1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Droid 2 wifi not working

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 2' started by thisiswang, Aug 23, 2010.

1. thisiswang

thisiswang New Member

I connected my Droid 2 to wifi in my house. i have a strong signal but i can't do anything using wifi, it doesn't really work. I read somewhere that it could be an issue with wireless-n. anyone have any input?
  2. cromo8

cromo8 New Member

try resetting your wifi at home and try to connect again

wifi seems to work great
  3. bobby_v

bobby_v New Member

I've run into this quite a bit over the last couple of days. I think it's a because of my sucky Netgear router. A router reboot usually fixes things.
  4. thisiswang

thisiswang New Member

change your wireless settings to tkip instead of aes
  5. sorapp

sorapp New Member

I don't know if the Droid 2 can use WiFi-n. My router can handle all WiFi protocols but I can only get "G" to work with the Droid 2. This is not a real problem for me because that is still faster than my internet connection.

Also I am using AES successfully on mine.
  6. Masx

Masx New Member

Anyone else having this issue? I also get inconsistent wifi connections and this seems pretty major to me and is actually quite annoying and frustrating how it hasn't been fixed yet.

I don't see why people work around the issue by downgrading their router settings and say all is fine. I know my droid 1 had ZERO issues with wifi till I upgraded to a droid 2.

Any fixes/patches coming out soon from motorola/verizon?
  7. jim6172

jim6172 New Member

Any fixes/patches coming out soon from motorola/verizon?[/QUOTE]

we can only hope took mine to verizon yesterday and they have no idea how to fix (go figure)
    jim:icon_eek:
  8. Masx

Masx New Member

From what I'm hearing people are just ignoring the issue/working around it instead of reporting it. Which is why Moto/VZW aren't doing much about it.

The tech support supervisor from Moto acknowledge my issue and also agrees that lowering security settings etc. shouldn't have to be done and he even confirmed one more bug with me.... Peer to Peer (Ad-Hoc) setting force closing everytime.

He is reporting to level 3 tech support engineers and seeing what they can do for future patches but he obviously had no ETA.

More people need to report this issue instead of trying to work around it....
  9. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Although I lose connection occasionally, overall since installing 2.2 in my D1 and getting my D2 the connections seems to be more consistent.

2.2 update had improved drivers for the Droid. Nothing else is available and probably won't be until we see Gingerbread.
  10. DrFeelgood

DrFeelgood New Member

Change the router channel from 1 to anything else. I've found that my PS3 can't connect to my router when it's on channel 1, but I've never tried with my Droid 2 so I'm not sure.
  11. Redflea

Redflea New Member

I had a router that would connect to my D1 and D2 perfectly, but after about five minutes all data transfer would stop, even though it showed a strong connection.

Wasn't able to figure it out, tried all kinds of things on the router and on the phone, channels, security, etc.

Finally got out an old Netgear N router, installed DD-WRT FW on it and it connects and everything works.

Moral of the story? No freakin' idea, just happy things work now and it didn't cost me any $.
  12. mwyatt

mwyatt New Member

How, pray tell, do you do that? I have zero options to change those settings on my Droid 2.
  13. Masx

Masx New Member

He means from your wireless router. But you shouldn't have to resort to that as this phone should and does support up to N broadcast and aes security.

My droid 1 had zero problems and yet droid 2 does.... so frustrating. Anyways Motorola tech support is investigating this for me and escalated the issue and will contact me in 24-48 hours.

Who knows if anything will come of it.
  14. fireflame90050

fireflame90050 New Member

what is this DD-WRT you speak of? is it some sort of custom firmware for a router? bcause if thats the fix them im all over it
  15. mwyatt

mwyatt New Member

Well that's good. I thought I was missing something obvious. The WAP's are already configured for TKIP. FWIW, it did eventually connect, but the connection is flaky even though the signal strength shows as 'Fair'. Sigh.... It's still better than Windows Mobile. It could connect to the WAP, but it couldn't access any resources when it did.
  16. dast

dast New Member

For what it's worth, I've seen a lot of the same behavior people have described here. I've managed to tune away most of the hiccups that were the primary cause of dropped connections for me.

First, turn off Bluetooth. It operates in the same 2.4 GHz ISM band as Wifi and (may) cause significant interference. I find that I can almost never establish a Wifi connection if Bluetooth is on. When I can establish a connection, it drops frequently. This causes me a slight bit of heartburn that I can't use Wifi and Bluetooth simultaneously, but I can live with it for a better Wifi connection.

Second, check out and adjust the settings on your router. Unless you are an electrical engineer or a wireless networking expert, you are probably going to have to use trial and error. I found that the only parameters that seemed to make any difference on my setup were flavor of 802.11 (b,g,n,etc) was in use and what channel the router broadcasted on. Changing between b/g/n obviously has implications on range and throughput, so keep that in mind. My setup seems to work best with 802.11b which sucks but at least it works more reliably. Choosing a channel is a matter of finding out what channels are in use by other access points within range. I suggest the Wifi Analyzer app on the marketplace. It is one of the best tools on android as it turns your phone into a pretty good Wifi analyzer. It will show you what access points are around you and what channels they are using in graph form, so you can clearly see where you overlap. I changed my router from Auto Select (this helped reliability a bit too) to a specific channel away from what other people were using.

I still have other issues with Wifi, but these changes made the most difference in reducing dropped connections. It is still sometimes difficult to establish an initial connection, especially when I turn Wifi on via the home screen widget. Doing it through the options menu works a bit better. The symptom is that the phone will turn on and off Wifi over and over until it eventually scans for access points and finds mine. There are also times where I have a good connection to my router but all traffic that leaves my network seems to go nowhere. I've found this is mostly due to my crappy internet connection and not the phone.
  17. Dankinia

Dankinia New Member

I am glad that I am not the only one with this issue. My D1 connected to my home network without any probkem, but my new D2 either wont connect, or keeps or keeps dropping the connection. I really hope they resolve this issue soon. 3G is spotty in my house so I rely on WiFi while I'm home.
  18. TiberiusX

TiberiusX New Member

I saw it posted in another forum on another site (don't remember where and can't find it again)......turn off WMM on your router and it should work. I run a Netgear WNR2000 and was having problems not being able to connect, turned off WMM in the router settings and now I get a stable connection running 65mps. Hope this helps everyone!! dancedroid
  19. snoles188

snoles188 New Member

I know its annoying....

But some poster on here said to reset your router. Worked almost immediately. Leave your wifi off on your phone, and then once your router is back on line, reconnect. Perfect signal now. Pain in the arse, but it does work.
  20. Vortec6

Vortec6 New Member

I just got a droid 2 and was having the same issue until I reset my router by unplugging it and it appears to have fixed the problem. It seems like maybe its an issue with the Netgear routers, which Comcast just gave me one as an upgrade.
Search tags for this page
cant connect to wifi with droid 2
droid 2 global wifi fix
droid 2 global wifi not workimg fix
droid 2 global wifi not working
droid 2 not connecting to wifi
droid 2 not connecting to wireless

droid 2 wifi not working

incredible 2 wifi not working
motorola droid 2 global wifi not working signal
my r2d2 droid will connect to wifi but my home
the wifi wont work on my droid 2