Droid 3 SIM unlock discussion

ThaBaX

Reaction score
Got my D3 yesterday and can confirm unlock codes from swiftunlocks.com work. Using it in Germany with no issues so far.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

hey i am thinking abt getting a droid 3 for using it constantly in germany. can you pls tell me your experience with it using it in germany. does everything work regarding 3g edge gprs texts calls etc.

thanks for the information;)

best regards

ThaBaX

rweb

Reaction score
I'm using the phone for more than 2 weeks now and can really confirm there are no issues at all with GSM/UMTS. It's definitely not suffering the weaknesses D2G had.
BTW, WLAN is running much more stable as well, at least for me.
I absolutely recommend the phone for use in Europe.

My only complaint so far is that it's not yet rooted. ;-)

strike001x

Reaction score
droid 3 prepaid verizon sim

Hello I am a verizon member for 5years now. I currently purchased a droid 3 plus an extra one with the buy one get one free offer from verizon. have a family share plan with 4 lines on it. At moment im only using 1 of the droid 3s I purchased. My wife was not interested in the phone so I have an extra droid 3. I am thinking of using the phone for one of my sons but want it to be a prepaid instead because it is a smart phone. Is there any way I can purchase a prepaid plan with verizon, will I still need call verizon to unlock the sim and do I need a new sim or I can I use the one that came with the phone to set up a new number and use this droid as a prepaid phone. Thank you I hope this information can help solve my problem to use the droid 3 as a pay as u go prepaid phone.

silver6054

Reaction score
Hello I am a verizon member for 5years now. I currently purchased a droid 3 plus an extra one with the buy one get one free offer from verizon. have a family share plan with 4 lines on it. At moment im only using 1 of the droid 3s I purchased. My wife was not interested in the phone so I have an extra droid 3. I am thinking of using the phone for one of my sons but want it to be a prepaid instead because it is a smart phone. Is there any way I can purchase a prepaid plan with verizon, will I still need call verizon to unlock the sim and do I need a new sim or I can I use the one that came with the phone to set up a new number and use this droid as a prepaid phone. Thank you I hope this information can help solve my problem to use the droid 3 as a pay as u go prepaid phone.

You plan to use this in the US, right? If so, nothing to do with the SIM (you can't use GSM in the US anyway), so you will need to ask Verizon if you can transfer this to a prepaid "plan"

strike001x

Reaction score
You plan to use this in the US, right? If so, nothing to do with the SIM (you can't use GSM in the US anyway), so you will need to ask Verizon if you can transfer this to a prepaid "plan"

Ok yeah i do plan only use it in US. So i just need call verizon i guess. My concern was if i bought a prepaid sim and put it in the phone and then having it not work. Sry about all the confusion.

OP
L

leobg

Reaction score
Ok yeah i do plan only use it in US. So i just need call verizon i guess. My concern was if i bought a prepaid sim and put it in the phone and then having it not work. Sry about all the confusion.

Droid 3 will refuse to accept any SIM card while in US (radio is configured to disallow connections to other US operators but Verizon). If you plan to use it in the States, your only choice is Verizon. You could eventually activate it on a monthly prepaid plan that will cost you like $75 a month to have unlimited data and 450 anytime min and other goodies. I don't think you can activate on any other (cheaper) plan..

on a second thought, you can "flash" it to other COMA operator in the States. So Verizon isn't your only choice. But when it comes to SIM cards, it won't work with any operator is US who uses SIM cards.

Sent from my XT860 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

strike001x

Reaction score
Droid 3 will refuse to accept any SIM card while in US (radio is configured to disallow connections to other US operators but Verizon). If you plan to use it in the States, your only choice is Verizon. You could eventually activate it on a monthly prepaid plan that will cost you like $75 a month to have unlimited data and 450 anytime min and other goodies. I don't think you can activate on any other (cheaper) plan..

on a second thought, you can "flash" it to other COMA operator in the States. So Verizon isn't your only choice. But when it comes to SIM cards, it won't work with any operator is US who uses SIM cards.

