Droid 2 Software Update 4.5.601 Installation Fail

tswag

Reaction score
So i rooted my droid 2 a few weeks ago because i wanted to change my notification bar and my unlock slider, so now i have a white and black notification bar and black unlock sliders and a different boot up animation screen. Well Sept. 1st the 4.5.601 update came out which completely changes the phone, when i tried to install it it failed, i unrooted my phone, failed. i deleted all the rooted files i used to change the lock screen and notification and boot animation off my SDcard and it still failed...i factory reset my phone under settings and it failed, and i did the hard reset while holding the power button and x etc. that way of doing it and it failed. after the 2 factory resets it still fails and the notification bar and unlock sliders are still the same as i had it when it was rooted, how do i get them back to stock? so i can atleast go in to verizon and get a new droid 2....and possibly how can i get the update to work? any info would be appreciated. thanks.

also when i try to root it again the same as i di before it doesnt work.

Last edited:
OP
tswag

tswag

Reaction score
What does sbf mean?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

OP
tswag

tswag

Reaction score
alright but i have no idea how to reset it, i dont understand all the stuff its talking about...do you know an easy way to do it or a link that explains it in detail for idiots like me to understand? i just want to atleast get rid of the root changes i made so i can atleast pass it through verizon.

OP
tswag

tswag

Reaction score
Alright thanks man, hopefully that will work! Im so annoyed.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

OP
tswag

tswag

Reaction score
it worked!!! thank you so much haha i just had to factory reset my phone to get the update to be available but it worked!!!!

OP
tswag

tswag

Reaction score
one last question. is my phone okay to take into the verizon store if anything goes wrong?

gioviat

Reaction score
if you have no Superuser icon your good.. just beware of the evidence of your SD Card ;). Remove SD Card first and you should be fine.

OP
tswag

tswag

Reaction score
alright thats what i thought, but when i went to about phone under settings i thought it looked a lil different, just trying to be cautious!

gioviat

Reaction score
if you want to be 100% sure just sbf flash the firmware on your phone.. it's really easy.

netwerk23

Reaction score
How I resovled it

I have a Droid2, rooted, and the 4.5.601 update failed to install for me. I tried lots of stuff, rerooting, unrooting, using Z4 instead of doRoot but was getting frustrated because it always failed.

What ended up working for me was to rename the bloatware back. When I first rooted the phone I renamed several apps to .BAK that I didn't want appearing/running. These included the VZ Navigator, Blockbuster, skype, Amazon MP3, and a few others. I used an elevated terminal session to rename them from .bak to .apk (using command mv, as in mv Blockbuster.bak Blockbuster.apk) then rebooting. Once the apps were back to OEM names, the 4.5.601 update installed no problem. I didn't even have to unroot.

Just posting this in case it helps someone else.
Thanks

gioviat

Reaction score
I have a Droid2, rooted, and the 4.5.601 update failed to install for me. I tried lots of stuff, rerooting, unrooting, using Z4 instead of doRoot but was getting frustrated because it always failed.

What ended up working for me was to rename the bloatware back. When I first rooted the phone I renamed several apps to .BAK that I didn't want appearing/running. These included the VZ Navigator, Blockbuster, skype, Amazon MP3, and a few others. I used an elevated terminal session to rename them from .bak to .apk (using command mv, as in mv Blockbuster.bak Blockbuster.apk) then rebooting. Once the apps were back to OEM names, the 4.5.601 update installed no problem. I didn't even have to unroot.

Just posting this in case it helps someone else.
Thanks
Didn't think of that but it makes sense unhiding the bloatware.. i did the whole sbf flash.. but thanks for the update.