Droid 3: Bigger Screen, Cleaner Look, Front Facing Cam, No 4G

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Droid3.jpg

The Droid1 and Droid2 had very few changes between them, with just slight improvements in most areas, the new changes with the Droid 3 aren’t slight in any sense. According to Global Direct Parts, a reseller of OEM components for mobile devices, the Droid 3 has some major changes coming. The changes their pictures portrayed are; a bigger screen, a front facing camera, no more hump on the bottom, rearranged buttons, cleaner looking front, and a bigger screen… or did I already say that. Now this information is being questioned by some because the Droid 3 is not expected to come in for a few months, so it's very strange that they received their parts so darn early.

However if this turns out to be true, the Droid3 might be another hit, a hit that is only limited by the lack of 4G that has been rumored to plague the device from day one.
Droid31.jpg

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I moved on to an X now but I loved my OG Droid so much for so long that I know I'll be paying full price to get the D3. Is there anymore specs on it yet?

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
YES!!!!! oh I so don't care about no 4G.....you have no idea. When I am online.....80 to 85% of the time I am on WiFi and there ain't no way 4g can compete.

silverfang77

Reaction score
I've read that the D3 will have totally stock Android. Also, it has a separate number row.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Pictures were leaked of this quite awhile back, including one that shows the 5 row keyboard with a dedicated number row. I'm surprised that it's just now getting much in the way of attention after the screen became available in some fashion to Global Direct Parts. Rumors indicate a dual core processor, qHD screen, and global capabilities in addition to the front facing camera, 5 row keyboard, and 4" screen. Reliable Motorola insiders on Howard Forums seem to think that baring any delays, it might be released sooner rather than later, possibly before the end of Q2. The Droid 2 came out shortly after the Droid X, so it wouldn't be unreasonable to think that the Droid 3 might follow shortly after the Droid X 2.

If this drops before the middle of July, it will be my next phone.

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
if it doesn't have it upon release it wont be far behind. If the DX and D2 get GB the D3 will have it as well as the DX2

Jasko

Reaction score
I'm really anticipating this phone. I, too, really don't care about 4G. I'm fine with 3G and I've read that battery life sucks on 4G. I just hope this comes with an unlocked bootloader, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm eligible for an upgrade in September :(

gimlet72

Reaction score
I find it strange that Verizon spent all that money on rolling out a 4g network and spending the money on advertising and they continue to roll out non-4g compatible phones. I have a droid X and live in a major market with 4g. I don't think I would consider buying a non 4g phone with Verizon next.

loki993

Reaction score
Great looks awesome, but no 4G = fail for me. I have absolutly 0 interest in a phone that doesnt have 4G. Id rather them delay it and get the 4G working rather then release it without it.

Limbwalker

Reaction score
I have the Droid2 and am do for an upgrade. I've been waiting for the Droid3. Looks like the wait is almost over . . . dancedroid

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Well I have had the D1 for quite a while now and have an upgrade at the end of the summer. I told myself that i would never own a phone without a QWERTY and after trying some touch screen keyboard phones I plan to stick to my word. Also, in my upgrade I am looking for a fast phone, front camera, qwerty, and hopefully easy to root...

I am quite shocked about the lack of 4G however. I mean I am doing quite well on 3G but I thought 4G was the future? It is stupid but I guess it's not a big deal. Verizon probably won't put out a QWERTY phone besides this for a long time anyway... uhgg

Beardface

Reaction score
Yikes... now this thing has no 4G?

Maybe its just me, but with the Bionic being cancelled, the 'new Bionic' (Targa) being redesigned because its 4G hardware and software wasn't working properly, and now the Droid 3 coming out without 4G like it was supposed to.... Yeah, it just reeks that Motorola is having massive problems with a properly working LTE Radio.

Kind of glad I got the TBolt instead of waiting. Yeah, dual cores might be nice and all, but if the LTE systems are all screwy, it won't matter. I'll wait for Moto to come out with devices that not only have 4G, but have it working without issue before thinking of going back. Too many red flags right now.