Droid 2 unrootable?

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I did a quick search, and came up with nothing.

DROID X, DROID 2 Won't Allow Custom ROMs

Makes me sad. i didnt believe it when my friend told me but... =(

Droid 2 is too far out but Motorola has clearly stated that if you want to add roms to your phone go buy someone else's. They aren't in the business of providing phones to system programmers only to application programmers and end users.

That being said I'm sure many will try and root the phone. When the moto-droid was released it wasn't rootable for about a month. The droid-x appears to be pretty well locked down but I'd take "unrootable" to mean forever. As of the time of this post it can't be rooted, but maybe next week it will be. Given the track record of the moto-milestone I wouldn't bet on next week though.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
motorola realize they stumped the community with the locked bootloader. I expect to see HTC follow that next.
Motorola used the hacking community to help hype and bring more exposure. They have it so now they really don't need you.
Hackers need to think out side the box and figure another way...and they need to keep the tricks secret. They should only pass the method to certain people who will use it to build a program.
With all the methods all over the place, moto is not stupid, and the fact that during the 2.1 craze, people were all on their fb page talking bout how they are rooted and got all the goodies. Moto looked bad and it put unwanted pressure on them. I am not surprised they threw the "android experince" idea out the window and just meet the "minimum standard".

I expect the droid to be the last motto phone to have an unlocked bootloader.

erikfig

Reaction score
They will loose a lot of sales for that. I was going to buy it but now, until the issue don't get resolved I won't buy it, Period.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
what do they gain from this?

Cell phone companies hate rooting so they gain everything. People are opting out and about to buy another droid. So in 9 months time some one who just bought a moto droid (600 paid for by vzw) is now buying a droid x (800 paid by vzw). Now they ready to sell the droid 2 which has a bump in speed and a better keyboard. If a cutsom rom makes the droid 1 like the droid 2, then customers are not opting out early and buying a new phone.

ChevyNexus

Reaction score
Imo. I think they're getting abit greedy. Hackers make up so little of the android system users it sad that they're lockin down phones...I paid good money for my phone let me do what I want with it apple....I mean htc...shoot I mean motorola