Droid 3: Bigger Screen, Cleaner Look, Front Facing Cam, No 4G

XainniaX

Reaction score
i thought the OP of this thread said no more "hump" at the bottom...these pictures show otherwise

These pics are only of the sliding screen. The OG Droid pic doesn't show the hump either.

Really looking forward to upgrading to this Droid from my OG. Lack of 4G isn't a deal killer for me.

Ellectronico

Reaction score
while 4g would be nice, its not going to role out in my area for a very long time. I would probably be upgrading FROM the D3 just as it gets to my area. So that isn't a deal breaker for me.

This looks like everything i have been waiting for.

Long Live my D1!

darkmatter

Reaction score
4" screen, dual-core, slide-out qwerty, and LACK of 4G makes this phone absolutely perfect for me. I'll NEVER see 4G where I live, so it's useless to me.

+1

Att got 3g where I live a few months ago, t mobile still doesn't have 3g, I'm not holding my breath for 4g around here.

sb1831

Reaction score
Maybe I've missed it but has there been a successful Dual Core LTE phone released ANYWHERE yet? Why are so many people in a hurry to get BOTH rushed into one phone? I'd rather they take the time and keep making big advancements like an awesome dual core 3G phone or an LTE phone that doesn't suck down batteries like Charlie Sheen does scotch, and then merge the two technologies together.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Maybe I've missed it but has there been a successful Dual Core LTE phone released ANYWHERE yet? Why are so many people in a hurry to get BOTH rushed into one phone? I'd rather they take the time and keep making big advancements like an awesome dual core 3G phone or an LTE phone that doesn't suck down batteries like Charlie Sheen does scotch, and then merge the two technologies together.

Indeed. If the issues with the Thunderbolt, the delay of the Bionic, and the delay of 4G for the Xoom aren't enough evidence, LTE for phones/tablets (and especially dual core, or at least the Tegra 2) isn't fully baked yet. If Verizon just started pushing out all LTE or all LTE dual core devices right now, their reputation would dramatically decline as scores of customers would be having a lot of problems. There's a reason why they keep making 3G phones right now. And the 3G phones will sell, regardless of 4G. By and large, people buy what they're told to buy via advertising and "what's cool." Sure 4G is cool, but until it's essentially everywhere, most people won't generally care when the right spin is put on everything. Visitors to this forum and similar sites are the exception to the rule when it comes to being informed on all of this.

music life

Reaction score

Indeed. If the issues with the Thunderbolt, the delay of the Bionic, and the delay of 4G for the Xoom aren't enough evidence, LTE for phones/tablets (and especially dual core, or at least the Tegra 2) isn't fully baked yet. If Verizon just started pushing out all LTE or all LTE dual core devices right now, their reputation would dramatically decline as scores of customers would be having a lot of problems. There's a reason why they keep making 3G phones right now. And the 3G phones will sell, regardless of 4G. By and large, people buy what they're told to buy via advertising and "what's cool." Sure 4G is cool, but until it's essentially everywhere, most people won't generally care when the right spin is put on everything. Visitors to this forum and similar sites are the exception to the rule when it comes to being informed on all of this.

what issues does the TB have besides for the battery? which most phones will have. and you would think after the crash of the bionic and the fact that D3 wont be out for a few months is enough time to fix the problems.

atrix is dual core and 4G so im not seeing how its that hard to get it right. I would think the minds of moto should be able to fix the dual core LTE problems in reasonable time. Even more if there are already rumored quad core phones out...

just my .02

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL

what issues does the TB have besides for the battery? which most phones will have. and you would think after the crash of the bionic and the fact that D3 wont be out for a few months is enough time to fix the problems.

atrix is dual core and 4G so im not seeing how its that hard to get it right. I would think the minds of moto should be able to fix the dual core LTE problems in reasonable time. Even more if there are already rumored quad core phones out...

just my .02

The "4G" that the Atrix has is actually just an extension of 3G, so it's not a completely different system like LTE. The Atrix and the Bionic are very different in that regard. It's easier to get stability on the type of 4G that AT&T and T-Mobile are pushing because it's not anything particularly new. Making everything work well together with a new technology, like LTE, is very different. A few months helps with working on the problems, but new technologies take time to work out all of the kinks. LTE won't be completely stable on phones for quite awhile yet. They don't want to be pushing nothing but a brand new technology that is still working out several issues.

The Thunderbolt was pushed back several times due to battery and power issues. It's still dealing with those and it will continue to deal with those. Most 3G phones released now don't have battery problems to the extent that the Thunderbolt has. The Charge is the only LTE device that seems to have come about without delays, but the jury is still out on it's overall operation.

