Droid 3 and Droid X2 Show-Up in Best Buy Database with Model Numbers Confirmed

Snow02

Reaction score
Yes, you are correct. Apparently it can do either 4G or 3G, where available. Well played.

DyMiC

Reaction score
Ok. Let's break this down.

The Thunderbolt has 2 Cellular Radios in it. One for the 4GLTE, and one for CDMA/EVDO(1X/3G)... when you're on a call, it goes through the 1X, and since 1X and 3G are on the same radio, you can't use data and voice at the same time. So the Tbolt then utilizes the LTE radio to gain data. This is why you can use voice and data at the same time on the Tbolt.

I think the iPhone may have 2 radios in it also, and that's how they get the voice + data on those. I don't know. I've never looked into it much.

But ugh! Please please please be a Front Facing Camera! I thought I had read somewhere that it was confirmed that it was coming with one... but don't quote me on that.

gsdreams

Reaction score

The Thunderbolt has 2 Cellular Radios in it. One for the 4GLTE, and one for CDMA/EVDO(1X/3G)... when you're on a call, it goes through the 1X, and since 1X and 3G are on the same radio, you can't use data and voice at the same time. So the Tbolt then utilizes the LTE radio to gain data. This is why you can use voice and data at the same time on the Tbolt.

I think the iPhone may have 2 radios in it also, and that's how they get the voice + data on those. I don't know. I've never looked into it much.

But ugh! Please please please be a Front Facing Camera! I thought I had read somewhere that it was confirmed that it was coming with one... but don't quote me on that.

The iphone on vzw doesn't support voice and data. It's one of the reasons ATT is still gaining iphone customers.

GSM technology (what ATT currently uses) works differently than CDMA.

Now, if they could roll out the feature that snow02 was touting, and on top of that update the current 3G phones to support it...................

Snow02

Reaction score

The iphone on vzw doesn't support voice and data. It's one of the reasons ATT is still gaining iphone customers.

GSM technology (what ATT currently uses) works differently than CDMA.

Now, if they could roll out the feature that snow02 was touting, and on top of that update the current 3G phones to support it...................

They can do simultaneou over 3G or 4G.

From anandtech's review a few days ago
"the Thunderbolt fully supports simultaneous CDMA2000-1x voice and 3G EVDO or 4G LTE data."

gsdreams

Reaction score
What it can do, and what Verizon Guarantees/supports are two different things.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Wait, so this whole time you have ONLY been saying VZW doesn't suppport it, but NOW you agree it also works in 3G only areas?

I think you should be a little more forthcoming in your explanation, since you know how the tech works and because of your 15 years of credentials.

I'm not being fresh (maybe a little bit), but you haven't explained the tech, and just NOW told us it CAN work but its not supported. That doesn't tell me anything other than you have no argument for the fact that the other person is telling you it works, because it does work; its just not supported?

So which is it? Does it work in 3G-Only areas and in LTE areas? Or only LTE areas?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL

Wait, so this whole time you have ONLY been saying VZW doesn't suppport it, but NOW you agree it also works in 3G only areas?

I think you should be a little more forthcoming in your explanation, since you know how the tech works and because of your 15 years of credentials.

I'm not being fresh (maybe a little bit), but you haven't explained the tech, and just NOW told us it CAN work but its not supported. That doesn't tell me anything other than you have no argument for the fact that the other person is telling you it works, because it does work; its just not supported?

So which is it? Does it work in 3G-Only areas and in LTE areas? Or only LTE areas?

Yes, it can work in 3G-only areas. As Snow02 pointed out on page two, the Thunderbolt has a SVDO radio, which supports voice over 1X and data over 3G at the same time. Does Verizon use this as a selling point for the phone? No, because it's not officially supported by the company because it isn't something they can guarantee all the time. But it does work.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Howdy folks .. back again, tell ya, bein sick this long really is no fun. So again, if someone could tell me whats the next big thing in android phones everyones waiting for to try and help me get back in the scoop of things..

Thanks,
Rich/Shadez

gsdreams

Reaction score
Thank you bsweetness you explained it exactly. :)

DaWolf85

Reaction score
Erm, the Bionic is in there as well. I thought the Bionic got scratched, at least as the Bionic?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Erm, the Bionic is in there as well. I thought the Bionic got scratched, at least as the Bionic?

Not exactly. The Etna got scratched, which was the internal code name for what was supposed to be the Bionic. They ran into significant hardware problems with it, so they cancelled it. The Targa, which was the internal code name for what was supposed to be a completely different phone with a later target launch date, is now going to be released with the Bionic name.

So, the hardware that was originally announced/showed off as the Bionic will not make it to market. But rather than admit flaws in the design and publicly cancel the Bionic, they delayed the Bionic for "upgrades" and will just slap the name on a different phone.

Raptor007

Reaction score
That's exactly what I was thinking.

What kind of marketing approach is that to leave it out?

I'm also wondering about Battery Life and whatnot. Does it have a bigger battery? Or the same size? Has it been optimized to use less battery? What? I wanna know.

And the other big question that came to mind:

Since the Tbolt has DUAL RADIOS making it able to Talk'n'Surf... will this have dual radios? And will future phones have dual radios so we can have Voice+Data? That would be awesome. Not a deal breaker... but would be a total amenity.

From what I hear, on 4g you can talk and use data unlike 3g, obviously. So any phone that's 4g can do that

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

It has nothing to do with 4G. It works solely over the 3G/1x network.

The ThunderBolt has SVDO for simultaneous Voice and Data, Voice on 1X, data on EVDO, no other 4G phone on Verizon has this. The LG Revolution is the ONLY 4G phone on Verizon that supports VoLTE which completed its test earlier this year. So it can do voice over LTE when Verizon rolls that out, in what 2020.

Raptor007

Reaction score
not true...well with the htc evo at least...i tried using data and talkin at the same time but it said it connection error

4G on the Evo (Sprint) is different than 4G on the Thunderbolt (Verizon). But as far as I know, voice over LTE has not been enabled. The ability to use voice and data at the same time with the Thunderbolt is on 3G right now, but I believe it uses a different type of 3G radio than the norm to make this happen.

Ok, let's clarify this.

The TBolt uses CDMA for voice and 3G Data. Voice and Data are only guaranteed to work in 4G coverage areas.

The reason? 3G CDMA and 4G LTE are two different technologies with different radios.

You are right that 4G only supports data which is why you can be on a CDMA (dates back past 1X) voice call and still use LTE data.

Ok I will clarify. The TB has SVDO, which means it can do Voice on 1X at the same time using Data on EVDO, it has nothing to do with 4G LTE. The TB is also not capable of VoLTE only the LG Revolution is.

I hope that helps.

leonozug

Reaction score
Looking forward to the DX2...probably gonna sell my X on ebay and buy the X2 outright. The more RAM, dual-core, and better screen has me wantin' it. I won't have 4G in my area for years so I'm fine with just 3G. Really wish it had the FFC but eh, I can live without it. But, knowing me, the Bionic will come out a few months from now and then I'll be selling the X2 to get that!! lol