Droid 3 Kicks butt, but the stock ROM sucks.

artic_acid

Reaction score
Coming from a Droid 1, the Droid 3 hardware wise is amazing. The camera, ehh, could be better like the DX2.

This effing rom sucks though, all the bloatware just kills this fone and consumes the battery. The built in task manager sucks, try the good ole advanced task killer and see how much bs is really running.

This kills me becuase i think this fone really is an iphone killer, and finally is capable of delivering that iphone smoothness.

This is going to be a whole nother kind of fone once the rooted roms start showing up. Until then i suggest the Advanced task killer and set the auto kill to the highest level possible that works for you. I set up the auto end under the built in task manager but not really convinced it works so far.

Props to motorola for building the fone we wanted, but verizon bastardized it.

OP
A

artic_acid

Reaction score
Yeah, I heard that too. But then I tried it, and you see something completely different.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

NoBloatware

Reaction score
Yeah, that is one of the worst things you can do for your battery life--auto kill tasks at highest level? No.

Download a different camera app from the market and you'll find that the camera works great according to some.

I don't think that the bloatware is killing the battery, I think that auto-killing the bloatware is killing the battery. Just a thought. I still hate bloatware.

If auto-killing actually does improve your battery life, I would bet it's because you have at least one crap app that you've downloaded from the market that is a battery hog and auto-killing it is actually helping. The "right" thing to do is get rid of that crap app.

OP
A

artic_acid

Reaction score
I'm not exactly a newbie at this. It's easy to blame it on the user downloading a crap app. The apps that keep continually running are all built in, and are all apps that i do not use. The social networking app, City ID, Cirtrix, Gmail, etc, and again all apps i do not use. Now granted all of these are small applications, but collectively they're taking anywhere from 50-75 Mb of ram. These also eat cpu cycles, which add up, esp when considering the nature of these apps, i assume they query for something @ a certain time interval. I moved to task killer looking to improve battery life that was already bad, and it is working. Right now i have it set to aggressively kill when i shut the screen off. My standby time has doubled. I didn't just jump right into it, i used the fone for a few days on its own, and wasn't satisfied.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
What you don't understand is auto-killing all tasks is working AGAINST the native Android task killer which kills tasks on its own. While killing the bloat apps, your also killing key services within the software that the OS is going to be forced to reopen...thus draining your battery.

OP
A

artic_acid

Reaction score
So skype and social networking are tied to key services? Im thinking not.

Yes you have to watch what you killing. Task killer for froyo and up now highlights services. And I don't think it works against the built in taskmanager, more in addition too.

Should it be this way no. Regardless, what im saying is this is working for me and making the stock rom more livable for me. More importantly my battery life has increased substantially.

But I guess that doesn't matter as its seems to be more important to everyone why this shouldn't be working in android version x.x.x and that the underlying linux kernel processes request this way blah blah blah.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums