Droid 2 Video Out Question

Reaction score
I have an LCD screen that is built in with my stereo in my car, it has bluetooth and a bunch of other features that are irrelevant to this. I would find it extremely convenient, if there was some way i could send the video from my phone to the LCD screen in my car. The LCD is a touch screen too btw. Is there any way to output the screen from my phone onto an external LCD, along with the touch screen support?

OP
R
Reaction score
The only port thats even capable of doing this is the USB charging port. I was thinking maybe there's some special cable that hooks up to your phones USB port and outputs to red white yellow cables (can't think of the name right now).

Brian1

Reaction score
No actually video out port on droid2 but look into DLNA reciever Brian

Brian1

Reaction score
I dont know about that. Never used it. Closest thing i can thing of is if you had a computer in the car that can output to the radio. Then use an app that allows control of the phone through a web interface browser over a wifi connection. i think there is an app that uses USB too but does not fully display the android desktop. Just parts of it. Brian

OP
R
Reaction score
well this sounds a lot more complicated than i intended. why can't it be as simple as USB cord to red white yellow cables and output the video through that?

abbazaba

Reaction score
Because USB to component hookups would be a digital to analog cable. There has to be something between the D2 and monitor that would convert the digital signal to an analog one.

I've been looking for a way to do this too. That way you could go over to a friends place and watch video that you've put on your SD card. It would be cool if there was a docking station that had hdmi output.

If anyone knows how to do anything like this, enlighten us please! :)

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

born2golf

Reaction score
can I use dlna to stream my phones screen to my cars lcd screen?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

NO, DLNA is not meant for this type of usage. It is designed as a client/server application where the "server" streams media to the "client". The Droid2 can be both a server or a client. So in your case you would need your screen or something in the car to act as a DLNA client to the droid as a server and pull video from it. I doubt the screen has that feature natively.

Also, I don't think the DLNA works over the USB or Bluetooth. So you would need to rely on wifi in the car.

A think a more like scenario is where you connect the D2 to the car and it appears as a mounted drive where the screen (or whatever is driving the screen) can play video files from the droid acting as USB mass storage device. However, the practicality of all these scenarios is extremely weak. If your car screen was able to pull video from a USB source, I would suggest just putting the video content on a thumb drive and using that and leaving your phone to be a phone. I'm just thinking of my world, and if my phone was serving content to the car for my children, and I had to disconnect for some reason, all hell would break loose in the back seat and it's just not worth the risk to me.

Reaction score
So would it be possible to use a micro to HDMI cord and plug into a pico projector? I sling media, so I would like this for travel. You said it comes out as a digital feed, so if you have a digital receiver it should work, right? Hope this makes sense.