Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wait for Oct's releases

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TyrantII

Reaction score
Please vote based on the needs below:

So, really need to decide. Amazons discount ends tomorrow, and I want to jump on the deal, but am unsure of which to get.

I currently have a rooted, overclocked OG Droid thats showing it's age.

The things I'm most concerned about is battery life, and screen size. The bionic might be just a tad too big, and I'm not sure how to take the conflicting reports on battery life. I use my OG Droid first as a phone, and second use it for mobile information; maps, web browser & camera while traveling. I really don't need a media device. I don't need a keyboard, but am not against it in the D3 since it's a smaller device that will fit in my pocket.

Battery life, build quality, speed / fluidness of the Android OS, smaller size are my most important factors.

So, what fits my needs the most in you opinions?

DarrellM5

Reaction score
I'm hanging onto my OG Droid for awhile longer. I think the Oct/Nov releases will really take things up a notch. My OG Droid is doing fine. It's rooted, overclocked and does everything I need it to do. There's no 4G in my area, but my next phone will have it since I travel to Reno and Vegas quite a bit. I also have my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 to play around with, so my phone has been seeing a lot less use.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
battery life: D3
size: Bionic is wider, but I believe it's a bit more slim than D3, and of course D3 has smaller screen.
speed/fluidness: Bionic, but the D3 is no slouch, it's quite snappy itself.

Judging by your needs, I'd go with the D3.

OP
T

TyrantII

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm loving the Bionic and just checked it out in store, but the size is a real deal killer to me. If I need a tablet, I'll grab one.

But I love everything else. 1GB RAM is really, really nice. Seeing 350Mb in task killer, even when running tons of crap thrown on by the store / patrons was crazy. In store it seemed much snappier than the D3. Is that because the D3 was probably loaded down with crap? Did the D3 update help matters?

I'll be rooting and even overclocking eventually. Think we'll get the same long term performance as I did with my OG Droid?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Yeah, I'm loving the Bionic and just checked it out in store, but the size is a real deal killer to me. If I need a tablet, I'll grab one.

But I love everything else. 1GB RAM is really, really nice. Seeing 350Mb in task killer, even when running tons of crap thrown on by the store / patrons was crazy. In store it seemed much snappier than the D3. Is that because the D3 was probably loaded down with crap? Did the D3 update help matters?

I'll be rooting and even overclocking eventually. Think we'll get the same long term performance as I did with my OG Droid?

the bionic is a snappier device than the d3 in general, due to its hardware.

not aware of any d3 update, but it's a pretty snappy phone itself, imo.

as for long term use, any phone with the proper care will last as long as your og droid did, if anything, maybe even longer.

OP
T

TyrantII

Reaction score
Ended up going with the D3 in the end.

The size was ultimately a deal killer for the Bionic. The D3 is close to being to big too, but I'm doubting many phones will be as compact as the OG going forward. I was blown away with how light the Bionic was. Little worried about the 512Mb of the D3, but I figure when custom ROM's hit and a dualcore CPU overclocker, it won't be much difference than a stock Bionic. It's heavier, but feels better built IMO (even if they're the same), and I couldn't notice the digitizer tech in the glass, like I noticed in the Bionic. Technically the resolution is better.

Anyways, thanks for you help. 181 days, and i could upgrade anyways. Figured 4G LTE might be better rolled out by then, and battery life will only improve with it's radios new iterations.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Glad to hear you made a choice, hopefully you enjoy the phone, it's a great phone.

Yeah I am disappointed that smaller phones are now only 4" now. I think 3.7" is the best size for a phone, but 4" is pushing it. I mean the screens are easier to see, but I don't plan on watching a movie on my phone...

donerico

Reaction score
These phones are really close in specs, except for LTE and memory. So it comes down to size vs. keyboard. That being said, the Bionic is a lot more expensive than the D3. I got 2 D3's for $149 and I am very happy with my decision.

huskur

Reaction score
I would prefer the Bionic. I have no issues with the size. Wish it was 5" in screen size like the Dell Streak. I like the ability to use it as a "small tablet". I have the X right now but the Bionic is on my horizon.

Not to mention that it is 4G unlike the D3. If for some reason you decide to travel or maybe even move you would at least be able to use the service to its capabilities. Even though i live in a 3G area i wouldn't get a 3G phone. No sense in it to me. What if 4G came in 3 months? Needless to say.....i would be pissed if i had just upgraded and it was only a 3G phone and i had to wait a year or so to upgrade.