Droid 3 Recovery

Fr33dom

Reaction score
Weird, mine I can also take out no problem without having to remove the battery.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

That seems a little suspicious at first blush. The SD card seems to sit in a little depression that is about 3/8" above the battery. That depression is about a 16th of in inch taller than the card. So for that statement to be true, you'd have to be using a card that would sit in the receiver at an angle and that almost certainly would clear the extended battery by virtue of the fact that it is already at an angle. Do they even make larger cards?

The SIM card on the other hand would require you remove the extended battery. Even the regular battery gets in the way a bit and it would probably be advisable to remove it first.
The SD Card? It's in a different location then the battery. All you do is slide it out, then flip the phone over and it comes out. Otherwise.. yeah, I guess you can't just normally pull it out, you do need to tilt it some(unless you got some good nails). The Sim Card comes right out as well(normal batter) but it bends a bit.

Edit - Also, my OG Droid was rooted.. but at the same time, I never fully grasped the difference between unlocked bootloaders vs root?

I should have said that the suspicious statement was the one made by psouza4

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
That seems a little suspicious at first blush. The SD card seems to sit in a little depression that is about 3/8" above the battery. That depression is about a 16th of in inch taller than the card. So for that statement to be true, you'd have to be using a card that would sit in the receiver at an angle and that almost certainly would clear the extended battery by virtue of the fact that it is already at an angle. Do they even make larger cards?

The SIM card on the other hand would require you remove the extended battery. Even the regular battery gets in the way a bit and it would probably be advisable to remove it first.
The SD Card? It's in a different location then the battery. All you do is slide it out, then flip the phone over and it comes out. Otherwise.. yeah, I guess you can't just normally pull it out, you do need to tilt it some(unless you got some good nails). The Sim Card comes right out as well(normal batter) but it bends a bit.

Edit - Also, my OG Droid was rooted.. but at the same time, I never fully grasped the difference between unlocked bootloaders vs root?

Ah, now that makes sense. Quote confused me.

psouza4

Reaction score

Ah, now that makes sense. Quote confused me.
Ignore me -- I am completely retarded. I can remove the microSD card just fine on my Droid 3. I have no idea what I was thinking when I posted that. :icon_eek:

das7771

Reaction score
I think the new droid is a great device for people who would never care about rooting. I have been bad about looking at a device from the rooted glasses and if it was locked I thought it to be a subpar phone. But their are people who want that user experience and dont care if they can unlock bootloaders or root. Will the d3 be for people me, no because I want root but those that dont care should love it.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

i want root to, but i also prefer having a keyboard for typing and emulators. i also wanted a dualcore phone as well. the d3 has all of those and i still want root as well. have a little faith dammit...lol...if the D3 isnt rooted by september then i will be upgrading to the bionic or possibly the sgsII. one thing about samsung is they have a more open mind about bootloaders, but in my opinion motorola has a damn good build quality. i am enjoying the d3 as of now but will be bored of it in the next month or two if things dont change.

cyferhax

Reaction score

This I can help explain ;)

Root means you have full admin access to the operating system running on your phone. This lets you read and write from the /system mount point, and do things like insert modules into the kernel (for the wifi tether app; and overclocking apps), install or remove system apps (bloatware); and install things like ClockWork recovery's Bootstrap because you can write to almost everything on the phone.

Now; bootloaders are different. They generally are ALL locked in some way, its just that some are encrypted and some are not. The OG droid had a locked bootloader, but it was NOT encrypted so the community was able to crack it open and replace the boot files.. so you got cool custom kernels and full AOSP roms.

The Droid 2 for example; has an encrypted bootloader; this is the real problem as the only way to get some rom's running (say Cyanogen) is for them to either use the 2nd init trick, or be able to replace the entire bootloader.

From what I gather, the kernel with gingerbread is much, much harder to exploit for 2nd init (right now I don't think anyone has successfully done it) and with the encrypted bootloader the D3 will be like the D2 unless we can get Motorola to un-encrypt it for us.

Hopefully my Kindergarten-level of understanding on this has helped some ;)

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

This I can help explain ;)

Root means you have full admin access to the operating system running on your phone. This lets you read and write from the /system mount point, and do things like insert modules into the kernel (for the wifi tether app; and overclocking apps), install or remove system apps (bloatware); and install things like ClockWork recovery's Bootstrap because you can write to almost everything on the phone.

Now; bootloaders are different. They generally are ALL locked in some way, its just that some are encrypted and some are not. The OG droid had a locked bootloader, but it was NOT encrypted so the community was able to crack it open and replace the boot files.. so you got cool custom kernels and full AOSP roms.

The Droid 2 for example; has an encrypted bootloader; this is the real problem as the only way to get some rom's running (say Cyanogen) is for them to either use the 2nd init trick, or be able to replace the entire bootloader.

From what I gather, the kernel with gingerbread is much, much harder to exploit for 2nd init (right now I don't think anyone has successfully done it) and with the encrypted bootloader the D3 will be like the D2 unless we can get Motorola to un-encrypt it for us.

Hopefully my Kindergarten-level of understanding on this has helped some ;)

Ah, thanks! Definitely helped, appreciate it!

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

btonetbone

Reaction score
Found that like the OG droid you can boot to system recovery by powering off the phone and pressing x and the power at the same time.

It will bring you to the all to familiar triangle and "!" screen. From there swype your finger down over the volume rocker to unlock the menu.

Not sure if this is already known, or how hard it would of been to figure it out. But here it is!

DAMN IT! I made a stupid mistake. I went into the menu and accidentally wiped my phone. I'm so used to the original Droid having the Power button act as an escape key that I instinctively pressed it. Turns out the power button now selects the option you have highlighted!!

D'oh. I miss having Titanium Backup and nandroid. :-/