Droid 2 unresponsive after turning screen off

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 2' started by trg832002, Dec 13, 2010.

1. trg832002

trg832002 New Member

Sometimes when I tap power button after use to turn the screen off, the phone seems to lockup. About 30 sec later it comes back to life. Looks like a reboot. I added a kill-all at screen off but the problem still occurs from time to time. Thoughts?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App
  2. Droid DOES!!

Droid DOES!! What iDoesn't Theme Developer Premium Member

Remove the "kill all". How often do you reboot?

DroidForums junkie!!
  3. a_husband21

a_husband21 New Member

It happens to me too occasionally. I don't regularly reboot my phone so I just let it do its thing. No errors or anything. Usually it happens when I lock my phone then quickly try to unlock it. I am not rooted, and am not running any task killers or anything out of the ordinary.

4. blaconic

blaconic New Member

This always happens to me. Same thing. Its actually quite irritating. Also when it doesn't respond the home keys stay lit while the screen stays black. I wonder if this is a bug they will eventually fix. I reboot daily.

5. devinhfox

devinhfox New Member

Happens to me too, once per week or so.
    I have nothing more
  6. UrbanBounca

UrbanBounca Rescue Squad Staff Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

Is everyone having the problem running the stock software? I'm running a ROM and don't have the problem.
  7. DrFeelgood

DrFeelgood New Member

This happened to me when I got a phone call the screen wouldn't light up until I restarted the phone and the call didn't show up in the call log.

Sent from my DROID2
  8. Taegost

Taegost New Member

I have quirky little issues like this if I don't reboot my phone every 2-3 days. I'll get random freezes, issues turning the screen on, and funky internet problems.
  9. kevron99

kevron99 New Member

I had my d2g for about 2 weeks now and I do not have this problem until 2 days ago. My screen just turn off or blank repeatedly several times. Then for about 5 minutes of turning on and screen shuts off back and forth...... The issue will disappear and phone will work normally then ocasioonally the screen turn off again and issue reappear.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App
  10. DrFeelgood

DrFeelgood New Member

Am I the only one thats had this issue with phone calls?
  11. kevron99

kevron99 New Member

No you are not alone. I have the same problem too. Mine is when someone calls me and I answer the screen black and will not turn on no matter what you do with unless I press the switch that turns the phone on. The switch on the top right corner. I am now thinking of returning the phone. But I love this phone

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App
  12. David5950

David5950 New Member

Droid 2 Shutting Off

I have a Droid 2, and it does the same thing. Very intermittent problem, that Verizon claims they know nothing about - yet I see lots of posts that indicate I'm not the only one with this issue. Sometimes it occurs when I'm in the middle of doing something, anything, like listening to music, or using a crossword app. Other times I will manually turn off the screen, and alas, when I try to turn it on again it does not come to life! I have noticed - sometimes, if the ambient lighting is just so - that I can see that the screen appears to be "active," the icons and such are visible, barely - but the screen will not light up, and the "touch" feature of the touch screen is inoperative. Sometimes if I hold down the power switch for an extended time during one of these "blackout" periods, the unit will, as hoped, turn off, other times not and the battery needs to be pulled to "reactivate" the unit. An unacceptable defect, to be sure, but it sounds like it's pretty pervasive amongst Droid owners.
  13. Droid DOES!!

Just a question so please don't gang up on me...just trying to see if there are common behaviors or apps. I see a lot of you reboot daily (recommended) already. Are you using the back key or home key to exit applications?

DroidForums junkie!!
  14. David5950

David5950 New Member

A good question - I think I sometimes exit a program using the "Home" icon, and other times using the back arrow - and sometimes I use the "pull down" feature to, say check e-mail, "overriding" a running program. I should try and take note of any possible correlation between program exit method and screen shut down/lockup.
  15. Droid DOES!!

Whew! I was expecting to get laid out! Haha!!
    To explain further about the difference in the two keys: the home key will leave an application open AND running in the background with a higher priority than others.
    The back key will leave the application open but no longer running, with a lower priority. After a short period of not being used, or if another application needs the resources, it will be shut down. This is how Android manages applications and also why task killers are unnecessary.
    Basically, what could be happening is that the OS has too many "running" applications with a "no shut down priority" so it shuts down (reboots) to shut them all down itself. If any of you know anything about amplifiers, this would be just like amp going into "protection".

