Droid 2 Root for DX OTA 2.2...

OP
Soupy McD

Soupy McD

Reaction score
I haven't tried or used that method...I don't trust files packaged by other people near a device with as much personal information as my phone has. Try the method on the first post, it might seem intimidating, but if you follow it step by step it will work.

rskap67

Reaction score
Wish I was more savvy with this stuff. I need a one click option. Don't feel like taking a chance bricking my phone.

liferefugee

Reaction score
so, did the root and kept getting hung up after running the .bat file. Turns out, once it kicks you out of the adb shell, you need to type "adb kill-server" followed by "adb start-server". Then you should get your # prompt when you go back into the shell. Just in case your wondering... leave off the " " parts :)

Reaction score
I am getting an error: 'adb' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file? Any help? SDK is installed in Root of C, and Droid2Root is also in root of C. What am I doing wrong here? Assuming it has something to do with location of the SDK vs location of the Droid2Root file? Help would be much appreciated.

zodder

Reaction score
Add the location of your SDK installation to your computer's "path". That way you can run "adb" from any directory

OP
Soupy McD

Soupy McD

Reaction score
Alright Ironman, lets get you set up on ADB step by step.

1. Go to Android Developers website, and download the SDK setup from the link HERE.
2. Unzip the SDK files into the root of your C:\. (So C:\android-sdk-windows is mine)
3. Run SDK Manager, to do this you MUST have Java installed (if you don't Google it).
4. It'll pop up a cmd prompt window, then pop up another window asking you which packages to install. Press 'Accept All' on the right under the list of available installs and let it install.
5. After it is all installed, open up your Start Menu, and right click on Computer. Choose properties.
6. On the left, click Advanced system settings. On the bottom right, click Environmental Variables.
7. Under System variables, click new. Variable name is adb, Variable value is C:\android-sdk-windows\tools
8. Click Ok to exit out of that, and Ok again. And Ok again.
9. Now, go over to your android-sdk-windows folder. Open up tools.
10. Copy adb.exe (first thing listed) and AdbWinApi.dll to your C:\Windows\System32 folder. Now you can run adb from any directory (it's the easy way so when you open cmd prompt you can just press adb devices).
11. Plug in your DX, make sure USB debugging is enabled (this is toggled by going to Settings>Applications>Development).
12. Now lets make sure you have the right ADB drivers installed on your system. Go to Control Panel, click on Device Manager, and you should see an ADB Interface drop down at the top of the devices. If it reads 'Mot Composite ADB Interface' that is the right driver.
13. Lets confirm all this worked! Open Start menu, type 'cmd' in the 'Search programs and files'. Should read C:\Users\(your name or whatever).
14. Type in adb devices (it'll start up daemon), and it should show a list of devices.

Bam! At this point, follow the directions for root, and you can root through ADB. I'm a firm believer of hands on methods for doing stuff...so I prefer doing ADB instead of one-click. Hope this helps!

challer2000

Reaction score
On step 10.

10. Copy adb.exe (first thing listed) and AdbWinApi.dll to your C:\Windows\System32 folder. Now you can run adb from any directory (it's the easy way so when you open cmd prompt you can just press adb devices).

After I copy the files into the system32 folder and I try and run adb in the cmd prompt it tells me " the program can't start beacuse AdbWinApi.dll is missing from your computer." I dont know what else I should do... reinstall it?

OP
Soupy McD

Soupy McD

Reaction score
On step 10.

After I copy the files into the system32 folder and I try and run adb in the cmd prompt it tells me " the program can't start beacuse AdbWinApi.dll is missing from your computer." I dont know what else I should do... reinstall it?

What version of windows are you running? Try copying over the adbusbwinapi.dll or whatever it's called too...that's strange...

challer2000

Reaction score
On step 10.

What version of windows are you running? Try copying over the adbusbwinapi.dll or whatever it's called too...that's strange...

Windows 7 Enterprise, just copied over adbusbwinapi.dll and still have the same problem.

challer2000

Reaction score
Got it to work the .dll files need to be placed in SysWoW64 folder under system 32.

Reaction score
Ok, now I am getting permission denied when I am trying to push superuser??? Any ideas? Getting this just trying to push to the sdcard by the way!?

OP
Soupy McD

Soupy McD

Reaction score
Got it to work the .dll files need to be placed in SysWoW64 folder under system 32.

Bahhhh! You beat me to it hahaha. I just had to reinstall Windows because I accidently (trust me, it's been a long couple days) installed Win7 32-bit (what I had initially). Finally installed a fresh copy of 64-bit and had the same problem. I was all over the internet trying to find solutions ...then saw that directory! Came to post and you got it! Cheers mate! Glad we got this figured out :icon_ banana: