Droid 3 Quick Contact Widget on D2G?

natecorbitt

Reaction score
Is it possible to get the Droid 3 quick contact widget on the D2G? I was hoping this was the new standard Quick Contact widget on Gingerbread. Alas, it is not. Does anyone know if it is possible to get the widget on it's own?

leobg

Reaction score
I can waste some time trying, but I am pretty sure it will not work. Quick contact widget depends on the new 3D launcher they put on the Droid 3. I personally don't like it as it is resource hog. If you want similar functionality to Quick Contacts widget on your Droid 2 Global (or any other Android phone) - try MeContacts from market (free).

OP
natecorbitt

natecorbitt

Reaction score
I had tried MeContacts before. I didn't like that it took up the whole screen (unless there was a setting I was missing). I like that the Droid 3 has one line of contacts that opens up into several more. I could get a lot of business contacts on there by using multiple lines of widgets.

leobg

Reaction score
MeContacts has a widget, which is acting in a very similar way to quick contacts widget from D3. It is a 1x4 widget with 5 customizable buttons. One can bring the full screen grid, the remaining 4 can be assigned wither to frequent called contacts or specific contacts.

Sent from my XT860 using Tapatalk

celtic11

Reaction score
I can waste some time trying, but I am pretty sure it will not work. Quick contact widget depends on the new 3D launcher they put on the Droid 3. I personally don't like it as it is resource hog. If you want similar functionality to Quick Contacts widget on your Droid 2 Global (or any other Android phone) - try MeContacts from market (free).

Sorry for the noob question but what do you mean its a resource hog?

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

leobg

Reaction score
I mean it consumes a lot of system resources - memory and processor. Since RAM is on the scarce side being only 512MB, things tend to start slowing down as Android needs to free up memory more often than necessary. Those screen redraws people experience frequently are result of launcher reloading all the time.
3D effects are eye candy, but the cost to pay is reduced battery life.

Sent from my XT860 using Tapatalk