Droid 3 SIM unlock discussion

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
f) According to the rep I talked to, this will work on even USA carriers (my guess is that they made the phone this way so that they can actually release it anywhere in the world on any carrier without changing the hardware, just software, probably). So if you have a friend on a USA GSM carrier, you could probably borrow your SIM to test it out.

That part is not true, but the rest is spot-on. Verizon completely locks out the US GSM bands on their global Android phones, so it can't be used with AT&T or T-Mobile at all. You probably could use a US SIM card to get the unlock prompt though.

The lockout is certainly true on the Pro/ D2G, and it seems the D3, but I was able to get GSM in the US on my new HTC Incredible 2.

Now that you mention it, I seem to remember reading that before. The Verizon Touch Pro 2 I had a couple years back would work on US GSM networks as well. Maybe Verizon isn't as concerned about it when there's already a GSM equivalent readily available (as there was for the Touch Pro 2 and is for the Incredible 2). It's definitely true for the Motorola Droids though.

alext77

Reaction score
It's a mixed bag. There are times where the signal is very good and quite strong. I spent most of the time in the Docklands area where it's not so bad.

Walked through very populated areas near Oxford Circus and Bond Street at the weekend, and coverage was not as consistent. There are also times where the phone does not recognize a 3G signal and stays in the slower mode for a brief while - especially when emerging from "No Service" areas - inside buildings, etc.

I don't think it's quite up to par with my Blackberry which is on a Company SIM via Vodafone. It has nearly univeral strong signal all over London.

How is signal strength reported on "3" in the UK for you? Is it steady full bars or like the D2G, 1-2 bars at best and constantly disappearing

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

alext77

Reaction score
The data will work on the GSM/UMTS portion but YOU MUST CHANGE THE APN from the Verizon native Vodafone NL roaming SIM one to whatever provider your using prepaid.

This can be modified when the phone is in GSM/UMTS mode and the APN settings.

That's what the rep was talking about, for the 'average' non-technical user only the Voice/SMS (text) will automatically work with the inserted prepaid SIM once unlocked.

Did not have to do this at all for my Virgin Mobile UK, or 3 network SIM. The proper APN was selected automatically by the phone.

silver6054

Reaction score
The data will work on the GSM/UMTS portion but YOU MUST CHANGE THE APN from the Verizon native Vodafone NL roaming SIM one to whatever provider your using prepaid.

This can be modified when the phone is in GSM/UMTS mode and the APN settings.

That's what the rep was talking about, for the 'average' non-technical user only the Voice/SMS (text) will automatically work with the inserted prepaid SIM once unlocked.

Did not have to do this at all for my Virgin Mobile UK, or 3 network SIM. The proper APN was selected automatically by the phone.

Seems to vary (though on what I have no idea!) I did have to manually set the APNs for my Talkmobile (UK) Sims on my D2G

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

mogulos

Reaction score
My wife is going to Germany in a week and we have the unlock code for her D3. What's the best/easiest/cheapest way to get a pre-paid SIM card for her to use while she is in Germany? Buy here, buy there, what vendors/carriers? Thanks!

geobernd

Reaction score
My wife is going to Germany in a week and we have the unlock code for her D3. What's the best/easiest/cheapest way to get a pre-paid SIM card for her to use while she is in Germany? Buy here, buy there, what vendors/carriers? Thanks!
Get a local card. If your wife is visiting friends have them pre-order from simyo.de (my favorite) or blau.de . Both offer 1GB of data for 9,99 EUR and 9cent a minute domestic calls... If you need a retailer Tchibo has branded O2 SIMs in their stores and also offers data. Their rates may be 10-20% higher comparde to simyo.de or blau.de (I don't have the latest tshibo rates).....

droid3lover

Reaction score
questions on using droid 3 in Middle East

Hi All,

• I am living in middle east (GSM networks GSM 900/1800) and planning to buy Motorola DROID 3 - 16GB - Black (Verizon) Smartphone from eBay. Will it be possible for me to use this phone in this part of the world?.

• · I understand that I will have to get the sim unlock code and I saw a vendor in ebay who provides the same. I hope that he will be able to provide me the unlock code. Please let me know if there is any known issues on this.

