Droid 2, running 2.2, stock, no root, WiFi not working

superflydean

Reaction score
I am really a pretty new user. I have been an iPhone guy for years but had enough of AT&T. I went down to Verizon to pick up a Droid 2, took it home, and could not for the life of me get the thing to work on my WiFi.

I am using WPA2, with a PSK on the router. I can see the IP address that is given to the device from the router. The Droid 2 has the correct DHCP address. It looks from the router perspective that it is giving the Droid 2 access.

But for some reason when there's no 3G available (it's spotty inside my house). I can't do ANYTHING on the Internet. I do not believe the WiFi is being used, even though it appears that it should be able to.

Since I'm a pretty new user, is there any setting somewhere on the Droid 2 that I'm missing? I can see the little WiFi signal strength indicator and it's all the way up. Still can't get it to work. Any basic tips?

EDIT: Note also I found out that when I shut off the WiFi, the 3G network kicks in more consistently. Really would rather use my WiFi though...

Last edited:

WoZzY

The GRD Dev Team
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I have a droid 1 but I will try my best here .......gO INTO SETTINGS INTO WIRELESS make sure wifi is on...if that is done already put the phone in airplane mode then try turning off airplane mode off see if that helps........................... if not this worked on my droid one I dont know what type of router you have but I have a cisco linksys i had to push down a the middle button down for it to accept my phone on the wireless network after that it remembered my phone

WoZzY

The GRD Dev Team
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
also try going to your desktop/laptop & navigating to your routers set up page you might have to add your droid 2 manaully to your network

OP
S

superflydean

Reaction score
Nope and nope. My router recognizes and gives the device an address. Also, all of my other devices work fine (laptop, PS3, etc...). I even changed the password so in case there was some kind of formatting error or something, and still everything else could go out to the Internet but the Droid 2 could not. My iPhone never had this problem.

Anyone else with some info?

gatewayad

Reaction score
This seems to be a problem with many people, but to my surprise I called Verizon and they said they have not heard any complaints about the wifi. Told me to do a Factory Data Reset, guess what no help.

foofoo

Reaction score
try and change your router from AES encryption to TKIP and it should start working.

okmista

Reaction score
I am really a pretty new user. I have been an iPhone guy for years but had enough of AT&T. I went down to Verizon to pick up a Droid 2, took it home, and could not for the life of me get the thing to work on my WiFi.

I am using WPA2, with a PSK on the router. I can see the IP address that is given to the device from the router. The Droid 2 has the correct DHCP address. It looks from the router perspective that it is giving the Droid 2 access.

But for some reason when there's no 3G available (it's spotty inside my house). I can't do ANYTHING on the Internet. I do not believe the WiFi is being used, even though it appears that it should be able to.

Since I'm a pretty new user, is there any setting somewhere on the Droid 2 that I'm missing? I can see the little WiFi signal strength indicator and it's all the way up. Still can't get it to work. Any basic tips?

EDIT: Note also I found out that when I shut off the WiFi, the 3G network kicks in more consistently. Really would rather use my WiFi though...

Any resolution here?

I just switched to D2 from D1 after a slew of problems since 2.2 upgrade. I've has D2 for about two days and noticed a few things including shoddy wifi connection. The reason why I suspect it's the D2 and not my wifi connections is

1. With my D1, I've never had this problem where I'm connected to wifi @ full strength and can't browse the internet.
2. My husband has a iPhone4 and he can utilize our wifi at the same time with no problem.
3. Full strength signal indcated @ the top.

Also I noticed that when this happens, I try to reboot wifi, at which point it kicks in 3G and when the wifi reboots, it works ok for a bit then the connection drops off. As I was trying to connect to reply to this thread and my wifi wasn't working. I'm convinced it's the phone...I just wonder if it's all phones OR we are just knowledgeable owners who know or suspect a crap phone. I'm pretty sure it isn't your wifi or your password.

On another note, I hate how there are random applications run in the background and there is nothing I can do about them. I can't even uninstall the apps (skype, social media, etc)