DROID 3 BLUR-Less =)

TheCheeze

Reaction score
The Droid 3 is going to be Global-ready? this may stop me from getting the DInc2 if someone can confirm this with a report.

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
Even Black_man_x confirmed yesterday that it will come with Blur:

"And its not like moto gives a crap about u. droid3.. yea cld have been great but they wanna blur the lines. (See what I did there)"

Twitter
Called that one.

I cant believe anyone would buy a device with a locked boot loader if there are better devices to be had that are open.

Why limit ur choices for customization if u don't have to....

I won't buy another locked device if that means eventually going back to apple one day so be it (jail broken). But I hope there will always be at least a few open phones wish Verizon would get a nexus s.
Sure it sucks but other then kernal tweaks, I can do everything a non locked phone can do. Plus how many of those "better devices" have a physical keyboard?

The Droid 3 is going to be Global-ready? this may stop me from getting the DInc2 if someone can confirm this with a report.
No one knows as of yet.

drkow19

Reaction score
Agree with the last 2 posts 100%. Especially this part:

Sure there might be devices out there that are more "open" from a hackability standpoint, but for what my needs are, that's just a fun bonus and not a necessity.

I dont get it. Android, ANY Android phone out the box is almost limitless as far as customizations. There are things one can customize on an Android phone out the box that some phones cant. if you think about it, most of the customization from custom ROMs can be pieced together from apps. Now if its kernel optimizations, thats another story...lol Even with kernels, with these next wave of phones I dont see anyone having to overclock for better performance. And with SetCPU you can downclock for battery life if you need to so...

Bottom line is full custom ROMs isnt the end all be all for Android. I look at it the same way, an added bonus. Custom ROMs can make an already decent phone better, but its not like the phone is no good unless it has a custom ROM. This isnt 2008. Android has come along nicely since then.

I vehemently disagree! First off, I wanted to use that word, vehemently. Secondly, mobile devices have been turning into mini computers. This was not really the case until Android came out, since it is a Linux OS on full hardware. I've been waiting for this to happen since I started playing with computers and gadgets. But what really makes my Droid (or any other phone with an unlocked bootloader) feel like a computer is the fact that I can do the same things to it that I can do to my real PC, except add hardware to it. Being able to tweak my electric box is part of what I love about it (I know, that's what she said). And now that I have had a taste of it, how can I ever go back to a phone that is LOCKED? I'd rather keep my Droid 1!

edit: I know you were talking about custom roms and not unlocked bootloaders specifically, but the two often go hand-in-hand.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
^All I want to ask is what can a custom ROM do that a collection of apps, root and non root apps, cant do? Whatever customization a custom ROM gives vs. a collection of apps I bet the gap will be small.

Now compare an Android phone out the box to say an iPhone out the box. Some will feel out the box their Android phone is already like a computer.

I still have my Droid 1 for 2 reasons: Its a great phone and it has the unencrypted bootloader. I used to be a ROM fanatic. Right before Froyo dropped I got tired of the ROM scene. Went back to stock Android. I like ROMs as much as the next guy, but I also greatly appreciate Android for what it offers out the box.

Last edited:

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL

Unless they've changed the hardware in the phone recently, yes it will be global.

Last edited:

LocoRon

Reaction score
^All I want to ask is what can a custom ROM do that a collection of apps, root and non root apps, cant do? Whatever customization a custom ROM gives vs. a collection of apps I bet the gap will be small.

The first example that comes to mind is for the Xoom: Officially, the SD slot still isn't activated, but throw on a custom kernel and it will work fine.

In other words: A fully custom ROM can enable functionality that may otherwise not be present, and that no app can enable. ;)

loki993

Reaction score
I know theres many posts about the Droid 3. But I found some really good information on the upcoming device. According to an infamous VZW engineer, the D3 will be
  • Dual Core
  • Better Keyboard
  • Stock Android 2.4 (Ice Cream Sandwich Launch Device?)
  • NO BLUR
That information was from a tweet he posted back in February. He followed that piece of information with this tweet: "An Who said it HAD to be a moto device?? "Droid" is a Verizon leased trademark.. Remember that with ya locked bootloaders.. lol"

Now I'm not sure what that means. But what I do know is that THIS will be my next phone.

Here are the tweets he posted: Twitter, Twitter

If it doesnt have 4G I couldnt care less wheather or not it has blur on it.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score

The first example that comes to mind is for the Xoom: Officially, the SD slot still isn't activated, but throw on a custom kernel and it will work fine.

In other words: A fully custom ROM can enable functionality that may otherwise not be present, and that no app can enable. ;)
Good example. Something thats mind blowing on Moto's part....

So far...the gap is still small. Out of the things I can think of that a custom kernel can add to a device: tethering, sd card suport, overclocking, only the sd card issue would really need a custom kernel.

Not dismissing full custom ROMs, but not being able to have a full custom ROM isnt the whole locked down, ball n chain some ppl make it out to be.

gsdreams

Reaction score
I know theres many posts about the Droid 3. But I found some really good information on the upcoming device. According to an infamous VZW engineer, the D3 will be
  • Dual Core
  • Better Keyboard
  • NO BLUR
That information was from a tweet he posted back in February. He followed that piece of information with this tweet: "An Who said it HAD to be a moto device?? "Droid" is a Verizon leased trademark.. Remember that with ya locked bootloaders.. lol"

Now I'm not sure what that means. But what I do know is that THIS will be my next phone.

I don't see the Droid 3 not being a Motorola device. They produced the original droidm the droid 2, then the D2G. HTC has the incredible and the charge. I really don't see Verizon moving away from Motorola for the Droid 3.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

OP
Malvado

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
  • Dual Core
  • Better Keyboard
  • NO BLUR

I don't see the Droid 3 not being a Motorola device. They produced the original droidm the droid 2, then the D2G. HTC has the incredible and the charge. I really don't see Verizon moving away from Motorola for the Droid 3.

It has already been confirmed that it is a motorola device

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I wonder why we are even having this talk. The Droid 3 was always a moto device and it always had blur .. ney keyboard..yes bigger... yes ... locked ... yes...

nothing to see here

gsdreams

Reaction score
I wonder why we are even having this talk. The Droid 3 was always a moto device and it always had blur .. ney keyboard..yes bigger... yes ... locked ... yes...

nothing to see here

I have yet to see any actual specs on the droid 3 other than speculation. Even the pictures I found weren't 100% it wds the droid 3. Besides that until it is officially released people can speculate all they want because nothing is guaranteed until release. :)

ThisIsMyName

Reaction score
  • Dual Core
  • Better Keyboard
  • NO BLUR

It runs Gingerbread and most definitely has Blur. It is also confirmed to be a Motorola device. This is wildly inaccurate information.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
  • Dual Core
  • Better Keyboard
  • NO BLUR

It runs Gingerbread and most definitely has Blur. It is also confirmed to be a Motorola device. This is wildly inaccurate information.

Yeah, we knew that before this was even originally posted. :)

At least now there's more concrete proof of it.