Droid 2 Owners Thread

chuk1005

Reaction score
I was at vzw at 9 waiting on them to open. Got my d1 day it came out and wasavilable for a discount, 320 ..sweeeeeeeeeet. moto blur isn't as intrusive as on x and devour, u can just kinda not use it if u don't want, love built in apps, swype,battery saver,flash. Man from having a d1 since its birthday this feels like the phone should have. Loooooove it. Plz can has root now kthxbyedancedroid

Blur on the X and D2 are identical besides one is running over 2.1 and the other 2.2. But it is less intrusive than the devour.

LT*

Reaction score
Congrats LT, your one of the first on the forum to actually pick one up :)

Thanks! I was there at 8 when they opened and was 5th in line. Four of the others were looking for the D2 as well. Unfortunately I can't play with it yet. I want my wife to go through the sign in process and set up so she knows what she's doing with it. It's very tempting to use it though.

Nice, I bet thats hard not to play with... I'll have mine friday hopefully in the AM.

I't killin me!! I know I'll be the one playing with it later though. She'll have me set it up for her after it's activated.

squibbles

Reaction score
Got my droid 2 yesterday actually from one of those independent kiosks at the mall. Here's my rundown (At least of things I personally cared about):

Keyboard: Much MUCH better. They don't look domed, but you can really "feel" the key presses. Coming from a G1, I'm still getting used to the lack of dedicated number keys. But overall, what turned me off from the original droid has been addressed imo.

Speed: I'm coming from a G1 running Super D w/ramhack. This is much smoother in comparison obviously, so I can't give much perspective here.

MotoBlur: I don't know how the original blur was. I saw photos of that crap and was a little apprehensive about how screwed up the droid 2 would be. It's actually not bad. I just hate how every time you slide to one of 7 homescreens, the homescreen selector pops up and covers the call, menu and contact handles at the bottom before it slides away, some times annoyingly slow. Turning off animations didn't help either. Please chime in if anyone has a workaround. I really do miss having a dedicated call and end button...

Battery: It ran down quickly yesterday, but I haven't had a chance to give it a full charge out of box either. I did use the phone for about 1.5 hours today and the maps/browser intermittently and so far so good at 70%. I'm pretty hopeful it will last the day and then some.

Bloatware: It has a category of its own, so yeah. There's plenty of it. I have Advanced Task Manager and notice the Skype Mobile and City ID always runs. Hopefully someone will successfully root the D2 so we can get rid of the stuff we don't need/use.

Not meant to be a review of any sort. Was answering about the keyboard and it sorta snowballed into this. Overall, I'm happy with it and will likely keep it IF it gets rooted and I can alter it to suit my tastes. As far as ROMS go, I can't really imagine a need to have to replace the stock one unless you can't stand the Motoblur.

Khaotic

Reaction score
Picked mine up a few hours ago and I love it. This is my first droid phone and a big step from my last one haha.

Bxrider117

Reaction score
Did you guys know that Verizon has an 1880mah extended battery available for the Droid 2. I ordered it today, to make me feel better about my Droid 1 and not giving into upgrading right now. If the two phones are similar then it should work with no problem. Here is the link: Enter your location

mjones1052

Reaction score
Traded in my Droid X for a Droid 2 today! Pretty happy with my decision so far even though I lost root and some features. The Droid X was just way too big for me and I was getting constant reboots, but this device feels much better in my hand and seems a lot more stable in the OS. Even though it's comparing Eclair to Froyo which is a major improvement.

mjones1052

Reaction score
Did you guys know that Verizon has an 1880mah extended battery available for the Droid 2. I ordered it today, to make me feel better about my Droid 1 and not giving into upgrading right now. If the two phones are similar then it should work with no problem. Here is the link: Enter your location

Yes, the Droid 1 and 2 both use the BP6X battery so it should be just fine. But apparently it comes with a new door, and considering the D1 is black and D2 is blue it might not look right, or even fit.

Last edited:

paletero

Reaction score
just picked mine up today. pretty neat. died quickly though. gonna pick up the extended battery later today

xandor

Reaction score
Picked mine up today. Love the speed and swype, wish I could get the gallery to show my picasa web albums like it did on my original Droid, and I'm deciding whether to keep their widgets or change everything.

HuJass

Reaction score
Picked up my D2 today at about 4:30 PM EST.
The battery was about half charged (maybe a bit more) and now it still seems to be at half charge.

My salesperson said they got 60 of them in today and that I was the 5th person to buy one.

This is my first Droid AND first smart phone.
It feels like there's gonna be a large learning curve.

Immolate

Reaction score
Congratulations all on your new Droid 2. I won't be switching from my X because, well, I just got it. Besides that I'm like a crack fiend for the big screen now that I've had it for a month. But I loved my Droid 1 and the 2's all that and better. You won't be sad when you feel that weight in your palm that seems more than a phone that size should weigh, and you see the gleam off the glass and the solid "thunk" of the slider. Yum. Qualitay.

crankyg

Reaction score
Mine will be here in the morning. I am excited and anxious.. I have the HTC Ozone atm.It's going to be an insane transition for me .WooHoo.. I know I will be back here, asking alot of silly questions, so thanks in advance :)

LostRedneck

Reaction score
I went in to my local VZW store this morning, asked about getting my early upgrade a month sooner since it was up in September, they said no.

I went in again after work, they said to call the call center, the guy i got changed the date for me with no problem. I so miss the open way my D1 was set up, with no Blur and it is going to take forever for me to get my d2 set like I want but all in all i still like the phone a lot. the keyboard is a LOT better and the extra onboard memory is very nice.

JWaters283

Reaction score
I received my Droid 2 from the fedex man at 12:32 pm est =) I have been playing with it straight since and I am speechless. I love this phone!!!