The Droid 3 is also supposed to launch sooner than a few months. Another reason for not having LTE due to all of the problems that Motorola has been having with LTE.

EgooEspada

Reaction score

just my .02

The "4G" that the Atrix has is actually just an extension of 3G, so it's not a completely different system like LTE. The Atrix and the Bionic are very different in that regard. It's easier to get stability on the type of 4G that AT&T and T-Mobile are pushing because it's not anything particularly new. Making everything work well together with a new technology, like LTE, is very different. A few months helps with working on the problems, but new technologies take time to work out all of the kinks. LTE won't be completely stable on phones for quite awhile yet. They don't want to be pushing nothing but a brand new technology that is still working out several issues.

The Thunderbolt was pushed back several times due to battery and power issues. It's still dealing with those and it will continue to deal with those. Most 3G phones released now don't have battery problems to the extent that the Thunderbolt has. The Charge is the only LTE device that seems to have come about without delays, but the jury is still out on it's overall operation.

The Droid 3 is also supposed to launch sooner than a few months. Another reason for not having LTE due to all of the problems that Motorola has been having with LTE.

Exactly what you said. LTE and Terga 2 aren't playing nicely at all. Qualcomm processor seems to work best and I'm still wondering how Samsung's own processor is handling it. I wouldn't be surprised if the 'new' Bionic gets a OMAP4 processor or even a Qualcomm one.

Also, sorry to say but the Droid Charge has been slightly delayed too. lol. Due to the LTE problems, they couldn't launch the device because not only would it look bad, but you couldn't activate the devices anyway. I feel bad the Verizon's first two 4G devices has been causing them headaches. Hopefully the LG Revolution and so on isn't so difficult to get out.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Exactly what you said. LTE and Terga 2 aren't playing nicely at all. Qualcomm processor seems to work best and I'm still wondering how Samsung's own processor is handling it. I wouldn't be surprised if the 'new' Bionic gets a OMAP4 processor or even a Qualcomm one.

Also, sorry to say but the Droid Charge has been slightly delayed too. lol. Due to the LTE problems, they couldn't launch the device because not only would it look bad, but you couldn't activate the devices anyway. I feel bad the Verizon's first two 4G devices has been causing them headaches. Hopefully the LG Revolution and so on isn't so difficult to get out.[/FONT]

Oops. I meant to say that the Charge hadn't been delayed because of problems with the phone itself (at least that's what it appears). But yeah, that 4G outage didn't help things. And rumors are that the Targa, the code name for the phone that is apparently going to now be the Bionic, will be running an OMAP processor.

It will be interesting to see how LTE on the Xoom plays out since they've already delayed it, presumably because of issues with the Tegra 2.

sb1831

Reaction score

It just makes sense to me to put off this whole dual core 4g cell phone thing until you get each working independently of the other,Then try to combine them. I previously stated this first round of LTE products would be plagued by problems and so far to this point, I've been right. Everything has either been scrapped, had terrible battery life, or "4g upgradeable"

music life

Reaction score

just my .02

oh i heard late summer for D3 which would be about 3-4 months. i would be happy to find out i was mistaken. So in 2013(when a person would be able to upgrade again) you think 3G will still be working good or will it be out dated by then?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
oh i heard late summer for D3 which would be about 3-4 months. i would be happy to find out i was mistaken. So in 2013(when a person would be able to upgrade again) you think 3G will still be working good or will it be out dated by then?

The same people who initially leaked photos/information on the Droid 3 back in March have said that if it doesn't ship by the end of Q2 (which is the end of June), then that means the release of the phone has been delayed. That of course can happen (just look at the Bionic), but evidently the plan is to have it out by then. These people have always been accurate in their information. It also looks like the Droid X 2 is nearing release, and the Droid 2 was released shortly after the Droid X, so it's not unreasonable to think something similar will happen this year with the Droid 3.

3G will still be around and will be just as good as it is now in 2013, but by then LTE should have matured out of the initial problems and will be more widespread. A 3G phone purchased now will definitely still work then if that's what you're asking.

Reaction score
I love my OG Droid and just wish it had more RAM and internal storage. I like the Droid 3 but the thing that seems a bit weird to me is why have a front facing camera on a phone that would only be able to run a max of 1.2 Mbps in a good area (unless you're on WiFi)? The EVO has one and it runs on their WiMax and the ones on T-Mobile can run on their HSPA+, so those could handle it. I just find it a bit odd, though I do know that apps like fring work on CDMA Rev. A, just a bit too choppy for me...