Droid 2 to RAZR Maxx

Redsnk95

Reaction score
I currently have a Droid 2, have had it since March 2010. This is a work phone so options are extremely limited. Our IT Department is pro-Apple so everyone gets iPhones. The IT lady actually had to look up to see what android phones were approved, turns out the only choices are the Incredible 2 or Razr Maxx. I was actually impressed that the Razr Maxx is approved. The IT dept said I am due for an upgrade when my Droid 2 starts acting up again. I have a couple of questions:

1) What is the battery life like? I've read the Maxx has a stout battery life. This is important to me being on-call for work.

2) Is Android ICS still current for the phone...any word on JB will be available? This being a work phone I do not plan to root.

It was difficult explaining to the IT group that all my external accounts are through Google and that use Google Drive file sharing quite a bit. I have a Xoom tablet I use for work stuff as well. Going to iPhone would be a big step back for me...I'd rather keep my Droid 2 then do that.

Anything else I should know?

Thanks,
Troy

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Welcome to the forum Troy!

The Maxx has extremely good battery life - I can easily get 16 hours with moderate use (screen on time, calls, web, text, etc)...the phone OS is currently ICS and no word on when JB will be available as an OTA update...

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Welcome aboard :) I love the maxx... what ^^ she said

smokeyrd

Reaction score
I have the Maxx and am in a similar situation as you...except I AM the IT dept and I wont let an iPhone on my network. Let me tell you how much that irritated a couple of the people here when I took their iPhones away...until they realized how much more they can do on these phones. Anyhow...
1) Battery Life is excellent. Ive had some days where I forget to plug in and even after my night-time syncs and backups, the phone still lasts until midway through the next day without dieing. That being said, my usage is relatively low on the device while I am at work and I work 12+ hrs/day...not much time to screw around on my phone.

2) ICS is still the standard for the maxx...i havent seen anything about JB yet and wouldnt expect it for some time still.

Other than that, I love this phone and compare it to my old Bionic with the extended battery. Its a tweak faster but other than that i really dont notice much of a difference.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Ditto here. 20 hours between charges (3 hours to charge) hammer the #!$# out of it.

OP
R

Redsnk95

Reaction score
That's great news on the battery life. I can go about 12-14 hours on my Droid2 before needing a charge. That's unfortunate about JB, on when it will be could be coming out. I'm loving JB on my Xoom...very awesome. But I will admit anything would be better than Gingerbread that I am running on my Droid2. If I was confident that a Nexus would be approved I would wait for that as an option but it appears our IT department is pretty narrow minded on the phones. I probably need to take what I can get.

Thanks for the quick replies, maybe I can swing this in the near future.

OP
R

Redsnk95

Reaction score
I have the Maxx and am in a similar situation as you...except I AM the IT dept and I wont let an iPhone on my network. Let me tell you how much that irritated a couple of the people here when I took their iPhones away...until they realized how much more they can do on these phones. Anyhow...
1) Battery Life is excellent. Ive had some days where I forget to plug in and even after my night-time syncs and backups, the phone still lasts until midway through the next day without dieing. That being said, my usage is relatively low on the device while I am at work and I work 12+ hrs/day...not much time to screw around on my phone.

2) ICS is still the standard for the maxx...i havent seen anything about JB yet and wouldnt expect it for some time still.

Other than that, I love this phone and compare it to my old Bionic with the extended battery. Its a tweak faster but other than that i really dont notice much of a difference.

Yea I love the freedom of Android and customization etc. The iPhone is ok for simplicity, my wife loves hers. I will probably be rooting my Xoom in the near future, I really enjoying playing around with what can be done in Android.

NCCamper

Reaction score
Hi,

I just made the same switch from a D2 to the Razr Maxx. Battery life is incredible. I am in an iWorld around here, but droids are approved, so I went with the Maxx, which came with ICS. I am loving it so far. I could probably go almost 2 days without recharge. The Maxx has been very stable for me, with none of the issues I have read about here.

Good luck!

GoBears

Reaction score
I had the D2 also. Get the Maxx. It's so much better in every regard. D2 battery life is about a third of the Maxx. Honestly I couldn't care less about the JB ota. It's too far off yet to worry about. Latest leak was an update to ICS so maybe that will be the last ICS tweaking before JB development. I hope so anyway.

GoBears and FU Apple

OP
R

Redsnk95

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies everyone. Especially those who had the same phone I am using now.

kevins686

Reaction score
I had the original Droid, and I seem to recall about 12 hours between charges with light to moderate use. Then in May 2011, I upgraded (ha!) to the HTC Thunderbolt, and on an average day, the indicator would be in the yellow in about 5 hours. On the other hand, I've had my Maxx of the charger for about 15 hours now, and with the light to moderate use it's seen today, I'm still at 70%. For the first time in a long time, I don't have to be thinking ahead throughout the day as to howI'm going to keep my phone running.

ms4teacher

Reaction score
1. Awesome battery life 2. ICS is simple and rock solid. 3. Motorola radio is second to none...With that said make sure you calibrate the batteries meter to get better life. I also heard that the .215 leak extends battery life but I have yet to attempt. Good luck...

Sent from my RAZR MAXX using Droid Forums

Bilgediver

Reaction score
I had the droid 2 global, the only thing i miss is all the spare batteries i have for it. Otherwise i love my razr maxx. If we don't get jb, it won't be the end of the world for me.

Sent from My Droid RAZR MAXX with Tapatalk.

OP
R

Redsnk95

Reaction score
I received the Droid Razr Maxx today. What a big difference going from the Droid 2 to this. It came with 4.0.4 installed and ready to go. I will do some more adjustments tonight but so far it is very nice. Just need to get use the bigger size of the phone.

NCCamper

Reaction score
Excellent choice! I am still loving the Maxx. I just picked up a Lapdock 100 for Droid Razr's, for $50 (originally like $249). With Webtop 3.0, it basically has turned the Maxx into a Droid tablet, with a keyboard. Awesome.

Good luck!