Droid 2 Unroot

Evil_B

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I decided to get a Droid 2 a few days ago. Since then i've been reading up on all of the things you can do with one.
I have decided to root mine when I get it, i've found the posts that describe how to do it. But the thing I would like to know is,
can it be undone on the Droid 2, and if so how would that be accomplished? Thanks

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
:welcome: to the Forum and congrats on the D2

I don't know a lot about the rooting and unrooting of the D2, but there are people here who do, I am sure you will find the answers you need

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I decided to get a Droid 2 a few days ago. Since then i've been reading up on all of the things you can do with one.
I have decided to root mine when I get it, i've found the posts that describe how to do it. But the thing I would like to know is,
can it be undone on the Droid 2, and if so how would that be accomplished? Thanks

To unroot you would flash the leaked SBF file that contains the full D2 image...

If you go to Rootzwiki you'll find that info...you can also google Droid 2 SBF.

You use a program called RSD lite 4.7 (w/patch) to flash the SBF file to your Droid to unroot it.

bobby_v

Reaction score
To unroot you would flash the leaked SBF file that contains the full D2 image...

If you go to Rootzwiki you'll find that info...you can also google Droid 2 SBF.

You use a program called RSD lite 4.7 (w/patch) to flash the SBF file to your Droid to unroot it.

Thanks. I was actually wondering about this myself.

pool_shark

Reaction score
According to the rooting process that doesn't use the PC, this is the method to unroot. I have not tried it.

[FONT=&quot]- open your trusty terminal app
- you should see a $ symbol, now do the following
- su
- now you should see a # symbol
- mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
- rm /system/app/Superuser.apk
- rm /system/bin/su
* rm /system/bin/busybox
- mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
- reboot your phone. Toda, no more root [/FONT]

OP
Evil_B

Evil_B

Reaction score
Wow well thank you guys so much. I wasn't expecting answers so quickly. The Droid 2 isn't suppose to arrive til tomorrow. I'm going to try out the info. I downloaded every thing to root & unroot if nessary

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is a very active and friendly community :)

If you ask a question, chances are you will have many answers within the hour, and most times immediately

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
According to the rooting process that doesn't use the PC, this is the method to unroot. I have not tried it.

[FONT=&quot]- open your trusty terminal app
- you should see a $ symbol, now do the following
- su
- now you should see a # symbol
- mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
- rm /system/app/Superuser.apk
- rm /system/bin/su
* rm /system/bin/busybox
- mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
- reboot your phone. Toda, no more root [/FONT]

That process is OK if all you did was root - i.e., you never made any changes to your phone after rooting - for example all you did was run wireless tether.

If you made any cutomizations, e.g., if you applied a custom ROM or a theme, or uninstalled/removed Blur apps, etc., you'll need to do more, or VZW might notice you modified your phone. (Assuming the primary reason to unroot is if you're returning for a warranty issue.)

So what you can do (actually, should do) is, as soon as you root, make a nandroid backup of your stock rooted phone.

Then, if you want to unroot later, restore your stock rooted phone backup and then perform the steps above...then your phone will look and act like it was never customized.

You also might want to uninstall any root apps you may have installed (if you're the cautious type) like SetCPU, Titanium Backup, Wireless Tether, if you installed them before making your first nandroid backup. Not a must, as they don't prove either way that your phone was rooted or not, but might keep an uncomfortable conversation from occurring if you were having a tech look at your phone in a VZW store. ;)

What I'm not 100% sure of is whether Clockwork Recovery could still launch if the unroot steps above are performed...however, the likelihood that a tech would launch CW Recovery accidentally is low anyway.

Finally, if you accept any OTA updates your phone will be unrooted...so don't accept OTA unless that's OK with you.

inxane805

Reaction score
ok i follow the instruction evrything went well... i type "su" and said accesses is denied then just restore to factory setting tru the phone ...

this means im unrooted ???

patchm00

Reaction score
So what you can do (actually, should do) is, as soon as you root, make a nandroid backup of your stock rooted phone.

Redflea, how to make the nandroid backup? I didn't think the recovery tool worked with Droid 2 yet?

thanks

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score

Redflea, how to make the nandroid backup? I didn't think the recovery tool worked with Droid 2 yet?

thanks

Yup - it's been out for a few weeks now...

Get Droid 2 Bootstrap Recovery from Market ($2) or free (google) and install.

Run program, select Bootstrap Recovery.

Then Select the option to launch recovery.

You can also install/use ROM Manager after Bootstrap has set up Recovery.

The only odd thing is that you can't boot into recovery from a battery pull/power off w/the power button/X combo, instead:

- Power up
- Pull battery and then restart when boot animation appears
.......(Or try pressing alt-shift-delete when boot animation appears rather than pulling/reinserting battery)

That will launch Clockwork Recovery when the D2 starts up the second time.

If you boot up into Recovery w/standard Power/X key you'll get the stock recovery, which is still there on the D2, unlike the D1.