Droid 2 OTA Update soon?

everstar80

Reaction score
just got the update, is it gingerbread?

I just got the new ota update for the droid 2 and it is pretty remarkable compared to its performance before. Now I'm just wondering is this gingerbread or something else. The version listed on my device is version 2.3.2enUS when it was before version 2.2.20. So is it gingerbread because it was rumored to be 2.3,2.5, or even 3.0. So I'm curious to know if this is the beginning of gingerbread.

OP
R
Reaction score
Of course this is not gingerbread, google hasn't even announced it yet. You can go look, under settings > about phone. Android version is still 2.2, system version is the only thing that's changed.
I do have to say though, there's been a significant improvement in speed for the phone. Contacts no longer take an hour to load, motoblur is no longer laggy too.
Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

judd

Reaction score
did update, no backup, everything seems to be working. Will have to play with the phone awhile to see if everything is ok.dancedroid

txter

Reaction score
im rooted and running epic unleashed 2.5 ROM...ive tried twice to DL this update. it DLs fine but when i go to install it, it says it failed. so, this is only for stock ROMs and we must wait till a fresh build ROM comes out if you want the custom thing on your phone.
i read that this will also unroot your phone so you may need to go back and root again

NocturnalEMT

Reaction score
A Little Clarification.....

Let me begin by saying....1. I am a "noob", and 2. I have not "rooted" my phone, nor do I have any intention to "root" my phone because I have no idea what in the hell this means. Maybe the day when one of you nice and intelligent D2 phone people show me the light of "rooting", I will do it. Now, off to my questions:
1. What does this "gingerbread" thing you speak of mean...? And,
2. Where can I find the basic info. regarding the aforementioned "rooting" for my aforementioned "noobness"...? My curiosity is eating my duodenum from the inside out.

Also, I was able to update my system to the aforementioned update.

Now off to MW2, for a little noob tubing. :blackdroid:

NocturnalEMT

Reaction score
I have found the info I needed regarding the rooting....and gingerbread...:blackdroid:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
im rooted and running epic unleashed 2.5 ROM...ive tried twice to DL this update. it DLs fine but when i go to install it, it says it failed. so, this is only for stock ROMs and we must wait till a fresh build ROM comes out if you want the custom thing on your phone.
i read that this will also unroot your phone so you may need to go back and root again

Everything you said is correct. You need to go back to stock, remove the root from your phone in order to update.

loco-droid2

Reaction score
I have not got the update yet. I have been rooted a while but havent installed any custom roms. do i need to unroot before i can pull the update ?

pool_shark

Reaction score
I can't get it yet. Not sure that I want it right away either, I'm not currently having any real issues that need to be addressed.

OP
R
Reaction score

Everything you said is correct. You need to go back to stock, remove the root from your phone in order to update.

Hookbill, you do not need to remove the root from your phone in order to update. I was rooted when I installed the update, all it did was remove root access. I tried the method by euphorus on the droid 2 hack section twice, I couldn't gain root access again.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App