Droid 3 car dock

trayson

Reaction score
thanks. I was able to get "Dock No-Op" to work to defeat the car dock home and it seems to be working okay. Thank goodness. That CDH is pretty worthless IMO.

oshigeru

Reaction score
Check out a program called "Dock Nothingness". It is one of several that do the same thing. It comes up as an option to run when docked and if selected does.... nothing. Thus defeating the docking auto program nuttiness.

Just got home with my D3 desk and car docks and it shows up on the list for both. For the desk dock you have to go into "Other" in the first picker but its there - along with the option to do it every time.

I also have (and love) Tasker. It doesn't automatically show up as an option in the dock autolaunch menu but once you create a condition that checks for docking state it does. I did a quick check to see if it recognizes the desk dock correctly and it does. I haven't checked the car dock but I would assume it does since the desk dock worked.

In other news, I can confirm a couple of bits about the audio with the car dock.

First, it is audio out only. If you use earbuds with a mic on them the mic doesn't work and you'll instead be using the ambient mic on the D3. I didn't check it with a call but voice input worked well enough.

Second, voice commands - which is otherwise pretty slick for an android device - does NOT play its audio prompts through the headphones. It seems to default to the speakerphone. My car isn't particularly quiet and my hearing is particularly bad... so this kinda kills voice commands for me. I was hoping that I could leave a headset plugged into the dock but it looks like I'll have to plug it into the D3 directly in order to hear the voice command prompts.

I dunno what kind of car dock you have, but I got mine straight from a corporate store and there is definitely no headphone jack on/in the dock.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

CLShade

Reaction score
I know - its odd. The headphone jack is on the USB cable that comes with the car dock. Bought at the Verizon store.

oshigeru

Reaction score
Just saw the cable. That's neat, though meh. Now I need to find a usb car charger that outputs more than 1A without causing wicked feedback. Plus, when you pull it out of the dock, Google Music doesn't pause like it does with the headphone jack. I might just use the separate plugs for the convenience.

Also, car dock manual says you can rotate your phone. My screen won't rotate. Wtf.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

silvasrt4

Reaction score
This Dock is by far worth the money! i just got it and can with out a boubt say this thing blows the D1 car dock out of the water. My biggest gripe with the D1 dock was tht i couldnt use a case if i wanted to use the car dock, so i never used a case. I was thrilled to see that this dock came with an insert that can be removed if you have a case on your phone. Further more the built in Micro USB male port to the bottom of the dock is great becasue there is no need to physically plug your charger into your phone. The sticker on the box says $40, but when the guy rang me up at verizon it was $30... i didnt say a word, paid the man and walked away.

dgoebel

Reaction score
Droid 3 dock ball size

Can anyone tell me what size the ball mount on the Droid 3 dock is? I have a dash mount (that old BBStorm cradle was mounted to).
Is the suction cup and pivot arm removable so that the cradle can just clip to a standard ball mount?

David

The_Rick_14

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what size the ball mount on the Droid 3 dock is? I have a dash mount (that old BBStorm cradle was mounted to).
Is the suction cup and pivot arm removable so that the cradle can just clip to a standard ball mount?

David

The cradle is separate from the suction cup/pivot arm. It gets connected to it with the ball mount and a screw on "bolt" that tightens it.

I'm not sure if there are different sizes of ball mounts. My guess it that it would work with your old mount. If it doesn't, you could always take it back.

dgoebel

Reaction score

David

The cradle is separate from the suction cup/pivot arm. It gets connected to it with the ball mount and a screw on "bolt" that tightens it.

Rick, Thanks, I am pretty familiar with the design, I just don't know the size of the ball, which is what I'm most interested in. Yes there are several different ball mount sizes. There are .56" and 1" ball mounts for smaller devices. (Check out RAM mounts and Proclip's).

So Still wondering, does anyone actually have one of the Motorola (Verizon) Droid 3 Car Dock and can you measure the size of the ball? I have the Proclip Center console mount, just want to preorder the appropiate ball adapter while I'm waiting on my Droid 3 Car Dock to come in.

Also, does the Motorola (Verizon) Droid 3 Car Dock allow sliding the screen up in landscape mode (as I've seen on earlier models).

Uncle700

Reaction score
Not where I can measure the ball, but mine fit the standard Garmin ball mount.

You could raise the display to get to the keyboard, but then it will not be lock into the mount.

The_Rick_14

Reaction score

David

Rick, Thanks, I am pretty familiar with the design, I just don't know the size of the ball, which is what I'm most interested in. Yes there are several different ball mount sizes. There are .56" and 1" ball mounts for smaller devices. (Check out RAM mounts and Proclip's).

So Still wondering, does anyone actually have one of the Motorola (Verizon) Droid 3 Car Dock and can you measure the size of the ball? I have the Proclip Center console mount, just want to preorder the appropiate ball adapter while I'm waiting on my Droid 3 Car Dock to come in.

Also, does the Motorola (Verizon) Droid 3 Car Dock allow sliding the screen up in landscape mode (as I've seen on earlier models).

When you say a 1'' ball mount, does that refer to the measured around like the circumference or across like the diameter? I'll measure mine for you and let you know the size.

To answer your other question, the phone will probably be somewhat secure without the spring-loaded top clip that holds the phone down in place. You would not be able to have that clip down and have the screen slid in the up position.

CLShade

Reaction score
.56" - Just measured mine. That's the diameter. Same size as the D1 dock, I recall reading here. It also fit in the socket of a generic car mount I bought ages ago so I'm assuming its the standard size.