Droid 2 SD card not working

Uber_Tiny

Reaction score
I have issues with the SD card that came with this bad boy. For some odd reason, soon after it boots up and mounts the SD card it just disappears. The card is readable in other devices. I can even place a different SD card in the phone and it never disappears. It's gotten to a point to where once the card no longer shows up, no matter how many times I reseat it, it just doesn't show up at all any more. I can format the card and it shows up in the droid for a very short amount of time and then rinse and repeat.

I really have no gripe over this since things like a bad card can happen. I have a small one that is not being used to replace it for now. Should I just contact Verizon to get a new card or is there some magical trick to get it working again?

Last edited:

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
:welcome: to the forum! Yes I'd just return it to Verizon. Sounds like a lemon to me. Good luck!

OP
Uber_Tiny

Uber_Tiny

Reaction score
:welcome: to the forum! Yes I'd just return it to Verizon. Sounds like a lemon to me. Good luck!
Thank you for the welcome and that is what I figured. Thought I would ask just in case there was some sort of trick though.

OP
Uber_Tiny

Uber_Tiny

Reaction score
Just an update to this issue.

After contacting Verizon, it appears that if you are actually having issues with the SD card that came with the phone you will need to contact San Disk directly for a warranty replacement. Warranty on the SD card is not handled by Verizon. It is a 5 year warranty to if any of you wanted to know.

EDIT: DON'T CALL THIS PLACE UNLESS IT SAYS SAN DISK ON THE CARD OR YOU WILL GET RUDE CUSTOMER SERVICE. /sigh

San Disk contact info:
1-866-726-3475
Monday-Friday
8am-7pm Pacific Time

Last edited:

Jedidr0id

Reaction score
Hey Uber_tiny. I actually have similar problems with the sd card. I have my music on it and sometimes when I play I get the error message "audio file not found" and I have to reboot the phone again and it plays. I suspected it's the sd card but I'm planning to buy and class 10 card. I might look to replace it. Let us know how the replace process goes.

OP
Uber_Tiny

Uber_Tiny

Reaction score
Guess I got my hopes up on this one. Come to find out, it's not an San Disk card. It's actually not branded by any certain company. It just happens to read Micro SD HC 8GB on it. According to San Disk, it will have their name on it. So, back to Verizon I go. This time I am going to a store and I am not leaving till I get a new one.

Oh and I might add that if you do call San Disk, expect the customer service rep to be very nice when grabbing all your information and as soon as they find out that it is not their product they switch it up to a very very rude and very nasty attitude.

OP
Uber_Tiny

Uber_Tiny

Reaction score
Yet another update...

Called up Verizon and they were just about to send out a new card when a supervisor ditched the idea and told me that the phone may need to be replaced if there is a card reader issue. I tried to explain to the guy that another card works, the card reader works, my card works in the unit, the SD card you sent is bad, ect... He would have nothing to do with it and said I need to take the phone back in to the store. :icon_rolleyes:

Now before you read on, I was very polite to the Verizon rep and I respect the decision and was going to take it in to a store and get either a new phone or a new card. Really didn't matter at this point. I just want it to work.

So before hauling my self down to the store to get a new card...or phone, I decided to play around with the card one last time. Please note, this is after the latest update to the phone's OS released on the 20th.

The card works... :icon_eek:

It just mysteriously started working like nothing ever happen. However, I did notice that when you plug in the phone via USB the card disappears and shows it as missing in the phone. Look in the PC and of course it shows up there as it should. At this point I realized that before the latest update the card was not being recognized and mounting it's self when the USB cord was disconnected. AFTER the latest update, the card works perfectly fine. I have unplugged the USB cord numerous times, removed and plugged the card back in numerous times and I cannot recreate the issue at all. I actually transferred a movie to the phone and it played back very nice.

As for the other card actually working during this debacle, yes that is true for the most part. I actually had a couple instances of my card vanishing as well since I made this thread. However, I had been using the power adapter to charge my phone rather than the USB cord and the couple times the issue happened was when I did plug it in through USB.

So apparently there was a bug with the card not mounting/appearing in the phone after USB disconnect and the latest OS update fixed the issue. :i-m_so_happy:

lee_pedro

Reaction score
I have had similar issues. After the updates last week I have not yet noticed the card not showing up...

BUT, when I plug into my USB at my computer the card shows Total space and Available space as "unavailable". Is this how it should be?

Edit: I just went into "files" from my apps and it says memory card is missing. Please insert to view files.

Last edited:
OP
Uber_Tiny

Uber_Tiny

Reaction score
I have had similar issues. After the updates last week I have not yet noticed the card not showing up...

BUT, when I plug into my USB at my computer the card shows Total space and Available space as "unavailable". Is this how it should be?

Edit: I just went into "files" from my apps and it says memory card is missing. Please insert to view files.
Mine shows up saying Total and Available space as unavailable when I have it plugged in through USB, but comes back when not plugged in via USB. Pretty sure that is normal.

lee_pedro

Reaction score
That's exactly what I'm seeing.

I tried changing it to "charge only" on USB and the card size showed up, but then it didn't even charge. Very strange.