Droid 2 User- Reporting for Duty! (Also need some Droid 2 modding help)

JustinX

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm Justin, and I have been using android devices since the first Motorola Droid and I love them. I joined this forum because I finally wanted to root/flash a mod onto my Droid 2 (this is to hold me over until my upgrade in April with which I hope to get a Droid 4 or Galaxy Nexus). For the 7hrs I have been a user on this forum I have been significantly helped by two moderators, CJM and JSM and I'd like to thank them greatly for their help. This is a great society for such a confusing and wonderful OS and I'm sure that being a member here will increase the enjoyment I'll have with android.

Now onto my issue. I have already Rooted my droid using Pete's Motorola Root Tools. And Now I want to put on the Latest CyanogenMod on my phone.
Whats my next move (steps would be greatly appreciated)? And whats the difference between backing up using Titanium BackUp and Droid2 Recovery Bootstrap?

enlightened

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! I'll let someone with Droid 2 experience help you with your question.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Welcome officially Justin!! And sorry I've been so scarce but I am working the late shift tonight :mad:

When backing up with titanium it is just backing up your apps and any settings associated with those apps. When you make a back up with bootstrap, known as a nandroid, you are essentially taking an exact copy of your phone (minus the SD) at that time which includes everything. And as far as CY mod, you need to make sure you have the correct one for gb (the Revnumbers builds).

Ill be around late tonight if you need more help but I'm sure CJM will be available before that if he is not already.

Sent From the Land Before Time...

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
:welcome: to DF, Justin. I see you met our lovely mod Enlightened & the elusive JSM.

The next step would be to get clockworkmod recovery on your phone & make a nandroid backup. Now, I'm sure your next question would be, "OK, great, how do I do that CJM?" Which I would say, I really don't know :( . I do know you need the bootstrap app. I gave you a link to that earlier. But once downloaded, I couldn't tell you what buttons to press or where to go once you installed it. Just keep your ears open to this thread & hopefully someone will come along with better advice.

Tapped from an Unbrickable DROID

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Ok home and ready to go. From what I am reading you have your phone rooted and now you want to install CM. First things first, have you installed Droid 2 Bootstrap yet?

OP
J

JustinX

Reaction score
Yes, i installed Droid 2 Bootstrap, and I went through the process of backing up the phone already

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Ok well you are on fire, that would have been my next step and obviously you know how to bootstrap so we can skip those steps. After that you want to install CM, have you downloaded that yet? And if so where did you get it from? Links would be good so I can verify.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Ok cool that is the one you need. Steps to follow:

1) Bootstrap into recovery
2) Wipe data/factory Reset
3) Install zip from SD
4) Choose zip from SD
5) Then navigate to the ROM zip and install
(Step 5 you need to do twice, first with the ROM file and then after that the GAPPs file)
6) Reboot system now and then you should be good to go

OP
J

JustinX

Reaction score
Just a couple questions before I try that,
1. How should I go about putting the rom zip onto my phone? Should I download it straight from my phone? Or if from my computer what folder should I put the rom zip into?
2. Where is the GAPPs file and how do I get it?

OP
J

JustinX

Reaction score
I just have 2 questions before I start doing that
1. Should I download the rom zip straight from my phone? Or from my computer then put it on my phone? And then what folder should I put it under?
2. Where and how do I get the GAPPs file(which is the Google applications right?). And same question what folder should it be in?

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
I always download stuff on my computer and then move to my phone, all of which end up in the "downloads" folder but you can put it anywhere as long as you know where it is. They can both be in there. And the GAPPs file should be in the first post of the thread you got the ROM but I am going to double check for you now.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Yup you should be good to go. You will have to log back into your Google account but you will not need to reactivate your phone.

That mod unfortunately I have never experienced using. I gave my D2 to my little bro before that came out and I have not tried it on the X. If you go into the CM4D2-GB thread here and ask I know there are several D2 users who are frequent posters there that will have some good info for you.