Droid 3 or Thunderbolt?

Klaista2k

Reaction score
I wanna get one of these two devices and can't decide!

I'm coming from the original Droid.

Which one do you think is the better overall device to go with?

I was set on the Thunderbolt but I'm a little worried about going to phone with no keyboard...

Thoughts/Suggestions?

Reaction score
I came from the D1 and was also concerned about the lack of keyboard bbecause of my big thumbs however the thunderbolt worked out perfectly in the landscape or portrait mode keyboards, I'd recommended the thunderbolt personally, 4G and lots of Dev support plus the only thing the D3 has over the TB is the keyboard and a dual core processor. Definitely not worth I don't think but honestly I really think you should wait for the HTC Vigor. Its a completely updated TB with a 1.5Ghz dual core processor along with 1GB of RAM, an HD 720x1280 display, 4G and Sense 3.5 with some gingerbread love. Trust me, you'll want to wait for this device. The Drop date- as leaked on a Verizon road map is October 6th, a little more than a month away.

sent from a 1.5ghz-Cyanogen 'Bolt
[ROM] CM7 RC 1.6.1
[Kernel] Protekk 2.6.35.14
Waiting for the Vigor...

travisn000

Reaction score
The Thunderbolt also allows for simultaneous voice and data... it is the only phone on verizon that can do this. I was considering it for this reason alone (..although I prefer hardware keys on verizon's samsung LTE competitor).

Does anyone know if any of the new dual core LTE phones scheduled to come to Verizon over the next month or two will have this feature?

Last edited:
Reaction score
The Thunderbolt also allows for simultaneous voice and data... it is the only phone on verizon that can do this. I was considering it for this reason alone (..although I prefer hardware keys on verizon's samsung LTE competitor).

Does anyone know if any of the new dual core LTE phones scheduled to come to Verizon over the next month or two will have this feature?

The vigor should since it is the successor of the TB:)

sent from a 1.5ghz-Cyanogen 'Bolt
[ROM] CM7 RC 1.6.1
[Kernel] Protekk 2.6.35.14
Waiting for the Vigor...

cmurphy81

Reaction score
All verizon 4g phones talk and surf at the same time while in 4g but the thunderbolt can do it in 3g as well. I have had both the droid 3 and the thunderbolt. Both are good but i prefer the thunderbolt. Its alot nicer and more stable.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

dAi

Reaction score
Droid 3!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

BIslander

Reaction score
I've had a bolt since it launched. My wife wanted a keyboard, so she got a D3. But, it was laggy, especially the back button, which often had to be pressed multiple times. She swapped it out for a TB and is happy with the change. Better screen, more responsive, 4G, and the lack of a real keyboard isn't that big a deal. The D3 camera was also a little blue.

Last edited:

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Thunderbolt FTW! :)

This thread has been Thunder struck!!

badmeat

Reaction score
Any Verizon 3G phone that runs on eHRPD instead of CDMA will talk/surf at the same time.

It's the original CDMA 3G that was unable to do so.

turdbogls

Reaction score
have you played with both phones in the store...checked them out? done some tasks you would normally do?
its all preference.

i have the thunderbolt, it is fast, smooth, has pretty good battery life (i go 12 hrs easily with what i would consider heavy data usage and light phone usage)
has great signal strength ect. i really cannot complain about this phone.
the battery was a big complaint for most, but OEM batteries can be bought for about $10 now....buy one and swap it in when needed.

when i played with my buddies D3 i was seriously disappointed. Blur really kills the phone. felt sluggish changing screens (even without live wallpaper) slow to open up apps (slower than my TB at stock speeds) signal was just about even, data speeds....duh.
screen on the D3 is terrible IMO. everything looks washed out BIG time next to my TB. even though the D3 has the resolution advantage, it looks like crap IMO b/c of the screen technology (search pentile matrix) greens were especially bad (very pixelated looking) anything that wasn't vertical or horizontal was kinda jagged, fast moving objects had a shadowing effect...just a bad decision by moto to use that screen. the hardware is very nice though. i LOVE the look and feel of the phone. very solid, love the keyboard and would probably use it if i wasn't completely satisfied with virtual keyboards now.

all in all, its a decent phone. i would still take my original Droid X over the D3 or DX2 any day...not sure what it was, but the DX feels faster than both, and you dont have to deal with that terrible screen. but the Thunderbolt is leaps and bounds above any other phone on verizon right now....thats just IMO

Crazed_Z06

Reaction score
I wanna get one of these two devices and can't decide!

I'm coming from the original Droid.

Which one do you think is the better overall device to go with?

I was set on the Thunderbolt but I'm a little worried about going to phone with no keyboard...

Thoughts/Suggestions?

Neither. Want for the Droid Bionic which is getting very close to release.. should be here early next month..

turdbogls

Reaction score
Neither. Want for the Droid Bionic which is getting very close to release.. should be here early next month..
i hope i am wrong....i really do, but after playing with the D3 (same performance specs and probably same screen technology) i am calling the bionic a flop.
yeah it will be fast with 4G, but it still has Blur on it, which is such a terrible experience after using an HTC phone. i dont think i could go back to it. i liked the new blur on my DX, but after getting used to sense, i couldn't go back.

Rhino94

Reaction score
The thunderbolt is the way to go. I love the speed of the 4g and the speed of phone. Now if you can wait I would wait for the vigor. If not then the thunderbolt is still an amazing phone and it will still do everything you need it to do.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

simpsonao17

Reaction score
I am about to get the thunderbolt from a previous owner after checking the ESN of course. I have been deciding on that or the Charge and decided HTC was the better way to go bc i don't like Samsungs extremely bright screen. I am currently on a rooted Droid X. I will miss being rooted for the moment but I want 4G and a better phone.