Droid 3 frozen in "manual" sleep mode

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 3' started by ssj11mav, Sep 16, 2011.

1. ssj11mav

ssj11mav New Member

Sooo I just bought my brand new shiny Motorola Droid 3 from Verizon. Yaaay. However, I found a very odd bug.

When you click the power button, it goes in and out of sleep mode fine... HOWEVER if you hold the button, let the dialogue pop up, and manually choose "Sleep mode" it turns off.... and won't turn back on! It's the strangest thing ever! I tried all the buttons, that didn't help. The only way to fix it was to either remove the battery or plug it in.

Any suggestions/Similar cases of this?
  2. Jerminator617

Jerminator617 New Member

Clicking the power button doesn't put it in sleep mode, it just locks the screen. And if you hold the power button and put it in sleep mode all you have to do is hold the power button to wake it back up. Simple as that.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums
  3. new2droid3

new2droid3 New Member

Frozen or turned off?

I think I had the same thing happen to me as happened to ssj11mav, although it was several weeks ago that it happened and I don't remember the exact sequence of events. At any rate, my Droid3 turned off and would not turn on again until I took the battery out. I was outside, so couldn't try plugging it in.
  4. tfrohliger

tfrohliger New Member

I have issues with sleep mode too but mine has always came back on. My issue is it doesn't come out of airplane mode when waking it up from sleep mode. This seems to happen more the longer it is in sleep mode.
  5. 2_slow

2_slow New Member

I have the exact same problem and am on my second new Droid 3. Verizon tech. support doesn't seem to be aware of the problem and swears that the Droid 3's they have access to don't have this problem, but I'm not so sure. I have had multiple tech. reps. try to tell me that turning off the display with a short tap of the power button is "sleep mode", but I don't think so.

What's the consensus on this problem HW or SW that can be fixed with a future update? We're still in the 14 day satisfaction guarantee, and so far I'm not impressed with the Droid 3.
  6. yapster

yapster New Member

Sleep power option is a problem for me too....

The same issue: manually select sleep mode and it will not turn on until you take out the battery. I called Motorola
    Support and they suggested a hard restart of the phone. The problem still exists. I tried returning at my local Verizon
    Store, but they had no more in stock. Since I received this past Tuesday from my Corporate Office, I will be requesting a return on this phone. Obviously, I think that this will be widespread. I do know someone else who has the Droid 3 and he has no issues whatsoever. I also have problems with Bluetooth dropping off and reconnecting after a few seconds, another annoying problem. This happens on my car HandsFreeLink and on my Rocketfish earphone as well.
  7. spider210

spider210 Member

Sleep mode issue is fixed in the MR2 update. Release of update date currently not announced

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  8. yapster

yapster New Member

OK...

How do I get the update? Just update through the phone? Where did you get this info from?
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  9. 2_slow

2_slow New Member

Why do the Verizon and Motorola tech. people have Droid 3's that appparently do not have this problem if everyone is running the same version of Android (2.3.4)?
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  10. droiddread

droiddread New Member

I'm guessing that the tech support people don't really know what "sleep mode" is. I have the same problem -- won't wake up from sleep mode unless power is kicked -- and my best guess is that it's not specific to one device, it's in the OS & firmware. I'm sceptical about reports that some people don't have this problem.

If you have seen someone go through the steps to go into sleep mode (hold power button down a few seconds for menu, select sleep from menu), and then recover without problems, please report this. Thanks.
  11. spider210

spider210 Member

It's fixed in the next update. Chill. It's not like it's feature u always use...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  12. droiddread

droiddread New Member

that was an unnecessary comment

The useful part of this message (fixed in future update) you provided earlier. The rest of your message is redundant, and only makes you appear supercilious. "Chill" might be advice to give yourself.
  13. yapster

yapster New Member

I do know someone...

...who can do this without the phone getting totally powered down...maybe they haven't updated their software?
  14. yapster

yapster New Member

You are right, I can work around this issue without powering down that way, but I'm from the "old school" thinking-when you buy something new, it should just work and work correctly. I can wait for updates that will fix issues, but I want reassurance that they are coming, and hopefully soon.

So Spider, how did you know this was going to be in the next update? How soon before the update is available in your estimation? Do you know if they are including software updates for Handsfreelink as well, because that is another issue. My car's Bluetooth drops in and out of calls and won't recognize my phone book...
  15. jpblock82

jpblock82 New Member

What's everyones "software version" right now??? I'm at 5.6.890, and this problem remains. Sucky balls...

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums
  16. 2_slow

2_slow New Member

Ours says 5.6.890.XT862
  17. yapster

yapster New Member

Same version that you have. 5.6.890.
  18. fishacura

fishacura New Member

It is true that the problem doesn't happen to everyone. I have the issue and my wife doesnt (same phone, same version, same purchase date).

I have found a slight "workaround" for it.

When my phone is in sleep mode, the only way I can get it back on without removing the battery is to plug it into a wall outlet...for some reason that seems to bring it back to life.
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  19. fishacura

fishacura New Member

Not true for many of us....When put into sleep mode the phone will not wake up.
  20. Andreos

Andreos New Member

I have the system update and this just happened to me

I've had my Droid3 since mid-August and used the manually selected sleep mode a few times - no problem.

Then I got the system update last Friday September 30, and today when I used manual sleep mode, the phone wouldn't wake up. I had to remove the battery to get it working again. A last-ditch move on my part since I had previously not heard of nor experienced the problem.

My (sample of one) experience is that this problem was introduced on my phone by the system update! (Version 5.6.890.XT862.Verizon.en.US)
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
Search tags for this page
android sleep mode problems
droid 3 does not wake up
droid 3 frozen screen
droid 3 is frozen

droid 3 sleep mode

droid 3 sleep mode problems
droid 3 staying in sleep mode
droid 3 won't wake up from sleep mode
how do i get my droid out of sleep mode
how to turn on droid 3 from sleep mode