• · My other worry is on phone activation. Many vendors in ebay has listed their items as brand new not activated. Since I am planning to use it outside of US, does this activation required?. I hope that once I push my sim card , it will start working like any other GSM phone. Please correct me if my understanding is wrong.

• · Do I have to verify the ESN before I purchase the phone?. Someone told me that phones with bad esn will be cheaper than normal phones and we will be able to use it outside US. Please correct me if this info is wrong

I request you to kindly guide me on this. I am sorry for such a long post and for my bad English.

Thanks In advance,
VKS

OP
L

leobg

Reaction score
Hi All,

• I am living in middle east (GSM networks GSM 900/1800) and planning to buy Motorola DROID 3 - 16GB - Black (Verizon) Smartphone from eBay. Will it be possible for me to use this phone in this part of the world?.

• · I understand that I will have to get the sim unlock code and I saw a vendor in ebay who provides the same. I hope that he will be able to provide me the unlock code. Please let me know if there is any known issues on this.

• · My other worry is on phone activation. Many vendors in ebay has listed their items as brand new not activated. Since I am planning to use it outside of US, does this activation required?. I hope that once I push my sim card , it will start working like any other GSM phone. Please correct me if my understanding is wrong.

• · Do I have to verify the ESN before I purchase the phone?. Someone told me that phones with bad esn will be cheaper than normal phones and we will be able to use it outside US. Please correct me if this info is wrong

I request you to kindly guide me on this. I am sorry for such a long post and for my bad English.

Thanks In advance,
VKS

Regarding Middle East - you are fine - GSM is quad band - has all world bands. If there is 3G on 2100 (Europe and Asia 3G frequency), you might get 3G as well.

As far as sim unlock code goes, the only confirmed unlocks so far have been from users who contacted Verizon Global support (had accounts in good standing/etc/etc). No one has reported yet successful D3 unlock with code provided by online unlocker. Given the bad track record with Droid 2 Global, it is quite likely Verizon did same with D3's and unlock codes online unlockers get will not work. If you feel you can play guinea pig and want to try - our community will be very thankful.

Phone activation is not necessary given the fact you get the phone SIM unlocked. Activation is required only if you plan to use the phone with Verizon. Activation screen upon initial boot can be easily bypassed by tapping in the 4 corners on the screen while the phone is showing the "Lets activate" screen.

ESN is irrelevant if you are not going to use the phone on Verizon. Again - very important - given the fact you can SIM unlock the phone without help from Verizon.

Few other things you should be aware. It is very likely, just like with D2G, Verizon has crippled some features that are necessary for using the phone with foreign SIM card - one of them is USSD codes - those short codes many operators have so you can check your balance, recharge your prepaid card/etc/etc. Another thing is call forwarding - you have no control over call forwarding with this phone unless you are using it on Verizon. 3rd thing some may find important - MMS - likely won't work if not used on Verizon.

I would recommend you to wait for Motorola XT860 4G - a phone which is already confirmed (coming to an operator in Canada) which is essentially the same phone as D3, but is pure GSM/UMTS phone and will be more suitable for the region you are planning to use it. Or eventually wait for the Euro/Asia bond model (Milestone 3?) which unfortunately is not yet confirmed or released, but I am pretty sure it will be.

droid3lover

Reaction score
thanks a lot Leobg for the detailed explanation.

It is very sad to see that there are not many good qwerty phones around in android world for GSM. As leobg suggested, I think I will have to wait for Motorola XT860 4G.

Today, I read somewhere that Verizon/best buy has started accepting the pre launch orders. Can you please confirm the same for me.

thanks,
VKS

rweb

Reaction score
Got my D3 yesterday and can confirm unlock codes from swiftunlocks.com work. Using it in Germany with no issues so far.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

droid3lover

Reaction score
what about the issues of MMS and USSD codes for checking the prepaid balance?.

rweb

Reaction score
Don't know about MMS issues with D2G, but I never used MMS anyway.

But USSD, didn't check up to now, expected it won't work as with D2G ... but WOW! It works with D3. Just checked it, I'm not joking, it really works.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL

PuneE

Reaction score