Droid 3 Now Available In Stores

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Droid3.jpg

The Droid 3 has seen its share of rumors, including some from us, well today it became available for purchase at any VZW store. The dual core NVidia powered phone is now available for $199.99 with a two year contract or a no strings attached price of $459. Now this is a great device, except the fact that it’s still running on Verizon’s old CDMA network, making it an outdated-at-launch device. This device is even less attractive when you think of the impending launch of the Droid Bionic in a few weeks.

Who here is excited to get themselves on of these new Droids today?

Via: Engadget

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
Motorola had a contest going on for a week where they gave away five Droid 3 phones! I didn't win :( Is there any chance DroidForums might be able to have a similar contest and offer Droid 3 phones as the prize? :unsure: I really want to win one because I'm so broke right now I can't afford dirt... not that I'd want to buy dirt... but... anyway :icon_rolleyes: :icon_ goofy:

compywiz

Reaction score
Everyone seems to say this phone will do poorly, but if you require a physical keyboard there is no other option. I upgraded from the Droid 1 like many others recently and this is the best upgrade path. I know this is my primary reason for getting phone. The 4" screen, dual core processor, HDMI output, 8MP + 1080p video, DDR2 ram, etc are great upgrades for another successor in the Droid lineup. To top it off, my area won't get 4G in the next two years anyway.

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Motorola had a contest going on for a week where they gave away five Droid 3 phones! I didn't win :( Is there any chance DroidForums might be able to have a similar contest and offer Droid 3 phones as the prize? :unsure: I really want to win one because I'm so broke right now I can't afford dirt... not that I'd want to buy dirt... but... anyway :icon_rolleyes: :icon_ goofy:
like if this forum can afford to give out $500 dollar devices lol

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Probably really, really naive of me to hope that if the Canadian version is 4G, they'll update the US model mid-production with a 4G chip. I'm not trading in until December, so I can keep my fingers crossed. So STUPID that my little nowhere town is getting 4G soon...whod'a thunk.

-Matt

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Probably really, really naive of me to hope that if the Canadian version is 4G, they'll update the US model mid-production with a 4G chip. I'm not trading in until December, so I can keep my fingers crossed. So STUPID that my little nowhere town is getting 4G soon...whod'a thunk.

-Matt

The 4G on the Canadian version is the 4G that AT&T and T-Mobile are currently pushing, which is really just an extension of 3G. It requires no redesigns to the basic hardware of the phone. LTE for Verizon on the other hand would require a fair amount of shuffling around, including a thicker body for the radio. Verizon did release the Droid 2 Global just a few months after the Droid 2, so such a move isn't unprecedented for them. The phone would probably be thicker though.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel

-Matt

The 4G on the Canadian version is the 4G that AT&T and T-Mobile are currently pushing, which is really just an extension of 3G. It requires no redesigns to the basic hardware of the phone. LTE for Verizon on the other hand would require a fair amount of shuffling around, including a thicker body for the radio. Verizon did release the Droid 2 Global just a few months after the Droid 2, so such a move isn't unprecedented for them. The phone would probably be thicker though.
My first reaction as I read your reply was "Why are you squashing my dream?" But then I saw the glimmer of hope. :) Thanks (and I learned something interesting about the D3 too).

-Matt

silverfang77

Reaction score
It would be funny if VZW came out with an LTE Droid 3, say in December of this year. I might be better off waiting till then to see if they do instead of running out and buying the D3 right now.

NoBloatware

Reaction score
an outdated-at-launch device. This device is even less attractive when you think of the impending launch of the Droid Bionic in a few weeks.

The last time WenWM mentioned the Droid 3 he said it was based on last year's technology. I consider LTE to be next year's technology at best. It would be nice to have that hardware now but:
1) the antenna might be so big as to make the phone bulky
2) I'd probably have the 4G off all of the time because LTE burn battery like mad

In addition, the Bionic doesn't have a physical keyboard and apparently much of it's extra RAM is just to make it work with webtop.

So, no, this device is not outdated-at-launch. And it is not less attractive. All IMHO.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
an outdated-at-launch device. This device is even less attractive when you think of the impending launch of the Droid Bionic in a few weeks.

The last time WenWM mentioned the Droid 3 he said it was based on last year's technology. I consider LTE to be next year's technology at best. It would be nice to have that hardware now but:
2) I'd probably have the 4G off all of the time because LTE burn battery like mad

In addition, the Bionic doesn't have a physical keyboard and apparently much of it's extra RAM is just to make it work with webtop.

So, no, this device is not outdated-at-launch. And it is not less attractive. All IMHO.

Agreed. The only things anyone could really claim are outdated about the Droid 3 are the lack of LTE (which some people don't see as being outdated) and the 512mb of RAM (even though the thing is silky smooth). Everything else is current and top notch.

rushmore

Reaction score
Until the second generation of LTE chips ships that are more power efficient (not to mention 4G roaming and more areas covered), I am completely happy with the Droid 3.

Great device that would be battery challenged with the current LTE radios.

rushmore

Reaction score

Seems Wen was wrong, since has a 4430 chipest and not a Tegra 2.

NoBloatware

Reaction score
lack of LTE (which some people don't see as being outdated) and the 512mb of RAM (even though the thing is silky smooth). Everything else is current and top notch.

Yeah, LTE is...next year.

512MB or RAM!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!???

Desktop Windows runs on that. The phone is so capable on that amount of RAM. Next year, with new high end games maybe not so much.

Bottom line is they make a phone:
-ready for an upgrade in about a year
-cheap to manufacture
-capable

In addition, this phone is respectable and current.

They'll soon f up the home launcher (ala original Moto Droid) or otherwise cause a bloatware onslaught to make the Droid 3 bog down. Capitalism: buyer beware.

darkmatter

Reaction score
anyone not getting this phone because of ram is missing out on a great phone. sure its 512, but its ddr2. People have thrown everything they can at the D3 to bog it down, and it just keeps trucking like a boss.