droid 3 software update

geobronc

Reaction score
Don't use the instant upload feature. Use the share feature, then select the Facebook for Android app. It will look a lot better.

Nope, tried that and the picture looks really bad. Looks good on my phone, but when posted and or emailed the picture looks very matted with fine lines vertically and horizontally. I dont know how to fix this.

geobronc

Reaction score
For those that have installed the update, how is the camera tint now? Still bluish?

Blue tint is gone after the update for me. However, still my pics look bad when posted or sent by email. not tint issues, just that they look like a painting with cross sections when looking at the pictures.

OP
M

matt192004

Reaction score
when will the ota update roll out? went to the store tomorrow will be 2 weeks ago and they told me the ota update will roll out but here is my question when will it roll out? IF its in the new droid 3s they are saling now why dont they roll the update out for current droid 3 owners also

lotzakritters

Reaction score
when will the ota update roll out? went to the store tomorrow will be 2 weeks ago and they told me the ota update will roll out but here is my question when will it roll out? IF its in the new droid 3s they are saling now why dont they roll the update out for current droid 3 owners also

No one will ever know till the day of. It has alway been that way. It's all the what if and hoping. People can say anything they want to about a leak or official, but it doesn't become real till it drops. Just have to wait and see.

Sent from my DROID3

TyrantII

Reaction score
Did the update make it more snappy?

Love the feel and performance of the Bionic, but the thing is a tablet. Looking at the D3, but worried it isn't going to last as long as my OG did.

lotzakritters

Reaction score
Did the update make it more snappy?

Love the feel and performance of the Bionic, but the thing is a tablet. Looking at the D3, but worried it isn't going to last as long as my OG did.

I personally think it made the phone hella faster. The battery is what is a winner for me. And to answer the last question, time will tell. I'm sure back when you got you OG Droid, you didn't think you would still be rocking it, for this long, either. Just saying

Sent from my DROID3

TyrantII

Reaction score
I personally think it made the phone hella faster. The battery is what is a winner for me. And to answer the last question, time will tell. I'm sure back when you got you OG Droid, you didn't think you would still be rocking it, for this long, either. Just saying

Sent from my DROID3

Very true. But rooting and the fact that the Droid was handicapped from the start helped. Seems newer phones are slowly getting closer to their actual hardware limits now, and not artificially being limited by the manufacturer. My OG, while RAM has always been an issue, was able to overclock to 2X is factory level. That's a lot of handicap out of the box, which is why it's lasted the test of time.

I'm sure the D3 and Bionic will be overclockable, but who knows how much. RAM is my bigger worry.

I guess if I can de-bloat the D3 and have it run as snappy as the Bionic I'd be fine with that. I've always been a minimalist in terms of widgets and things running that I don't need right at that moment (social apps, media).

So, pull the trigger?

lotzakritters

Reaction score
Very true. But rooting and the fact that the Droid was handicapped from the start helped. Seems newer phones are slowly getting closer to their actual hardware limits now, and not artificially being limited by the manufacturer. My OG, while RAM has always been an issue, was able to overclock to 2X is factory level. That's a lot of handicap out of the box, which is why it's lasted the test of time.

I'm sure the D3 and Bionic will be overclockable, but who knows how much. RAM is my bigger worry.

I guess if I can de-bloat the D3 and have it run as snappy as the Bionic I'd be fine with that. I've always been a minimalist in terms of widgets and things running that I don't need right at that moment (social apps, media).

So, pull the trigger?

I agree. The OG was and is in, a catagory all by itself. If you are wanting a phone that in turn, is fast, has a full keyboard, I don't think you will be sorry with the D3. The Boinic and the D3 are both awesome phones. Your choice, bro.

Sent from my DROID3

OP
M

matt192004

Reaction score
with the leaked update how much better does the phone do overall? plus no one ever answered my question how long is the motorla micro usb vehicle charger cord? Will the cord reach to the back seat with room to spare?

donnieworld

Reaction score
with the leaked update how much better does the phone do overall? plus no one ever answered my question how long is the motorla micro usb vehicle charger cord? Will the cord reach to the back seat with room to spare?

I don't know about the update, but the usb cord for the vehicle charger is about 3' long. I don't think it will reach to the back seat.

BJPalmer85

Reaction score
This OTA needs to drop and quick. Having some issues with my D3 (nothing to big but they are irksome). Looking forward to the camera getting a fix.

B

donnieworld

Reaction score
At this point I think Motorola and Verizon have really dropped the ball with the Droid 3. We should not be encountering so many issues.

The update is ready and Verizon is just sitting on it asking customers to put up with these flaws while they slowly proceed through unorganized business processes.

With so many great smartphones, this expereince will have me considering other options next time I upgrade. That is unfortunate because I was a diehard Motorola and Verizon fan :(

BJPalmer85

Reaction score
At this point I think Motorola and Verizon have really dropped the ball with the Droid 3. We should not be encountering so many issues.

The update is ready and Verizon is just sitting on it asking customers to put up with these flaws while they slowly proceed through unorganized business processes.

With so many great smartphones, this expereince will have me considering other options next time I upgrade. That is unfortunate because I was a diehard Motorola and Verizon fan :(

I agree that it is taking an ridiculous amount of time for the update to roll out but i have not seen a ton of issues with the phone.

Me personally i have seen the camera issue on most (of not all phones) and my own personal lagging issue. which was corrected by a data reset (several actually). Which isnt a big deal in my opinion. I think this is to be expected with the open platform and if you dont want a phone like this than people should stick with the iPhone.

I believe a lot of the issues revolve around the manufactures pushing these phones out a little to fast (case in point the D2G). That phone was full of FAIL (again my opinion). If they would slow down just a bit everything would be fine.

Anyway, i love my D3. I love the speed of the dual-core processor especially when connected to wi-fi. The 5 row keyboard is extremely nice and simple to use. Sure i wish certain buttons didnt need the ALT key pressed first but who cares...not that big of a deal.

I believe the review that was given was completely biased and wholly inaccurate. Sure the phone has some issues (like the blue tint on the camera) but it is still a sleek and powerful phone. Talk of the phone being to bulky is absurd IMO, i have the case/holster combo for it and love the size and feel (to each his own).

As for Verizon. I love them. I was with AT&T for 6 years. Through good and bad. The quality in service of verizon or at&t was evident in the first month (if not sooner).

my .02

B

jmorgania

Reaction score

I have to disagree that the update is ready or that this is a verizon issue of not rolling it out. It has been reported on multiple android forums that Motorola is just rolling out the soak test today. Verizon can't very well push out an update that Motorola has not released to them. I had believed that the soak test was already underway. I guess knowing the soak test is actually starting today would indicate the update should roll out soon. In general the update usually rolls out within a week of the soak test start unless problems are found.