Droid 2 Owner Seeking Help to Root/ROM Droid 1

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by SWFLDroid, Jul 24, 2011.

1. SWFLDroid

SWFLDroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys-

I am a Droid 2 owner and, in spite of my relative ignorance of all things techy, have managed to root and flash Cyanogenmod 7 onto my Droid 2. Now my girlfriend, who is currently sporting a stock OG Droid, is very jealous of my lightning fast, smooth and sexy new phone and would like me to hook her up.

I have been reading and there is soooo much info on rooting/ROMs for the Droid 1 I am overwhelmed and don't know where to start. It is hard to know what is current, what is out of date, what works and what should be avoided. The most straightforward guide I could find is;

How to: Root Android 2.2 for the Motorola DROID - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Will that work?

She will not be doing much, if any customizing once I am done so I guess the best ROM for her would be, first and foremost STABLE! Also, fast and of course pretty to look at! Any particular ROM suggestions would be appreciated as well. Unless anybody tells me otherwise I will likely install Cyanogen on her phone since I like it so much on mine:)

2. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol Senior Member

Ratings:
    +23
    No that won't work http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-labs/74028-root-droid-1-regardless-os-version.html <-- is what you want. It is a bit long in reading, but the process itself isn't that long. The instructions document each step very well, so that you know what you are doing and why.

As for the ROM, if you want stability, I would recommend you stick a Froyo ROM of some sort on there. Sourcery, Droid Concepts, ChevyNo1's SS4.96, Cyanogen 6, Sapphire.....there are quite a few Froyo ROMs with different options and themes available. All should be quite stable and fast. I think Droid Concepts is still making Froyo ROMs, the others have either stopped making ROMs, moved onto Gingerbread ROMs, or moved onto a different phone (although Woodyman of DC I believe is working on the Droid3 now, not sure what that means for the DC ROM).

If you want to go with a Gingerbread ROM, they can be a bit buggy on the OG Droid for some folks. But CM7, MIUI, SS5.4, LGB, Project Elite, SteelDroid are all quite good. There is also Pete's "stock" gingerbread releases (in the Bugless section). I haven't had many problems myself recently with Gingerbread, I still wouldn't recommend it to someone who wants or needs stability as there definitely can be problems with these ROMs.

3. simon_lefisch

simon_lefisch Member

Ratings:
    +0