Droid 3 - Irresponsible Flash; Probably Bricked to Some Degree

myleskeller

Reaction score
i've been running MavRom 4.5 for several months now. Prior to that, Eclipse, Liberty, and firstly stockrom.
anyway, i finally got fed up with the front camera not working (not that i expected KEXEC to remedy that) and the lock screen freezing, so i decided to go for something new.
i read that KEXEC JellyBean CM10.1 had a nightly build that finally fixed the sound issues, and downloaded it immediately.

i understand there are specific procedures to flashing for each rom, but when i didn't see any on the official page i just flashed it with cwm recovery as i did all prior roms. to be honest, i was in a hurry, and overly confident i could recover from whatever errors i would create in my impatience.
what i did:
1) titanium backup all apps and settings to external sd
2) reboot into cwm recovery via droid 3 bootloader (did NOT use safestrap)
3) factory reset/wipe cache/wipe dalvik cache -all twice
4) installed rom's .zip file, which just had a loading bar; no neat ASCII art like liberty or maverick
5) considered installing gapps, but decided to do it later since it didn't specify to do it immediately in rom page
6) rebooted
7) realized after 10 minutes my phone was not going to pass "dual core technology" screen

annnddddd, here i am.

so, all i think i know, now seeing i should have had .906 to begin with, is that Mav was based on 5.7.905 from the change logs.
what unbrick method should i use? the .890 or the .906?
or have i entered an even darker realm of screw-ups, not yet traversed by modern man?

alowbman

Reaction score
If you weren't already on the official .906 then use the .890 SBF. That should get you back to stock. Update to .906 and then reroot with motofail. Then install safestrap 3.05. CM 10 needs to go in slot 1 in safestrap if you want tot try it. I am running minimoto and flip back to mav 4.0 on occasion for style!

OP
M

myleskeller

Reaction score
well, i can't seem to find the required "Flash+Verizon+DROID+3+OTA+5.6.890+to+phone_psouza4.zip" anywhere. skydrive and mediafire were removed and minus.com dns errors out.
does anybody have it?

furthermore, i got rsd lite 5.5 and a stock .890 .zip, but it won't recognize in "device properties" that i've got the phone in ap fastboot and plugged in.

also, tried using the .906-to-.890 one click. got the "all transfers complete!" message, but still same reaction from device.
even tried updating that to actual .906 via regular recovery's "install update from sdcard" prompt. that sent me into the droid-guy-with-caution-triangle boot loop.
factory restored/wiped cache, and i'm back where i started.

alowbman

Reaction score
YOU MUST BE ON .906 OTA TO USE THIS
**If you are on .890 ota please download and use this file>>D3.SBF.890.ZIP (flash via rsdlite)**]

Sorry, I don't know how to post links but did you try to download this? Its from DROID 3 Roms subforum by Overlayer.

When you are stuck with DROID guy and! Are you then pressing volume up and down at the same time?

OP
M

myleskeller

Reaction score
yeah, i've already downloaded that one.
i just can't get rsd lite to recognize my droid as being plugged in properly.

and, no. while it was looping with the caution triangle after i tried unsuccessfully updating .890 to .960 i couldn't get into system recovery (the result of pressing both vol buttons at the same time.)
when i x+power boot, which goes to the same thing, i can.

alowbman

Reaction score
Are you using stock Motorola usb cable? I had that issue when I sbf'd. I just grabbed an extra cable and used it. Didn't recognize my phone. Stock cable worked. Sorry if that's not your issue. Maybe we can get others to chime in.

OP
M

myleskeller

Reaction score
no. but i'm not exactly in a position to obtain another right now.

the cable i have is a samsung. i don't see why it should matter. they both have 4 wires and "motorola adb interface" shows up as a plugged in device.

EDIT:***********************************************************************************
i finally got it!
as a last ditch effort, i just started using the "update from sd card" function in recovery with every downloaded stock rom i had.
"Blur_Version.5.6.890.XT862.Verizon.en.US.zip" ended up being the one that worked.
i don't know if a mod would like to re title this thread to "solved" or something...

now, does anybody have SPECIFIC instructions on how to install the new KEXEC CM10.1 rom?

doogald

Reaction score
now, does anybody have SPECIFIC instructions on how to install the new KEXEC CM10.1 rom?

Yes.

It requires Hashcode's Safestrap 3.05, which you will find here: Safestrap | Hash-of-Codes There is a video in "how to Safestrap" on the site that should be enough to show you how to install and set up a ROM. Do NOT install Bootstrap/CWM Recovery - use Safestrap 3.05 instead.

You do need an external SD card. The 10.1 ROMs use the external SD card as the mount point for /sdcard. Also, your ROM slots are created in "external storage", which the is the normal mount point for /scard, so you'll be missing out on some space.

It requires that you create a ROM slot in SLOT 1 and install the ROM there. Of course flash the right Google apps after flashing the ROM before you restart the phone. I think most people having success with this ROM are creating the ROM slot from scratch, activating the slot, wiping data, and then also wiping system, before flashing the ROM and gapps. That may be more voodoo than anything, though.

Many people are having issues with the ROM bootlooping at the moment, and some with battery drain issues, I believe. Of course the cameras do not work at all, and Hashcode is not confident they ever will. I think it's nowhere near ready to be a daily driver. You may want to look at this thread, too, particularly the second post: [WIP][KERNEL][KEXEC] JB ROMS For Droid 3 [03/06: BT/SPEAKERPHONE FIX] - xda-developers

I greatly prefer the GB ROMs, and the best right now is Minimoto (which will also work in Safestrap 3.05, in any slot): [ROM - Stock-based] Minimoto v1.7 XT862/XT860- Less is more. - xda-developers

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
no. but i'm not exactly in a position to obtain another right now.

the cable i have is a samsung. i don't see why it should matter. they both have 4 wires and "motorola adb interface" shows up as a plugged in device.
even if pc can detect device, you can have errors in transfers

EDIT:***********************************************************************************
i finally got it!
as a last ditch effort, i just started using the "update from sd card" function in recovery with every downloaded stock rom i had.
"Blur_Version.5.6.890.XT862.Verizon.en.US.zip" ended up being the one that worked.
i don't know if a mod would like to re title this thread to "solved" or something...
not sure how that's a last ditch effort, that's how you install update.zips
motorola names it's updates for the software it is replacing, so if you are trying to update 890, you need the 890 update.zip
see links doogald posted,
also may want to watch
[HOW-TO-VIDEOS] Motorola Droid 3 by Tomsgt123

doogald

Reaction score
Over on the xda-developers thread that I linked above, Hashcode posted the other day that some significant changes were made to the kernel that will make future updates better. It may be worth waiting a few days to see how it shakes out before going too crazy with any of the kexec kernel ROMs.