Droid 2 OTA Update soon?

efexay

Reaction score
I guess my question is, if we're rooted, but without a custom ROM, can we just take the OTA update without issue?

jasnmar

Reaction score
I've never used the radio, so don't know, sorry :)

OK, someone smarter than me needs to check this out before unleashing to the masses. Here's the story.

I already had an update.zip in my sdcard folder (from the previous manual update).

After bumbling around for a bit, I found a file in my cache folder called "Blur_Version.2.2.20.A955.Verizon.en.US.zip". I said that this can't be the right file. I'm looking for a 2.3.20 file... Copied the file anyway. Bumbled all around the folder structure and couldn't find anything "better".

After installing the update this file has vanished from my cache folder, so perhaps it is actually the correct file??? I don't know. The file is posted at http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10937565/Droid/Blur.zip but please use carefully.

I'm not going to post directions for how to manually update, as I'm not sure that this will work and would like someone who actually knows to test it first :)

jason

Cloppy

Reaction score
I guess my question is, if we're rooted, but without a custom ROM, can we just take the OTA update without issue?
Yes but you will loose root. From what I understand about it

efexay

Reaction score

I think it will be a slow answer. we don't know if they're sending out anything in the update that ****s up root users.. who wants to be a guinea pig??? dancedroid

*Luke*

Reaction score

^^^I second this, and to add to it, is there a sure-fire way to re-root after the update? Secondly, if we're running a custom ROM, say Fisson 1.2, is it going to break it if we were to update, re-root, and flash back to it?

efexay

Reaction score
I guess the safe thing to do would be unroot>wait for OTA>accept update>reroot. I just don't have time to figure out unrooting at the moment.

Cloppy

Reaction score

I think it will be a slow answer. we don't know if they're sending out anything in the update that ****s up root users.. who wants to be a guinea pig??? dancedroid

Root is just a file named su in the system partion superuser apk is a app that interfaces with it. The update will either delete it or reset the permissions on the file causing it to not work anymore the rest of the system isn't affected

efexay

Reaction score
thanks for that explantion Cloppy. hope you're right.

microsnook

Reaction score
I guess the safe thing to do would be unroot>wait for OTA>accept update>reroot. I just don't have time to figure out unrooting at the moment.

Well from what other users gather, we dont need to unroot in order to get the update.
However, I am rooted, and I have not received any updates.

Im thinking I may need to unroot to do so... Anyone else feel this way?

jasnmar

Reaction score
Post update permissions are changed. After I updated I tried su and received a "permission denied" message. The files were still there, but I wasn't allowed to use them anymore.
jason

jasnmar

Reaction score

Well from what other users gather, we dont need to unroot in order to get the update.
However, I am rooted, and I have not received any updates.

Im thinking I may need to unroot to do so... Anyone else feel this way?

According to Motorola the update hasn't gone out to everyone yet. I was rooted and received the update last night, so I don't think root status has anything to do with it. If you are running a custom ROM, that could certainly change things.

jason

Cloppy

Reaction score

^^^I second this, and to add to it, is there a sure-fire way to re-root after the update? Secondly, if we're running a custom ROM, say Fisson 1.2, is it going to break it if we were to update, re-root, and flash back to it?

Custom roms are different you will have to sbf back to default to update. As for rerooting if Motorola didn't patch the exploit allowing the su file to get on the system you will be able to run it again I would think