Droid 2 tether problem

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Mikim, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Mikim

Mikim New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Greetings and hello! I just got a droid 2, a significant upgrade from my flip phone... Seriously, this thing rocks... but im having issues tethering it to my laptop. Let me start with what i've tried. Also its worth noting that I want to tether via usb, not wifi.

Easytether. I wouldn't mind coughing up ten bucks for it but when installing on the computer end it tells me that I need vista service pack 1. Poking around on the internet I've found a few others with the same issue but no resolutions to the problem so I've given up on that.

Proxoid. Following several step by step guides I always get hung up in the same place. Installing phone drivers on the computer when the phone is plugged in. I browse to the file required but when I click okay, it tells me that windows can't find driver software for my device.

Im a little tech savvy, but not obviously not enough so. Im speculating that the issue is the android_usb.inf file. I had opened it up in notepad and looked through it alittle. I found what I think is a list of android phones, but it is void of any droid 2 listings. Is that my issue? Do I have to add a droid 2 listing so windows knows that inf is the right file?
    I've tried to find information but the droid 2 is new and im not coming up with anything. I want to avoid rooting my droid if possible.

Anyway that's my problem with any revelent information I can think of off the top of my head. Can anyone out there help me out?

Edit: I just noticed that there is a more appropriate droid 2 hacking fourm to post this thread in, but I'm currently posting on my droid. I'll post there when I get off work and get access to a computer. My bad gentlemen.

#1 Mikim, Aug 21, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  2. ashkev843

ashkev843 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Have you tried pdanet? It's free on the market to try and have never had issues with it.

3. Mikim

Mikim New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh.. Wow.. Yeah, works great. I was avoiding this because I thought you had to pay 30 bucks for it...

Well, you did say free to try, yeah? So does that mean they are going to refuse service to me at some point until I cough that up?

4. yurdle

yurdle Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Check out azilink... its not a market app but google it... takes a bit of work to set it up the first time but once you figure it out its easy to use.

Oh and its completely free... no fee ever :)

Sent from my Droid X

Search tags for this page

droid 2 tethering