Droid 2 rooted! Now what?

RSP

Reaction score
Hi all, I just rooted my new droid 2. I'm quite familiar with linux filesystems and terminal use, in that my server runs debian linux. Is far as I understand, android runs on the linux kernal, however I never got into any android developing, in that I never had any... until now! So what is there really to do after gaining root priveleges on my droid2? I don't really understand what I do, or what I can do. I heard about getting rid of those goshdarn bloat preloaded apps, but im not sure how to approach things as a new droid2 root user.
Any help is commended. Thanks:)
Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

lizard

Reaction score
This may seem like a dumb question, but why did you root your phone if you didn't know what you could do?

First thing you should do is make a nandroid backup. Download and install bootstrap recovery from market for d2 not dx. This will let you flash alternate recovery image or roms or update.zips. Some people download and install titanium backup to freeze bloated apps if you're not ready for a blurless rom, and to back up apps and app data. If you're gonna be modding your phone you need to locate the current sbf file for your phone and download it as well as the current version of rsd lite, which is what you will use to flash sbf to recover you phone to stock if you soft brick it.

After I rooted, I installed a blurrless rom. Then I added some mods by the developer to enable some sexy page transitions like page flip and lowering my lock bar on the lock screen and disabling haptic features to the extent possible. You can also do themes, and you can overclock too.

Sure I left a lot out just trying to give a little information without giving too much. Important thing is know how to backup/restore,and sbf before messing around. Read up on this stuff. Best time to ask questions is before you run into trouble. If you have questions be sure to post in the proper forum.

Best of luck.

4856747d-4181-268c.jpg
4856747d-4192-b299.jpg
4856747d-41e7-3e56.jpg

Sent from my Squidlied Droid2 using Droid Forums app.....

OP
R

RSP

Reaction score
I downloaded the "rom manager" app which is made by the same people that make the bootstrap recovery app. It allows me to flash a backup in rom manager, is this all I need? Is or there something that bootstrap recovery has that rom manager doesn't?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

lizard

Reaction score
Rom manager is like an overlay to bootstrapper. You can use bootstrap recovery independent of rom mgr, but not the other way around.

Sent from my Squidlied Droid2 using Droid Forums app.....

Rizzy99

Reaction score
If you didn't know what you would want to do once you rooted, i guess just go make a sandwich and call it a day.

Just kidding...do a lot of reading before you go messing around. I was rooted a month before i felt ok digging around and flashing my first ROM