Droid 3 Recovery

Cdjones187

Reaction score
Found that like the OG droid you can boot to system recovery by powering off the phone and pressing x and the power at the same time.

It will bring you to the all to familiar triangle and "!" screen. From there swype your finger down over the volume rocker to unlock the menu.

Not sure if this is already known, or how hard it would of been to figure it out. But here it is!

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Raptor007

Reaction score
Does anyone have any connections to Team Black Hat, I know in the past they seemed to get access to the SBF files and that would likely be a big start.

Johnnyb

Reaction score
Yeah, me and 7K other's are following him on Twitter...but that's as close as I get... :-(

Johnnyb

Reaction score
Absolutely, it IS fantastic. It's very responsive and comfortable to type on.

Johnnyb

Reaction score
I may eat my words eventually, but I actually like the new blur...I think it might be moving in the right direction. Several of the games that came pre-loaded it's letting me uninstall, which a appreciate.

OP
Cdjones187

Cdjones187

Reaction score
That keyboard looks fantastic.

It is AMAZING! By far the best physical keyboard out to date.

I may eat my words eventually, but I actually like the new blur...I think it might be moving in the right direction. Several of the games that came pre-loaded it's letting me uninstall, which a appreciate.

+1 to that. I actaully liked some blur features on my DX, and they seem to have kept those and made them even better. Usually the first thing i do is replace the launcher but I havent even thought about it yet. VERY fast and responsive, smooth scrolling, videos and web pages load faster, FLASH runs like its intended to without lag/fps drops.

The screen is pretty amazing also. My d1 screen was better than my DX (which i thought was terrible) and this "pentile" screen blows both away, even better than the D/Inc's AMOLED screen. Very little pixelation present, images are sharp and text is very easy to read. And in sunlight, WOW, I have never had a screen be so readable and detailed while under direct sunlight.

The front facing camera was actually a lot better than I expected and the 8mp rear camera takes better photos than my 12mp dedicated camera. The 1080p HD video capture is also a lot more impressive than I though it would be. Frame rates are pretty good for a PHONE and the image quality is well, 1080p!

Ram is NOT an issue, the android task manager does its job. usually around 50-80 mb free ram. And as far as android is concerned, the less free ram the better.

16gb internal high speed storage is also nice (2gb for apps, but you think you even really need that much? That's like 500+ apps!) I dont use the 16gb card I put in the D3, but the SD card IS hot swap-able, so no more taking the battery out to get to the SD card!

OVERALL: A very well built and well thought out device with superb hardware and packed with features, very fast, blur is actually "nice".

I didnt mention the "bloat-ware" that VZW has put on the phone. Yes, you can uninstall some of it just not the vcast apps. Which when running only use 1-2mb of ram. So thats a whole whopping 10-15mb used for only a minute or 2. ( YOU CANT EVEN TELL THE SERVICES ARE RUNNING.....) Something I never got about people complaining about the bloat, it actually doesnt take any cpu if it wasnt started by you, just 1 out 512mb of ram per app.. And storage shouldnt be an issue either, the droid 1 was the only phone I had to move apps to sd (100+apps on 256mb storage), otherwise its pointless and makes your phone slower.

Edit: I have 12 days to return the D3, the factors for me to keep this is if nothing better comes out in that time. Root would also make me lean a little more towards keeping this device. ATM I'm still wanting the Galaxy S2 (which may never come due to competition) or the Bionic if it can back its followers.

Last edited:

psouza4

Reaction score
the SD card IS hot swap-able, so no more taking the battery out to get to the SD card!
You sure about this? I have to on mine. I have to snap off the back cover which is much harder on the Droid 3 than other phones (such as my DX2 or OG Droid) and then to slide out the microSD card, the top edge of the battery is in the way, so you have to remove it to get that card. Am I missing something?

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
the SD card IS hot swap-able, so no more taking the battery out to get to the SD card!
You sure about this? I have to on mine. I have to snap off the back cover which is much harder on the Droid 3 than other phones (such as my DX2 or OG Droid) and then to slide out the microSD card, the top edge of the battery is in the way, so you have to remove it to get that card. Am I missing something?

Weird, mine I can also take out no problem without having to remove the battery.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Fr33dom

Reaction score

Weird, mine I can also take out no problem without having to remove the battery.

That seems a little suspicious at first blush. The SD card seems to sit in a little depression that is about 3/8" above the battery. That depression is about a 16th of in inch taller than the card. So for that statement to be true, you'd have to be using a card that would sit in the receiver at an angle and that almost certainly would clear the extended battery by virtue of the fact that it is already at an angle. Do they even make larger cards?

The SIM card on the other hand would require you remove the extended battery. Even the regular battery gets in the way a bit and it would probably be advisable to remove it first.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I think the new droid is a great device for people who would never care about rooting. I have been bad about looking at a device from the rooted glasses and if it was locked I thought it to be a subpar phone. But their are people who want that user experience and dont care if they can unlock bootloaders or root. Will the d3 be for people me, no because I want root but those that dont care should love it.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Fr33dom

Reaction score
I think the new droid is a great device for people who would never care about rooting. I have been bad about looking at a device from the rooted glasses and if it was locked I thought it to be a subpar phone. But their are people who want that user experience and dont care if they can unlock bootloaders or root. Will the d3 be for people me, no because I want root but those that dont care should love it.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Agree, coming off of Prime Elite on my OG, I was going to hold for a root friendly phone. Ultimately I decided to go with the d3 because I never found a ROM that was as stable as the original and I have faith that we'll get root eventually. The root itch gets to me from time to time, but I can wait. I do want to tether on odd occasions, it certainly isn't worth $20 a month. And the bloat that I don't end up finding useful should go--eventually. So when it comes, I'll be on board. I'm good until then.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

That seems a little suspicious at first blush. The SD card seems to sit in a little depression that is about 3/8" above the battery. That depression is about a 16th of in inch taller than the card. So for that statement to be true, you'd have to be using a card that would sit in the receiver at an angle and that almost certainly would clear the extended battery by virtue of the fact that it is already at an angle. Do they even make larger cards?

The SIM card on the other hand would require you remove the extended battery. Even the regular battery gets in the way a bit and it would probably be advisable to remove it first.
The SD Card? It's in a different location then the battery. All you do is slide it out, then flip the phone over and it comes out. Otherwise.. yeah, I guess you can't just normally pull it out, you do need to tilt it some(unless you got some good nails). The Sim Card comes right out as well(normal batter) but it bends a bit.

Edit - Also, my OG Droid was rooted.. but at the same time, I never fully grasped the difference between unlocked bootloaders vs root?