Sent from my XT860 using Tapatalk

Yeah that's wat I was hoping to do either the monthly prepaid plan or the daily access paln. Either way I was hoping get a plan with data plan optional like a pay per usage for data. What do you mean by flash? do u mean unlock the sim by calling verizon so I can use another prepaid sim on my droid? Cause either way as long as I can get the phone to work for just call and txt im fine disabling data on the phone via settings and just use my data plan via wifi

OP
L

leobg

Reaction score
Others call the procedure of reprogramming the CDMA radio "flashing" (like "I flashed my phone to Cricket"). Since CDMA system does not use SIM cards (subscriber identification modules), programming is kept in special area of the radio which can be configured with subscriber's details so radio works with certain CDMA network. By default the phone comes "flashed" to Verizon of course. Reconfiguring the CDMA radio is by no means simple procedure and requires specific tools and knowledge how to use them. I know other CDMA phones which are very similar to D3 (like D2global) can be re-configured in such matter. Now, when armed with the right 'keywords', you should really look around (search) how to do it or find someone who can help.

strike001x

Reaction score
just wanted say thanks for the help I figured out what i needed today. I asked at a verizon store and they said they could activate the driod 3 I have on a monthly prepaid plan. I would just have to have the mandatory $30 for unlimited txting and $45 for monthly access of 450mins other than that txting is my choice if i want unlimited for $20 or a lesser plan for texts. for now ive been using the textfree app on andriod market and since ill have 3g and data on the phone ill have to settle for 2numbers one for txting on TEXTFREE and the other for my calls with the verizon number. thanks again for all the help.

antimoh

Reaction score
I ordered and received my DROID 3 about a month ago but after a number of unsuccessful attempts I still can't unlock it(((
I hope someone can advice me what to do with my problem. Since I received my phone I ordered unlock codes from two different "unlock code providers" - they [codes] were exactly the same but for some reason neither of them work. Now I can't even use Verizon sim card that was in the box with the phone because it asks for a code every time I turn on the phone (no matter which sim card is inside). The result is always the same - it ends up with a message "Your phone subsidy locked. Please contact your Network Provider".
Did anyone face the same issues? And could the reason be that I used too much attempts to enter the code?

Thank you in advance.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Venom51

Reaction score
Called last night to get the unlock code for the wife's phone as she is headed to the UK this week. Thay gave us both codes for both phones. No muss no fuss.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Called last night to get the unlock code for the wife's phone as she is headed to the UK this week. Thay gave us both codes for both phones. No muss no fuss.
I'm in the same boat, trip early next year. Would you please post back post-trip and let us know how it goes? :)

Thanks!

-Matt

Venom51

Reaction score
The wife walked into a shop over there. Bought a prepaid Sim...activated it. Dropped it in the phone and called me. Worked perfectly and if she can do it...than anyone can do it.

silver6054

Reaction score
The wife walked into a shop over there. Bought a prepaid Sim...activated it. Dropped it in the phone and called me. Worked perfectly and if she can do it...than anyone can do it.

Once the phone is unlocked, then (usually!) no problem. The trick is getting the phone unlocked if you are not a Verizon customer (or you fail to meet their requirements)

luiferrestrepo

Reaction score
I ordered and received my DROID 3 about a month ago but after a number of unsuccessful attempts I still can't unlock it(((
I hope someone can advice me what to do with my problem. Since I received my phone I ordered unlock codes from two different "unlock code providers" - they [codes] were exactly the same but for some reason neither of them work. Now I can't even use Verizon sim card that was in the box with the phone because it asks for a code every time I turn on the phone (no matter which sim card is inside). The result is always the same - it ends up with a message "Your phone subsidy locked. Please contact your Network Provider".
Did anyone face the same issues? And could the reason be that I used too much attempts to enter the code?

Thank you in advance.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Same problem here.
Even worst it seems that verizon changed the codes for newer phones. I am in colombia just waiting have tried like 5 different services and nothing works.