1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Droid 2 Simultaneous Voice/Data

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 2' started by markml0528, Jan 26, 2011.

1. markml0528

markml0528 New Member

Yes, I used the search function, this thread doesn't exist.

Onto my topic now....would this just require a change in verizon's network computers? Or will all Verizon's 3G phones (or at least the droid 2) be able to use simultaneous voice and data once verizon makes the switch? I'm just wondering if it will be backwards compatible with current 3G phones, or only new 3G phones.

I'd like some sources, I haven't seen any sites that clarify whether this will be applied to all phones or just new 3G phones.

EDIT: To clarify, Verizon is upgrading their network to handle simultaneous voice and data on their 3G network, will all current 3G phones be able to do simultaneous voice/data when this is implemented?

If my understanding is correct, Verizon is going to be making a change to their cellular base stations, to allow all (i hope, i really don't know) 3G phones on their network the ability to use voice and data at the same time.

EDIT: To any non believers - http://techcrunch.com/2010/10/08/verizon-iphone-talk-surf/
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  2. want a droid

want a droid New Member

Once Verizon switches to what? They are, and to the best of my knowledge, will stay a CDMA network company.
  3. jaycemiskel

jaycemiskel New Member

No. Unless you have an LTE device you'll never be able to do simultaneous voice and data. Also, not all LTE phones will be capable of it either.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  4. markml0528

markml0528 New Member

neither of you understood what I was saying. Verizon is staying a CDMA carrier, i know that. when they make the switch to do simultaneous voice and data with their current 3G service is what i was talking about. right now, you can't do simultaneous voice and data with 3G on verizon. I'm not sure if it might be the same thing for Sprint, anyone care to comment?

@jaycemiskel, that's not true. if you do a google search you will see that verizon is indeed going to implement simultaneous voice/data for its current 3G network. what the articles fail to acknowledge is whether that will be backwards compatible with all current 3G devices, or if it will only be compatible with new 3G devices
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  5. spaz33g

spaz33g Rescue Squad

The only phone I've heard that will be able to take advantage of voice and data simultaneously is the thunderbolt. Not sure what will enable it to do so but I have a feeling it won't be backward compatible. It would be nice though.

tappin and a talkin
  6. want a droid

want a droid New Member

CDMA networks aren't capable of simultaneous voice and data. Point me in the direction of a credible source that says a CDMA network will be able to do simultaneous voice and data.
  7. spaz33g

spaz33g Rescue Squad

8. markml0528

markml0528 New Member

9. want a droid

want a droid New Member

Thanks guys. This is new information to me. Interesting enough, the last bit states:

"however, we cannot promise the experience will be one that is consistent with our brand."
  10. markml0528

markml0528 New Member

This was back in October. As you can see, they haven't implemented it for any of our phones. It would really suck if it were only available to new 3G phones. I'm really just hoping their cell base stations just need software upgrades, along with our phones as well.
  11. want a droid

want a droid New Member

Most likely something like this would only be implemented on new phones.
  12. jaycemiskel

jaycemiskel New Member

The technology for this has been around for a while. It's called SVDO. I wouldn't hold my breath for Verizon implementing it though. It's also not compatible with current devices from what I've read because there was speculation that the iPhone 4 would support it, but it doesn't. It would make no sense to start rolling this out when they're working on putting LTE out. I wasn't saying it wasn't possible at all but just that it isn't possible on Verizon. I'm pretty sure if Verizon was going to do this then more than just that one website would have picked it up. Plus Verizon would probably be like our next iPhone will support talking and data at the same time. Just my opinion though.

13. Khiraji

Khiraji Member

Wait a minute... isn't the lack of simultaneous voice+data a limitation of CDMA, not our phones? I mean, it's probably possible to develop a "workaround" (the technical details of which are likely far beyond any of us), but given that it's taken this long for VZW to even hint of working on this makes me think that it's no easy task.

As for the Thunderbolt being able to do it, it's probably not a real "fix" but rather a way of achieving the desired results but in a non-ideal way (that is, a local software "fix" rather than changes to the wireless network that the phone uses).

But, then again, I'm not a wireless network engineer.
  14. spaz33g

spaz33g Rescue Squad

If you read that second link they talk about it being a limitation of cdma but one that could potentially be overcome. Again I'm unsure of the details exactly but its something.

tappin and a talkin
  15. markml0528

markml0528 New Member

I believe Verizon, the biggest cdma carrier in the world (I don't feel like looking it up), has approached whatever group is in charge of cdma to change the technical aspects of it in order to separate the way voice and data are organized by the phones radios.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App
  16. jaycemiskel

jaycemiskel New Member

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  17. Khiraji

Khiraji Member

Hmmm. SVDO, hadn't heard of that before. Very interesting! Here's hoping Big Red is busily working behind the scenes on it.
  18. dankarlinski

dankarlinski Guest

Is it really important to check your email while you are on the phone with someone? I had att for a few years, and I NEVER used the feature. Had no need to

From my Liberated Droid 2 (Liberty v 1.0)
  19. jaycemiskel

jaycemiskel New Member

I don't really think it's important either. Plus, I just don't see Verizon wasting money on this when they're working on rolling out LTE which can accomplish the same thing.

20. spaz33g

spaz33g Rescue Squad

I have to admit, its not an issue that really tops my list but there have been a few times where I was on the phone with a friend discussing what we wanted to do, somebody says "hey what about a movie? " so I go to check my movie times app. No can do.

It wouldn't be a game change or anything but it would be nice.

tappin and a talkin
Search tags for this page

droid incredible 2 simutanious

simultaneous talk and data on verizon

verizon htc incredible 2 talk on phone voice and data simult