Droid 3 for $149.

jbinbi

Reaction score
shows as 199 on web for me to upgrade. any reason why some people are seeing 149?

warped1987

Reaction score
I got Verizon (again) in December, so I'm only 7 months in. But have been trying to find a way to get the D3 (or a new phone like it) at the 2 year contract price (or discounted price) forever now. I really don't want my D2G anymore, it's dead practically dead technology now. Wanted the D3 for it's FFC, 5th row keyboard, dual core, 4" display and all the things I wish my D2G had. There's gotta be a way I can toss this phone for something else.

otacon

Reaction score
I got Verizon (again) in December, so I'm only 7 months in. But have been trying to find a way to get the D3 (or a new phone like it) at the 2 year contract price (or discounted price) forever now. I really don't want my D2G anymore, it's dead practically dead technology now. Wanted the D3 for it's FFC, 5th row keyboard, dual core, 4" display and all the things I wish my D2G had. There's gotta be a way I can toss this phone for something else.

According to a friend that worked at Verizon a while back there are several factors that go into when you're offered a discount. Length of time you've been with them, how much business you give them and the most important according to him...never being late even with one payment. I've been with Verizon since November '09, have 2 voice lines, one data line and have never been late on a payment. I was offered a discount on all 3 lines 12 months before my 2 year contracts was up on each. I got the Droid 3 for $149 with no fees. If I had waited until 8/21 I could've got another $30 off with my loyalty discount. I don't think you're going to get any discount until you're at least 12 months into your contract.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You could always sell your Droid 2G on eBay, then use that money as the discounted price.

Ellectronico

Reaction score
Wish i would have seen this earlier. I purchased it online at verizon this morning for $169.99. i was eligible for an upgrade. 15 bucks for next day shipping and tax made it $220 :icon_cussing:

mysticalmalissa

Reaction score
I was originally charged $199. I called yesterday and told them I was upset that some people were getting the phone for $149. The woman was cool and gave me a $50 credit on next months bill. She also managed to find some other discounts, getting me the extended battery and a blue cover for $30 =)

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was originally charged $199. I called yesterday and told them I was upset that some people were getting the phone for $149. The woman was cool and gave me a $50 credit on next months bill. She also managed to find some other discounts, getting me the extended battery and a blue cover for $30 =)
Wow, nice deal! Good to know that there are good VZW reps out there, so many people complain about them.

AVNFAM

Reaction score
I just came from the Verizon store, they don't even have the D3 on display yet but it was 149.99 on contract.

Where is this? My local store has it for $250:eek:
Now that definitely doesn't sound right!

I thought so too and I asked them why when on the Verizon Website it's listed for $199. And their response was because in the price it includes them transferring your information over from the old phone as well as setting it up for u.

When speaking with Best Buy, they said they weren't gonna receive any in their stores but that I could order it off their website and they'd transfer the info, etc for free.

I'm curious to see if it's just that particular store or all stores in my area. I have half a mind to go to the VZ store inside the mall and see what they are selling theirs for.

spottedcatfish

Reaction score
Non-corporate retailers can set their own pricing on phones. The store I went to was going to charge me $270, but I pulled the "I can get it online, but I want to support local business" card and got them down to $220 including a screen protector I didn't really want, but whatev. The up-side is that depending on the store, premiums may be willing to cut you package deals on accessories (which, with the mark-ups, is where they actually make their money). So, if you're the bargaining type, it can work out for both you and the store.

jbinbi

Reaction score
I don't understand all the variance.

When I go online to upgrade my phone, it is 199.

I went into a vzw store yesterday to play with it (seems really good), and it is $199 on 2 yr contract. How can different stores have different prices? This is a nationwide rollout

AVNFAM

Reaction score
I don't understand all the variance.

When I go online to upgrade my phone, it is 199.

I went into a vzw store yesterday to play with it (seems really good), and it is $199 on 2 yr contract. How can different stores have different prices? This is a nationwide rollout

I called Verizon Customer Service and explained our situation and he said that the store we went to is an Authorized dealer not corporate so they can price their phones however they want. (Shrug)