Droid 3: Bigger Screen, Cleaner Look, Front Facing Cam, No 4G

mg8199

Reaction score
I'm in the Chicago area so I can get 4G but I'm content with 3G. I have the OG Droid and Verizon WILL NOT leave me alone because I'm eligible for the upgrade. They want me to use my final NE2. I had some rep call me on Friday. I could barely understand her due to her mumbling and she kept trying to push the TB or Inspire off on me. I kept telling her no because I like Moto. She couldn't seem to get it in her head. I must have told her four times that I didn't like the HTC's stock setup, too much bloatware. I'm sticking with Moto. Now the decision is whether it'll be X2 or D3...

SolidSnakeUS

Reaction score
Indications to end of June? Not during June? That's when I'll get a new phone. Also, how much would it be since it's not 4G? And lastly, since I know 4G is growing, would getting a 4G phone now be ideal or no? Or should I just get a 3G phone for now and get a 4G phone when this phone is up?

not sure exactly when its coming out. would be nice to get a nice update on this phone...

as for price. id guess 200$ but thats only a guess. And for getting a 3g or 4g phone. it all depends on if your in a 4g area.

I'm north of Philly, but I don't even have 4G yet. Also, Verizon has said they will have their 4G be as expansive (on their site anyways) as 3G by 2013, which is when I'd get another phone. Should I just wait till then?

I'm just trying to figure things out because I should be getting a new phone next month.

SolidSnakeUS

Reaction score
Oh and just saying, I've been without a data plan pretty much ever since I've had a phone, so maybe I don't need 4G?

mg8199

Reaction score
Oh and just saying, I've been without a data plan pretty much ever since I've had a phone, so maybe I don't need 4G?

What's the main purpose of your phone? Sounds to me like you aren't really streaming any data right? So would 4G make that big of a difference for you?

I love my OG Droid and am sticking with an Android phone because it's conducive to my lifestyle. I have a lot of appts I have to keep. Everything is backed up to my Gmail & Google Calendar. I use the internet on rare occasions when I'm either bored or if I need to find something on the fly. I don't stream movies and my Pandora sounds just fine. So unless I'm missing something, 4G isn't going to overtly affect me so I can wait 'til I get my next phone.

Plus from what I've read/heard, the 4G may be a contributing factor to the TB's horrible battery life. I'm no expert like a lot of the guys on here, just my 2 cents.

GimmeThemCheese

Reaction score
Looks very nice! I already upgraded to a tbolt when i retired my droid 1 so I won't be getting this one, but ill always be fond of the original Droid line

SolidSnakeUS

Reaction score

What's the main purpose of your phone? Sounds to me like you aren't really streaming any data right? So would 4G make that big of a difference for you?

I love my OG Droid and am sticking with an Android phone because it's conducive to my lifestyle. I have a lot of appts I have to keep. Everything is backed up to my Gmail & Google Calendar. I use the internet on rare occasions when I'm either bored or if I need to find something on the fly. I don't stream movies and my Pandora sounds just fine. So unless I'm missing something, 4G isn't going to overtly affect me so I can wait 'til I get my next phone.

Plus from what I've read/heard, the 4G may be a contributing factor to the TB's horrible battery life. I'm no expert like a lot of the guys on here, just my 2 cents.

Maybe I could just stick with 3G, but goddamn... I still think the price of some phones can be a little insane. I just think that for sometime in the future, for new 3G phones, they should always be cheaper than the 4G phones. Want the faster speed, you have to spend more. The only reason I could see the Droid 3 being 200 for another 2 years is because it's dual core, that's how I see it. But I'd use it for web browsing, some apps, and when it comes to the Droid 3, the physical keyboard is a great thing.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Maybe I could just stick with 3G, but goddamn... I still think the price of some phones can be a little insane. I just think that for sometime in the future, for new 3G phones, they should always be cheaper than the 4G phones. Want the faster speed, you have to spend more. The only reason I could see the Droid 3 being 200 for another 2 years is because it's dual core, that's how I see it. But I'd use it for web browsing, some apps, and when it comes to the Droid 3, the physical keyboard is a great thing.

3G phones on Verizon are cheaper than 4G phones. Verizon is charging $250 - $300 for LTE phones. They can be found for cheaper at other retailers, but so can the 3G phones. It seems that $199 is the price for high end 3G phones and $249 or $299 is the price for 4G phones. That's not to say that I agree with the way they're pricing the phones, because I don't, but they are charging less for 3G.

music life

Reaction score
so back on topic a bit.

are there anymore updates on the D3? seems they have been pretty quiet lately with this

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
so back on topic a bit.

are there anymore updates on the D3? seems they have been pretty quiet lately with this

I'd say the benchmarking (which included confirmation of some specs) and finding out that it will definitely be sporting Blur over the past two days are pretty good chunks of information for a phone that's not due out for a month/month and a half yet. I'm sure that after the X2 drops there will be a lot more forthcoming.

Jasko

Reaction score
The only deal breaker for me will be if this phone is unlockable. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed.