1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

droid 2 processor in droid 1

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by parkaust, Dec 15, 2010.

1. parkaust

parkaust New Member

is it possible to put a droid 2 or droid 2 processor in a droid 1. i understand that some soldering would/might be involved but my question is. would the software/hardware work with either processor
  2. AugmentedFourth

AugmentedFourth New Member

Not knowing any of the specific hardware details, I would say it's probably almost impossible. Reworking such small components on such a dense board would be very time consuming and prone to failure.

Ignoring the aforementioned practical limitations, it might actually be doable. It looks like much of the other hardware stayed the same. As long as the voltages and other io interfaces matched, it would probably work. If there were any new instructions or capabilities above-and-beyond the clock-speed boost, they would probably not be utilized because software would still think it was running on a D1.
  3. Martin030908

Martin030908 Super Moderator

I don't have the experience or expertise to comment, but it would be cool :)
  4. parkaust

parkaust New Member

i was thinking it would be cool to put the cortex a15 processor it runs at 1.5 GHz :blackdroid:
  5. Dave12308

Dave12308 New Member

I don't think it would be possible, these "System on a Chip" chipsets are not a typical processor that plugs into a socket. It is an entire board. You would have to do the equivalent to swapping motherboards in a PC (assuming the internal dimensions are the same and it would actually fit). In then end, you'd have a D2 inside a D1 chassis.
  6. cpjr

cpjr New Member

As stated above, its not a socket chip that "plugs" into the board....so no, you would ruin the board attempting to remove it.
  7. AugmentedFourth

I have seen small Asian women do the most amazing things with those tiny hands and a soldering iron!

Myself...I can barely solder a through-hole dip IC, what with my stubby fingers and espresso-induced shake. That's why my "soldering" is done with a mouse. Thank god for automated assembly! :biggrin:
  8. Bullitt6996

Bullitt6996 New Member

Since the two are nearly identical except for hardware software differences, why not just save the time and pain of figuring that out and buy yourself a D2? Seems the easier choice when you add in cost of the processor and other materials involved. You could even switch the housings and make the D2 look like a D1.
  9. AugmentedFourth

I think this is more of an "academic" discussion than anything else. In the end, like it's been pointed out, the cost/benefit of doing anything that's been suggested just isn't justifiable; Just buying a Droid 2 is obviously the only practical choice.

In this age of ultra-portable, low-power, mass-produced consumer electronics, the design and manufacturing tolerances are so tiny that "hardware modifications", at least at the individual/home-workshop level will continue to become more-and-more difficult. Fortunately the hardware is also becoming "softer", helping to mitigate the need for "hard" mods.

The advantages are obvious and it's nice to see "consumer electronics" in other areas are adopting the "firmware upgrade" philosophy that mobile companies have leveraged for a while. For instance, DirecTV updates my HD receiver with new capabilities fairly often.
  10. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

Problem is that it is not a un-solder / solder back proposition. I haven't seen the system board on a Droid physically but it is my guess that like 99.9% of all new high end electronics that everything is surface mounted. If this is the case then the answer to your question would be, no not a freakin' chance.
  11. Doot

Doot New Member

Yeah, I was wondering about this also.
    I had the droid 2.
    Cracked the digitizer real bad, ordered a new one and they sent me the LCD screen instead. While waiting for the correct part to be sent i got the phone wet and it fried the LCD boards ribbon cable jaw clamp, tried the new LCD screen but the jaw clamp connections were too far gone, when I booted phone the Motorolla logo came up but it was off center and there were some arbitrary lines and colors and the screen would just keep resetting to the Motorola logo.
    So I bought a droid off of Craigslist and was wondering about using the entire CPU unit from the droid 2 in the droid. I haven't taken the Droid apart yet to see if the ribbon cables all match up. Not sure even if they did if this would work given the changes to the interface, the rearranging of the digitizer static buttons and the changed keyboard. Would be cool to try out, I just don't feel like paying for another droid if I **** it up. If anyone has an old Droid they want to send me so I can try it out go ahead... Maybe if you have one that the PCU got fried or something.
    Dunno, Could be interesting...
  12. adsfa34

adsfa34 New Member

I know this might not be 100% relevant to the question asked, but in an "academic" discussion, one has to address the validity of a proposition altogether...

In my opinion, one would gain much more performance from upgrading the RAM in the D1 as opposed to the processor. Sure, the processor could use a boost, but the lack of RAM is really the only shortcoming I will admit of the D1. :)
  13. Coolsaber57

Coolsaber57 New Member

I'll agree to that.

However, with a D1 overclocked to 1ghz you get the same performance, so why would you put a D2 processor in there even if you could?
  14. Doot

Doot New Member

Well I know the droid 2 has a different OS installed, few things included that the original didn't , dlna, some other things, really I wss concerned about my contacts, they weren't backed up online, stupid, I know. I was just curious really, if all the ribbon cables were the same for the digitizer, keyboard and lcd screen it might just plug up...
  15. adsfa34

adsfa34 New Member

The OS is all Android -- the difference is with framework and skin (UI). The OG framework is much leaner. There are few things faster than an optimized "vanilla" android. Blur is top-heavy and requires insane amounts of memory to run "effectively" and is dependency-built (meaning if one piece of blur is removed, it wont operate). If the OG firmware and software were on updated hardware, it would be an unbeatable phone.

I say that because you could theme it to look like blur (it's been done for several roms) without sacrificing framework and thereby speed.
    Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  16. msjohnson2868

msjohnson2868 New Member

Interesting I found this. I have a droid 2 that is water damaged and won't boot. I also have a droid 1 with a b usted screen. So I decided to take the motherboard from the d1 and transplant it in the d2. And.....SUPRISE! It works! I'm actually typing this post now on iyt.

There are a few issues that I've discovered in the five minutes its been running. One is that there is definately a different keyboard mapping thing going on. The search b utton on the d2 is mapped to the @ character. But everything is working fine otherwise as far as I can tell.

Isn't there a Star Wars thing where droids get fixed from various parts from other droids?

Lol...this is an interesting experiment.

:)
  17. estafusisx

estafusisx New Member

Wow... no1 thinks its possible and here's some1 saying its all but fully functional. You took the whole motherboard? Does that includes ram and the 8 gigs(!) Of internal storage from the D2?

18. msjohnson2868

msjohnson2868 New Member

The whole motherboard assembly. Its exactly the same as far as fit and connections.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  19. estafusisx

estafusisx New Member

So basically u have a D2 in a D1 case? Lol that is slightly less impressive i have to say lol but still very cool.

20. msjohnson2868

msjohnson2868 New Member

No...a D1 in a D2 case. :)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Search tags for this page

droid processor