrin' the pot. . . .

If I missed something or you have further questions or want me to clarify something else feel free to ask man.

Last edited:

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Woodyman, first I want to truly apologize. I know my post was a bit sarcastic in places and such, but I had no malice whatsoever in my heart toward you while I posted it, nor did I mean it at all to criticize you or anyone else. I think you have done great work and have been an asset to the A855 community.

My intent was to get the more details from you as you now have posted for which I thank you. Hey, we're all curious and excited about this new phone. I had been following the pre-release thread over at HoFo and forgot even the exact release date. Then when I saw this section and a rom section, I was, WOW! Then I started reading and then remembered that the thing only got released last Friday. So knowing that I'm not the only one who has some people in his circle that have Motorola engineers in theirs, I thought I'd ask for more info, which you now have provided.

Personally, I have been offered to buy engineering versions of the Droid 1, 2, 2G, and X, but I am too poor to afford them. The only engineering phone I did pop on was the Napoleon over two years ago when I had more $$$. If you truly would like to see about an engineering version of the Droid 3, send me a PM and I'll see if that avenue is still open.

Thanks and good luck.

OP
woodyman

woodyman

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.droidconcepts.com
Don't worry about it man I understand we all questions about stuff it's not a problem, I didn't your message as you out to get me our anything so don't worry.I've never been offered the dev versions of phones I wish I had a solid moto contact mine are VZW.

Woodyman, first I want to truly apologize. I know my post was a bit sarcastic in places and such, but I had no malice whatsoever in my heart toward you while I posted it, nor did I mean it at all to criticize you or anyone else. I think you have done great work and have been an asset to the A855 community.

My intent was to get the more details from you as you now have posted for which I thank you. Hey, we're all curious and excited about this new phone. I had been following the pre-release thread over at HoFo and forgot even the exact release date. Then when I saw this section and a rom section, I was, WOW! Then I started reading and then remembered that the thing only got released last Friday. So knowing that I'm not the only one who has some people in his circle that have Motorola engineers in theirs, I thought I'd ask for more info, which you now have provided.

Personally, I have been offered to buy engineering versions of the Droid 1, 2, 2G, and X, but I am too poor to afford them. The only engineering phone I did pop on was the Napoleon over two years ago when I had more $$$. If you truly would like to see about an engineering version of the Droid 3, send me a PM and I'll see if that avenue is still open.

Thanks and good luck.

Sent from my Droid 3

matthileo

Reaction score
Thinking about a D3 but the PenTile screen is a negative to me , will have a look see at a display model and go from there .

I got a droid 3. I was like you at first, hatin on the pentile. I can see the pixels sometimes but I have grown to like it. It gives some screens a texture and it looks cool.

I agree about the pentile adding texture. I kinda like it.

[sent from my droid]

Cdjones187

Reaction score
Just bumping for a possible update now that we have root and a way to recover through RSD. dancedroid

Yonnor

I r Teh Greetest
Reaction score
We still have a locked bootloader and no way to get a custom recovery though. So it's still gonna be some time.

Cdjones187

Reaction score
I wouldn't say a 'long' time, we have the official OTA which isn't a SBF but is flashable via RSD so a custom recovery isn't far off. After that we have fastboot and 2nd init paths we can take to work towards a 'almost custom' rom, minus the kernel. I wasn't asking for an update on rom progress, Woody is a great dev and I'm sure he has more to do with the D3 then just making a rom for it. I also know like other devs, woody has other things called life to attend to. No hurry here, just curious since woody hasn't mentioned anything for almost 2 months and so much has happened in that time.

I've been following over at XDA and on IRC, DF.net isn't very up to date lately.

P

PILLKOZ

We do have a sbf file. Do your research pimp.. we should have a custom recovery by november which is fine with me.. the DROID 3 is pretty amazing stock. Its a 3g bionic at the end of the day..

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

chevycam94

SteelDroid ROM / Cortex ROM Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
steelroms.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P, VZW Note Edge, D1
I just got my D3 today, and sure enough, its rootable! Been playing around with it for quite a while now, and its VERY smooth, and root is amazing. I can do all kinds of things with it, including pull apart framework-res.apk and modify the look. When I get something together, I will post my screenshots of it.

BTW, you should all take a look HERE for information on how to modify your baseband to allow for built-in tethering support.....for FREE! I have already done it, and tested it. Works like a charm, and at full speeds none-the-less! I WILL warn you, it DOES look very techincal, but your only changing 3 things, and its very easy. Hardest part will be setting up your drivers so the D3 gets recognized correctly. I have all the necessary files for it, but I cant link to them here, its against policy, so do a little Googling!

audischwaaa

Reaction score
I don't know how you guys live w/o a physical keyboard, I have fairly small fingers and I still mis hit keys on the softkeyboard, I can type almost 50wpm on my physical keyboard and around 10 with the soft