DroidForums junkie!!
  16. a_husband21

a_husband21 New Member

Interesting!!! I will keep that in mind. I have been wondering if the home/back button actually shut down an application. Thanks
  17. FoxKat

FoxKat DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Folks, I did experience this on my D2, but only after having it for about 2 months. I called Verizon last week to explain the problem and the rep immediately said it was a known problem related to the power button. I suggested it could be an app I was running, and said I'd be happy to do a hard reset, but he said that wouldn't be necessary. Motorola is aware of the problem and their instructions to Verizon is to replace any phones which exhibit this symptom. He then proceeded to ship me out a new phone, which I received Tuesday.

As it was explained to me, apparently there's a sort of "watchdog" process built into the phone (term stolen from a responder to this same issue on another thread). I'm not sure if it's hard coded into the processor or if it's a foundation level process that runs, but it watches to see if the power button is pushed or if the keyboard slider is opened (along with perhaps hundreds if not thousands of other potential status changes), and then looks to see if the screen responds. First, if it doesn't see the two happen one right after the other, it then tries to start up the screen itself. It may try this several times for all I know - it makes sense. This explains why the screen will wake on its own sometimes upto half a minute or more after unsuccessful button presses or keyboard openings. Second, if it still doesn't see the screen respond after a time-out period (could be 1 minute?), then it does a self-initiated reboot. You will notice the self-initiated reboot never shows the White M (Motorola logo), but starts from a Black screen and goes right to the Droid eye animation.

This is apparently some kind of fail-safe mechanism, not unlike a forced reboot on a Windows based PC when the operating system becomes unstable, and it is the phone's attempt to resume normal operation, hand back control to the user, and (hopefully) resolve whatever was hanging the phone up in the first place. Perhaps those well versed in Linux can contribute a better (or more correct) explanation than my novice's representation.

Now, what actually caused the hang which results in the above? Well, I have yet to identify it. Perhaps armed with the knowledge above someone can drill down to the root cause and let us all know. It could be the issue mentioned regarding whether you use the back button or home button to leave an app, thereby leaving too many running processes. It could be a conflict between any two specific apps, or it could be a conflict in interrupts. Well, I am speculating at this point, but the new phone doesn't do the same thing...yet, so I am at least pleased of that.
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  18. tiesto

tiesto New Member

I have a similar problem sometimes, my screen will turn on and off quickly a bunch of times and then when I unlock it, the phone just starts opening random apps. Hasn't happened recently so maybe it stopped. Dont know what it was though...
  19. TooClose

TooClose New Member

I can verify this ^ When I first purchased my D2 I always used the home button to exit applications. I took the phone back to the store and the rep advised me to use the "back" arrow to exit the apps instead of the home key. I have been doing this for about a week now and I have not had the issue since. Hopefully it's not dumb luck.
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  20. FoxKat

FoxKat DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Tiesto, the problems you are having sound like what some (including myself) have experienced while the phone is connected to a non-Motorola charger. My charger next to my bed is a third-party charger and although it does charge the phone properly and doesn't cause any issues otherwise, if I try to use the phone while connected (which I rarely do), it acts very strangely. Sometimes the screen will scroll up and down sporatically while I have my finger on one spot. It will also open, jump from and to, and close applications as though it has a mind of its own.

If I disconnect the charger, the phone immediately becomes 100% compliant and operates exactly as expected. Connect the charger and the flakiness comes right back. This also happened with a non-Motorola/Verizon car adapter, but I eliminated that adapter and don't experience the problem in the car anymore.

I believe the issue is RF interference and the third-party charger not being well filtered for line noise or other "digital" interference. Since the circuitry is microscopically small and extremely compacted in the space what would normally not be an issue for other electronic components becomes critical for these miniature computers.

Just a thought.
Search tags for this page
droid 2 global turn off screen lock screen unresponsive
droid 2 touch screen unresponsive

droid 2 unresponsive

droid incredible 2 blank unresponsive