Droid 3 Powers Up to AP Flashboot Boot Failure - Stock Recovery not working

BigMack73

Reaction score
Droid 3 is an never rooted work phone from my company corp account, started rebooted on its own several times a day in Jan/Feb, tried a Factory Hard Reset from the phone, then a week or so later tried a Recovery Reset using the Power + X into Recovery (Android with !) but the Droid 3 kept rebooting. Phone has some of the other Droid 3 quirks, Camera takes one or two photos then exits back to home screen, etc. Usually a battery pull would resolve any lockups. Then in late Feb it rebooted and came up to:

AP Flashboot Flash Mode (S) (Boot Failure)
0A.64

Battery OK
OK to Program
Connect USB
Data Cable

Invalid CG OTV (CG: system): Invalid SP Data
Invalid CG HAB (CG: system, status: 0X0035)
Invalid CG OTV (CG: system)

My son has had multiple Droids which he roots, and does all sorts of mods to and he said this was a programming mode. Took it to a Verizon store, they said it was broken (of course...) and said I would have to buy new phone, blah blah, but it had a corrupted file system but they could not load it without voiding the non-existent warranty (imagine my chagrin??). I got on Forums and with a tip or two from my son, learned about flashing files to the D3, and eventually using rsdLite was able to load a (I think) stock D3 file system from here: Droid-Developers SBF
which should have been the Verizon 5.7.906 file system that it was up to prior to the problems.

This zip/XML file runs through completely without any errors seeming to load the system, recovery, preinstall, etc files to the phone in rsdLite, but when the D3 reboots the same message above come back. I can use the Power plus the +/- keys (Or Power + M) to bring up the Boot Mode Selection menu (0A.64), and the phone seems to take flash files OK, but, I cannot select Recovery and get back to the Android/! screen to hard reset the phone.

Power plus the X key goes straight to the above AP Flashboot error screen.

All I want to do is get my work cell back to factory state with hopefully non-corrupted files in the system. My son lent me his old first original Droid to get by with, but I would like to get back to the Droid 3 if I could repair it myself. I was hopeful when it seems to take the files via a Flash/rsdLite action but looking at the Forums it looks like my bootstrap or recovery parts of the cell file system are still corrupted or damaged?

Any ideas??

Thanks

doogald

Reaction score
That was the right SBF file - I flashed it myself a few weeks ago and my phone is working fine. It sounds like a hardware problem, I'm sorry to say. If the SBF didn't work, I can't think of anything that will.

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
sounds like hardware failure, but if you want to try
Official .906 1_click sbf .exe [03-28-2013]
may work, it uses moto-fastboot.exe, instead of rsd lite
if that fails you can try
.906 1-click-sbf.exe + tools [06-01-2012]
it flashes parts of 906 and 890 with moto-fastboot.exe

edit: if battery gets too low, you can not flash, and phone may not charge in that state
if battery gets too low, you will need a Motorola Programing Adaptor by Team Black Hat
or
Battery Desktop Charger for Motorola Droid 3 XT862

Last edited:
OP
BigMack73

BigMack73

Reaction score

edit: if battery gets too low, you can not flash, and phone may not charge in that state
if battery gets too low, you will need a Motorola Programing Adaptor by Team Black Hat
or

I am traveling this weekend with the wife, accidentally left the broken D3 at home, now I am in a hotel room bored and wish I could try these!!

I am downloading these two SBF DLs, and will try them when I get home next Monday and see if they help.

Thanks for the new ideas, I will let you know what happens. I have a plug-in battery charger and a brand new XT862 battery so I always start with a freshly charged battery from the charger. I did try DLing files from the .906 SBF above 6-7 straight times once after thinking that maybe 3rd or 4th time was not the charm and tried it so many times on the 7th or 8th try the phone came up and said the Battery was low... (I will try anything new at this point, I am suspecting that the D3 really has broken or failing issues in the hardware in a critical memory location)
I did find a posting on XDA Developers Forum where a gentleman had a D3 with the exact same messages on his boot up screen and posted a request if he remembered what resolved (or did NOT resolve) his problem. His sounds like the exact same issue mine has. If he said his was hardware failure toast then I will give up the game and throw the D3 away!

My company may be ugrading their corporate account in July 2013 and moving everyone in the company to the same Android smartphones so I may be saved in a few months, and all I have to do is suffer with the old original Droid I am using for a few more months anyways. It works for most things, but I really miss my 3G WiFi Hotspot capability. It will Tether, but barely.

Thanks for suggestions, will try and report back next week.

Gary 'BigMack'
confused in Florida but hopeful.

OP
BigMack73

BigMack73

Reaction score

or

Thanks for your help! I finally got time to try all the suggestions and none worked for my Droid 3. I was able to borrow a Droid 3 from a friend for one afternoon and I tried several of the exact same SBF loads and they ALL worked fine on the other used Droid 3. Apparently it was indeed some sort of hardware failure in the low memory of some sort.

In the last month I have been given a list of new phones to select from for my company's upgrade which includes the Droid 4, Samsung Galaxy's, and a few others so I guess now this repair process has become moot.

I really appreciate the suggestions and wanted to write a reply so you would know what happened. This summer has been busy for me with lightning strikes and storms to many of my customer's towers and sites so it took me a while to reply with the final results.

Thanks!!