Droid 2 Root

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by burkechrs1, Aug 18, 2010.

1. burkechrs1

burkechrs1 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just switched from att to verizon and got the droid 2. I've been trying to find a root for it but am kind of lost. Easyroot doesn't work for the droid 2 yet and I don't know what else it out there. Is there even a root for it yet? If so how do I do it?

I keep seeing roots for differend FRG builds but my build is 2.2 VZW? What the heck is the difference.

Thanks in advance

2. jmart8684

jmart8684 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    There isn't a root for the Droid 2 yet. The devs need to find the exploit first. Looking at the Droid X, they also need a way to bypass the bootloader, which block putting on custom roms, and not fully done yet like the original Droid.

Droid X is rooted, and custom recovery installed using an app call Bootstrap, by koush and i think birdman. From what I read, the recovery is temporary, and deleted automatically on boot up, and gives access to just /system files, as opposed to the Droid 1 access to the kernel, /cache, /boot, /system, /data, which is pretty much the complete system.

Hope I didn't confuse you too much, and hopefully, the Droid 2 will be rooted soon.

and if you want to read about the droid x recovery app, http://www.koushikdutta.com/2010/08/droid-x-recovery.html

#2 jmart8684, Aug 18, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  3. burkechrs1

burkechrs1 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No I followed that thanks. I hope its rooted soon. The original droid was so much better rooted and with the updated processor and hardware in the droid 2 it should be a pretty awesome phone once it's rooted. I don't really understand what rom's do so thats not a big deal to me.. yet.. but i really hope a root comes out soon.

4. BrandenStoll

BrandenStoll New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No offense...Do what you want and all, but I HIGHLY suggest you read this article before attempting to root your Droid 2. The dangers of rooting your Android phone – Android and Me

Droid 2 also uses the eFuse technology. With that said, making modifications like this could PERMANENTLY cripple your phone.

(Wikipedia) eFUSE is a technology invented by IBM which allows for the dynamic real-time reprogramming of computer chips. Speaking abstractly, computer logic is generally 'etched' or 'hard-coded' onto a chip and cannot be changed after the chip has finished being manufactured. By utilizing an eFUSE (or more realistically, a number of individual eFUSEs), a chip manufacturer can allow for the circuits on a chip to change while it is in operation.

I plan on rooting my Droid 2 (stupidly) only to remove the bloatware, and then un-root when it is available. THATS IT. Get in, get out. Good Luck!

5. Randomocity

Randomocity Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I figure it wont be long before the droid2 is rooted. Really, with this many people working on the X bootloader, it wont be long before they're all cracked.

@BrandenStoll

For the love of christ, stop spreading misinformation. You posted a year old article that provides as much useful information as saying: "ZOMG you should totally leave Windows User Account Control on and never turn it off!!!!!"

Sure, rooting has risks, just like getting out of bed every morning. The efuse bull**** has been debunked so many times that it makes my eyes bleed every time that someone bothers to mention it. The droid 1 has the efuse technology built in, and look how much good that did? Same with the Droid X. Give it a rest.

@burkechrs1: Root will happen soon, the phone's barely been out 2 weeks. Just be patient and you'll get the root access you're looking for.

6. BrandenStoll

BrandenStoll New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Uhhh...You say this is misinformation?!?! Considering the source, and the posts after, I would say your DEAD WRONG. Its OK, no need to get your panties in a bunch...but, could you explain to us all why we should root the phone? Other than to delete bloatware, over clock (which is just stupid, I mean really, its a phone!?), and tether illegally, please explain to me why people should root their droid phones? The article is still a very good article and not quite a year old yet...LOL (I can read the date).

Other than to make some serious changes, especially people that have no experience with Linux and have the potential to really screw something up should not be playing with root. There are way too many shady apps (even in the marketplace). This phone is awesome and doesn't need root to make it any better, in my opinion. Again, being logged in as root leaves you open to serious security risks. Would you do your banking on a rooted phone? I really hope people are not that dumb!

Like I said, I can't wait for root, so I can ditch the crappy bloatware verizon put on this phone. Other than that, the phone is awesome the way it is.

eFuse is for real. Its not BS. All I am saying is please consider the risks when you mod something with eFuse. You could end up with a nice paper weight on your desk or a bill from Motorola. I dare you to install CyanogenMod on a Droid X...Let me know your results!...:)

7. Tanknspank

Tanknspank Beta Team
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The Milestone, Droid, and X all also have an efuse. Have any been bricked over it? No. No need to get all worked up over it at this time.

Sent from my Droid

8. LostRedneck

LostRedneck New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well you explained much of it yourself. First the ability to delete unwanted software from the memory of a device we paid a lot of money for. The same device that was advertised to have a certain amount of memory and storage capacity that is being taken up by software that is both unwanted and unable to be removed without root. That sounds like a bit of mis-advertisement to me.

Second to overclock the device so it runs faster and smoother. Don't mistake
    these things for simply phones. If they were nothing more than phones they would be unable to go on the web, remote into other computers, and the millions of other things that people use these things for. Simply because it can make phone calls too doesn't make it just a phone.

Third, free tethering should not be illegal. We already pay $30 a month for unlimited data on top of whatever our calling plan is isn't that enough? Now they want an extra $20 a month to share that unlimited data with another device? Come on ITS UNLIMITED!! Let us use it!

However on top of those reasons, there are many people myself included that aren't very happy with the way our user interface looks. I hate the UI for the "ninjablur" or whatever Moto is pushing on these phones and Sence from HTC isnt much better. However we cant take that off either, Even if we use Launcher Pro or some other launcher app Those UI's penetrate the entire phone, the menus, the contact lists, the retarded way Moto set up the Gallery, Its all open source from Google and some people like the choice to customize their interfaces. Those that don't would probably be happier with a I*hone

In the end rooting is about freedom. Thats my take on it anyway.

9. Corinacakes

Corinacakes Super Moderator
    Theme Developer

Ratings:
    +3
    Keep it civil people or I'll have to bust out my spankin stick! :D

10. gavron

gavron Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    You can't brick ANY of these phones through software work. That's because the carriers know the monkeys that work for them in their stores need it to work.

I'm going to be civil and politely say BrandenStoll is wrong.

E

11. fish1552

fish1552 Premium Member
    Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Just goes to show you the difference in opinion of the Android users. Some people are content to use it as it is, while there are a number of us that prefer to customize our phones the way we want, with the the storage loaded with what we want, working at the speed we want, etc.
    Some people like to put sequins, fuzzy cloth or covers on their phones. I like to customize mine from the inside.

Had I been told to NOT customize stuff my whole life, I wouldn't know how things work in lot of stuff. I wouldn't have learned to work on cars, how to renovate my house, how to work on computers, how to build web pages, or how to tweak my Android phone. There was a chance my truck wouldn't run, my drywall wouldn't be done right or that my computer could be fried from static electricity. But I wouldn't learn until I tried.

There is ALWAYS some sort of danger in doing anything, but as long as you know the possible outcomes and take step to mitigate those or prepare yourself how to get out of a bind, 99% of misgivings turn out to be unfounded.

12. Codiusprie

Codiusprie Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I stopped reading your post right about there. He posted a valid article with a very good argument about safety and security. I read a ton of post on this forum where people ask "what is root please root my phone for me" and I think jesus, they have no business rooting at all. Seriously, rooting isn't for everyone, frankly I feel like if you can't type "Droid 2 root" into Google and do some research you have no business rooting. Just my thoughts though.

Search tags for this page

droid 2 and root